Think You're The Only One?

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Think You're The Only One?

Post by Spud »

That's the title of a new book out by Seth Brown, subtitled "Oddball Groups Where Outsiders Fit In".

We're on page 112, between "Solid Rock (Climbers for Christ)" and "The Space Hijackers".

Most of the write-up is the results of your feedback in <a href="http://www.dumbrella.com//ubb/ultimateb ... 1183">this thread</a>, posted by Fightmaster Jr. back in May.

Excerpts from the part not written by us:

"Song Fight! has minimal requirements for entering a song, and (for better or worse) songs aren't judged before being posted".

"Membership in the community is optional and is kept separate from a musician's ability to submit songs, but if someone chooses not to participate in the community at all, they'd be missing out."

Published by Barnes and Noble.
Available at Barnes and Noble for $7.95
More about the author and the book at http://www.risingpun.com

Oh, and it's in the humor section. Go figure. :roll:

Is the book worth buying? That depends. It was a no brainer for me, just cuz of the Song Fight! mention. If you are thinking there might be information about your favorite sexual fetish, you will be disappointed, as the author steers clear of this area for the most part. The 63 organizations discussed range from the serious to the frivolous, although I don't want to judge anyone in particular by specifying which is which. Here are a few samples, however, which cut across the spectrum:

The Banana Club
The International Association of Drunk Bastards
Mothers Against Peeing Standing Up
The North American Association of Ventriloquists
The Society for Basic Irreproducable Research
The World Beard and Moustache Championships

For the most part, as with our write-up, a good two thirds of the writing is done by the members themselves, in the form of interviews and answers to questions, so the writing quality varies. The author introduces each group with a few paragraphs of his own, and he is clever enough. I have gotten a few chuckles, but have not been able to bring myself to read it cover to cover.

As yet another piece of Song Fight! memorobilia, however, it's priceless. I'm a sucker for that stuff.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Think You're The Only One?

Post by Sober »

Spud wrote:The World Beard and Moustache Championships
My old roommate (yes, THAT one), went to last year's competition in Las Vegas. He was like, REALLY excited about it. Dork.

*edit: also, hooray for us.
🤠
Justincombustion
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums. Drums. Drums.
Recording Method: Whatever that stuff in Glenn's basement is.
Submitting as: HalfRacks, Drink/Drank/Drunk, Baby In the Corner, Chuck the Bear

Re: Think You're The Only One?

Post by Justincombustion »

Mothers Against Peeing Standing Up

Crazy man, crazy.
"When you can balance a tack-hammer on your head; you can then head off you opponent with a balanced attack!"