Awesome Music (related) Videos

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Awesome Music (related) Videos

Post by roymond »

I dug this song when it came out (freshman year in college), but it got so over-played I turned against the 'Tramp. With all the years passed now, this cover is amazing. Plus, Nataly's voice just hits it. Yes, I've got a thing for this girl, but this puts her at a new level.

roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

I loved “Shameika” from Fiona Apple’s latest album, but I hadn’t seen the video. I was moved by this story and the response song “Shameika Said” from Shameika Stepney herself, and as a bonus finally watched the Fiona Apple video, which I thought was beautifully done.

Watch/listen to both, and read the article!

Jerkatorium
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, keyboards
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Matchy Matchy, Hanky Code, All the Robots

Post by Jerkatorium »

I trawl archive.org a lot for footage to use in music videos, and recently I happened upon a treasure trove of "Al TV":

https://archive.org/details/ALTVComplete

When I was a teenager back in the mid-to-late 80s, every other year or so Weird Al Yankovic would take over MTV for a few hours and really f*ck sh*t up. At the time it was innovate and hilarious, and I think it still holds up well. I remember those takeovers as being very poorly publicized, so it was a delightful surprise if I happened to catch an Al TV. Due to the limitations of cable TV and recording equipment it tended to be a ephemeral experience - I'd just soak it in with the knowledge that I'd never see any of it again. But now they're here, and I only had to wait 30 years!

I've been making my way through these recordings (streaming them, since it's an intimidating aggregate 35GB download) and they're still great. Also some of the installments give a weird time capsule peek into mid-80s to mid-90s pop culture with videos of bands I don't remember at all, and advertisements for products I have no memory of, but they give a good (sometimes bewildering) picture of the aesthetic of the time.
"Yes, I am a Muppet with B.O.; this song speaks to me." - Manhattan Glutton
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

owl wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:53 am
I loved “Shameika” from Fiona Apple’s latest album, but I hadn’t seen the video. I was moved by this story and the response song “Shameika Said” from Shameika Stepney herself, and as a bonus finally watched the Fiona Apple video, which I thought was beautifully done.
Just got this recommended to me on YouTube this morning, which answers some questions I had about the video clip!

Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Recently found this one through the excellent MPW podcast (which you can find via https://musicproductionforwomen.com/ )

Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!