Archive data fun

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Archive data fun

Post by Lunkhead »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Lunkhead wrote:For anybody who's curious, there are currently 111 artists who entered 1 time and won 1 time:

http://sfjukebox.org/artists?maxFights=1&minWins=1

Horatio Nelson!
Ha ha ha. This makes me think of a really fantastic book I'm reading right now, "A Fraction of a Whole":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Fraction_of_the_Whole

In it a character becomes a notorious but beloved Australian vigilante by setting out on a campaign to murder or at least brutalize anyone engaged in any kind of dodgy behavior in any sport related capacity.

Anyway, that's a topic for a different thread...
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Lunkhead wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:
Lunkhead wrote:For anybody who's curious, there are currently 111 artists who entered 1 time and won 1 time:

http://sfjukebox.org/artists?maxFights=1&minWins=1

Horatio Nelson!
Ha ha ha. This makes me think of a really fantastic book I'm reading right now, "A Fraction of a Whole":

In it a character becomes a notorious but beloved Australian vigilante by setting out on a campaign to murder or at least brutalize anyone engaged in any kind of dodgy behavior in any sport related capacity.

That sounds awesome!

And shortlisted for the Booker Prize! I gotta get it. Thanks! - I had never heard of it before

From the New South Wales bush to bohemian Paris, from sports fields to strip clubs, from the jungles of Thailand to a leaky boat in the Pacific, Steve Toltz's A Fraction of the Whole follows the Deans on their freewheeling, scathingly funny and finally deeply moving quest to leave their mark on the world.
http://www.penguin.com.au/afractionofthewhole/

I have never been to Paris, but the rest of it:
From the New South Wales bush ..., from sports fields to strip clubs, from the jungles of Thailand to a leaky boat in the Pacific - sounds like I might be a character in it! Cool!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I thought it might appeal to you, just on the locations and characters alone. ;) One page I saw said it's been compared to "A Confederacy of Dunces". I think that's not a bad comparison, in terms of overall tone, and I quite liked that book as well.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Lunkhead wrote: it's been compared to "A Confederacy of Dunces". I think that's not a bad comparison, in terms of overall tone, and I quite liked that book as well.
I am also a big fan of Ignatious J O'Reilly.

I first read that book while living on Tarawa atoll. Liked it so much we named our pig after him.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Here's another tidbit, thrown out both in the name of self congratulation and because it is kinda interesting. Berkeley Social Scene now has received more votes than any other artist in Song Fight!*

Here are the top 20 vote getters in the archive:

Code: Select all

| Berkeley Social Scene                                                           |       1076 |
| Paco del Stinko                                                                 |       1075 |
| Ross Durand                                                                     |       1018 |
| Josh Woodward                                                                   |        884 |
| Melvin                                                                          |        876 |
| WreckdoM                                                                        |        729 |
| King Arthur                                                                     |        641 |
| MC Frontalot w/ Badddspellah                                                    |        614 |
| Johnny Cashpoint                                                                |        613 |
| Steve Durand                                                                    |        609 |
| Abominominous                                                                   |        559 |
| sonofsupercar                                                                   |        527 |
| Todd McHatton                                                                   |        468 |
| Hostess Mostess                                                                 |        455 |
| State Shirt                                                                     |        411 |
| Max The Cat                                                                     |        398 |
| The Hell Yeahs                                                                  |        390 |
| The Weakest Suit                                                                |        388 |
| MC Frontalot                                                                    |        354 |
| Boltoph                                                                         |        353 |
* This is only counting songs entered under the same artist name, meaning votes for "Berkelyn Social Scene" do not count towards the tally for "Berkeley Social Scene", and likewise for other folks and their collaborations and pseudonyms. Also this of course only includes fights for which the archive contains the voting data (it does not have voting data for many early fights).

It's interesting to see that MC Frontalot's single collab with Baddd Spellah is ranked #8. If it were combined with his 354 "solo" votes he'd be #4 with 968 votes. So, obviously, take all this with a large grain of salt.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Ha! I love how I am behind you guys by one vote. This is a great example of quality vs. quantity: Your good but fewer songs, and my less good but large catalog. Of course, I've still yet to vote for myself, so that must count for something. Or, uh, not count, that is.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Lunkhead wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:

Horatio Nelson!

That sounds awesome!

And shortlisted for the Booker Prize! I gotta get it. Thanks! - I had never heard of it before

From the New South Wales bush to bohemian Paris, from sports fields to strip clubs, from the jungles of Thailand to a leaky boat in the Pacific, Steve Toltz's A Fraction of the Whole follows the Deans on their freewheeling, scathingly funny and finally deeply moving quest to leave their mark on the world.
http://www.penguin.com.au/afractionofthewhole/

I have never been to Paris, but the rest of it:
From the New South Wales bush ..., from sports fields to strip clubs, from the jungles of Thailand to a leaky boat in the Pacific - sounds like I might be a character in it! Cool!
WTF Lunkhead?!?!?

I finally got around to buying this book...well almost...I bought the iPod talky version. Had a listen last week during a drive to Brisbane - ...depressionville....I don't blame you Lunkhead - I blame the back of the book blurb - it is pissing me off. BUT - it is not bad..as such. It is appalling me - but I do want to hear what happens next (I am up to the bit where the Dad is describing his childhood).... And a good book is one you want to keep reading...so this is still a good book..sort of...but I hate both characters so far..

This better get better Lunkhead...or I'lll....or I'll...write an ineffectual pop song about you! How do you like them apples!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Lunkhead wrote:Here's another tidbit, thrown out both in the name of self congratulation and because it is kinda interesting. Berkeley Social Scene now has received more votes than any other artist in Song Fight!*
Quantity is no match for quality.

At least, that is what the ladies always tell me...
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Lunkhead wrote:Here's another tidbit, thrown out both in the name of self congratulation and because it is kinda interesting. Berkeley Social Scene now has received more votes than any other artist in Song Fight!*

Here are the top 20 vote getters in the archive:

| Berkeley Social Scene                                                           |       1076 |
| Paco del Stinko                                                                 |       1075 |
| Ross Durand                                                                     |       1018 |
| Josh Woodward                                                                   |        884 |
| Melvin                                                                          |        876 |
| WreckdoM                                                                        |        729 |
| King Arthur                                                                     |        641 |
| MC Frontalot w/ Badddspellah                                                    |        614 |
| Johnny Cashpoint                                                                |        613 |
| Steve Durand                                                                    |        609 |
| Abominominous                                                                   |        559 |
| sonofsupercar                                                                   |        527 |
| Todd McHatton                                                                   |        468 |
| Hostess Mostess                                                                 |        455 |
| State Shirt                                                                     |        411 |
| Max The Cat                                                                     |        398 |
| The Hell Yeahs                                                                  |        390 |
| The Weakest Suit                                                                |        388 |
| MC Frontalot                                                                    |        354 |
| Boltoph                                                                         |        353 |
Could we extend this?

I have a special prize for whoever gives Caravan Ray his One Hundreth Vote!

Or even fiftieth....seriously - any zero-finishing cardinal number would be fine.
Just make sure that the giving of my prize does not affect the various court imposed restraining orders that have been applied around Caravan Ray Mansion. I mean..seriously..we are legally part of Equador...just let us be.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Here's the next 20. CR, you're #39 actually.

| Pompeii                         |        347 |
| Deshead                         |        340 |
| roymond                         |        315 |
| The Sober Irishman              |        304 |
| Lonbobby                        |        300 |
| Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff |        289 |
| Eddiebangs                      |        288 |
| Billy and the Psychotics        |        284 |
| Manhattan Glutton               |        283 |
| Jonathan Mann                   |        282 |
| Klownhole                       |        282 |
| Carol Cleveland Sings           |        276 |
| MC Hawking                      |        270 |
| Jordan Seavers                  |        267 |
| Jim of Seattle                  |        264 |
| Octothorpe                      |        262 |
| Brother Machine                 |        259 |
| Squirrel Damage                 |        252 |
| Caravan Ray                     |        251 |
| Future Boy                      |        249 |
I guess that book starts out pretty bleak. I don't know. I felt like the father's story about his childhood was pretty engrossing. It picks up more when he and his brother become adolescents. Less philosophizing without acting and more action.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Well, looky that. Man, Deshead and Pompeii were monsters. They still around?
🤠