Song Fight Presents in Pennsylvania- April 1, 2006

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

Thank you everyone for showing at the SF:PA event. Bjam and I had a great time despite the rushing around to get everything in place for this.

The performance's were awesome and audience appreciative of everyone's efforts.

With only one technical glitch in the evening I was delighted we got what we did out of the resources available to us.

Bill (Heuristic's Inc.) will be hosting the audio as soon as I get it mixed-down and mastered. It will be mono only folks due to limitations with the number of sources I could record on Bjam's laptop and we did lose one set during the hard disk glitch that we had. Otherwise everything is intact and I will do everything I can to normalize the levels.

Thank you to Eric for bringing additional monitoring, I believe the performers all benefited from being able to hear the monitor feed. Thank you for those who helped me strip down and load the gear at the night's end, that was much appreciated.

Then it was off to Minella's for Homefries and Waffle with bannan and syrup. Yummy at midnight.

Was great seeing you all.
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

Awesome! It sounds and looks like it was a really good show. It's nice to vicariously put some faces to names, too.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

This was great, though I must say me and my crew travelled ourselves ragged. Thanks a million to Stuey and Bjam, and to everyone who showed up and played. I'm going to go sleep now.

ps - I look so fat in those pictures.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Last night was a blast. Everyone did an awesome job. A huge thanks to Bjam and Steuym. Stuart, you did an incredible job setting up everything. Thank you so very much. And Bjam, you were the perfect hostess/ emcee. Plus you are the coolest (and most mature) 16 year old I've ever met.

The music was incredible. Highlights for me included "Plane" by RS&C; "Shreds" by Brick Pig; "Fight the Sea" by HInc (it was Asya & I who started the clapping); "Too Far Away" by Noah (I loved doing that song); "The Ballad of Rone Rivendale" (that was pure comic genius); "Blue Signal" by the Landfills (the heart attack was the best); "Gin or Ginseng" by Feldspar (which I played on my kazoo the rest of the night); "Acid Mouth" by FBF (he's such a rockstar) and I dug my set too. It was a great night.

I was happy to met all of y'all. Asya, I'm holding you to your word and we're songfighing. Bill, yes I know you forgot. Oh well. It was a blast. We have to do another east coast show. Maybe SF-NJ.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

we've got half a slew of pictures too, they're forthcoming when we feel less lazy (and less sleepy!).

had an awesome time yesterday... so cool to finally meet so many people (and also see a couple familiar faces again). everybody there was super friendly and nice, and everyone's set ended up sounding great -- not a bad moment all evening, and most people sounded better in person than over the internet...

thanks so much to bjam and family for all the work arranging the show, and thanks to everybody else, just for being there and for being cool people. (in case i didn't mention, we probably slept about 3 hours this morning..)
Niveous wrote:Asya, I'm holding you to your word and we're songfighing.
she asked me to tell you, whenever you want to write a song, she'll help sing it.
a bebop a rebop
Push Comes to Shove

Post by a bebop a rebop »

Awesome awesome awesome, thanks so much Stuart for the admirable taxi services provided, not to mention Bjam and Stueym for putting on this awesome show.

Awesome.

ps can we get a link to a bigger version of that awesome collage pic of Niveous and assorted bandmates on We Have The Technology?
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

hey evan, love the shirt!
Hi!
adjuster
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Jeskola Buzz
Recording Method: OH, GOD, THE PAIN!
Submitting as: The Landfills

"The Landfills"...

Post by adjuster »

...have returned to Ohio safe and sound, about twelve (12) hours after we started this morning. It was a good drive back, though the Pennsylvania turnpike is _expensive_!

We had a _great_ time. It's always great to see everybody we've already met again, as well as to meet all the new people. Special props to Bjam, Stueym, and Bjam's mum for putting the show together and taking time out of their personal lives for us songfighters. Props also to TVIYH, Luke and Bethany for helping out on my live song. I really enjoyed performing it w/ you guys. (I really need to play w/ live musicians more... It's fun-- I'm just not seasoned at it at all...) And to everybody else: Thanks for coming. It was great to hang out w/ you guys, put some names to faces, and hear everybody play.

We'll go thru our pictures as soon as we can bring ourselves to walk back down to the car and pick up the camera. I don't want to even think about unloading the drum set-- I'll do that tomorrow. After work. Late. Good thing I've got another car to drive while the drum set sits in the car in the garage... *smile*

If somebody could post their hi-res picture of the group shot at the end of the evening, that would be really cool. Maybe we can Photoshop(tm) Stueym and Brick Pig into one shot together, too... That'd rock.
"A person who is born with extraordinary natural talents, or who is extremely lucky, deserves nothing on the basis of these characteristics." - Edwin C. Hettinger
--
The Attitude Adjuster, Arugably the remaining half of "The Landfills"
adjuster
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Jeskola Buzz
Recording Method: OH, GOD, THE PAIN!
Submitting as: The Landfills

"The Shirtfills"...

Post by adjuster »

jack wrote:hey evan, love the shirt!
Tee-hee... Home silk-screening w/ a wal-mart picture frame, some con-tac paper, and some gauzy fabric stretched over it... *smile*

"The Landfills" cannot be stopped-- only impeded severely.
"A person who is born with extraordinary natural talents, or who is extremely lucky, deserves nothing on the basis of these characteristics." - Edwin C. Hettinger
--
The Attitude Adjuster, Arugably the remaining half of "The Landfills"
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

a bebop a rebop wrote: ps can we get a link to a bigger version of that awesome collage pic of Niveous and assorted bandmates on We Have The Technology?
It was actually from a video (link coming soon)

Here's a bigger photo too.
Last edited by Bjam on Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Songfighter since back in the day.
feldspar
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Mostly gin

Post by feldspar »

Hey, I'm back home safe and sound, after two busses, two trains, two subways, a mile or two of walking and a couple Penn Station hot dogs. Thank you Bjam and Stueym for hosting us all, and thank you to Ben for driving me around and putting up with me all weekend.

I had a ton of fun despite the insane amount of traveling. Can't wait to hear how the recordings came out!

(by the way, that's not <i>my</i> sparkly pink guitar strap in those pictures, but now I think I have to go buy one of my own.)
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Bjam wrote:
a bebop a rebop wrote: ps can we get a link to a bigger version of that awesome collage pic of Niveous and assorted bandmates on We Have The Technology?
It was actually from a video... (It's a big video though)

Here's a bigger photo too.
Can we see the video of "We Have the Technology"? Though, I am happy to see that your Britney was reserved for posterity.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Bjam
Ice Cream Man

Post by Bjam »

Gah. Totally uploaded the wrong one.

Here's the correct video. :)
Egg
Mean Street
Instruments: whistles and egg shakers
Recording Method: Cakewalk, Cubase, Audacity, Garageband
Submitting as: Phunt Your Friends

Post by Egg »

WeaselSlayer wrote:I look so fat in those pictures.
P-H-A-T.
Thanks for the phone call.
glug glug glug egg makes wine. You can make wine too.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Niveous wrote:"Fight the Sea" by HInc (it was Asya & I who started the clapping);
Yeah! Michelle told me this at the hotel later, it was awesome. Thanks, you guys rock.

Stuart/Bjam: you guys totally rock for setting this up.

J$: Sorry, I totally got lost in the middle of "Wednesday" - it turns out the song is pretty tough to do live :)

Eric/Noah/Ben: you guys are awesome. Thanks for helping!

Heh, in the back of the Niv video you can totally see my mess of cables and stuff on the table.

So which set was lost from the recording? Was it Landfills?
Niveous wrote: Bill, yes I know you forgot.
I'll send it to you in the mail ;)

I have some photos from Michelle's camera to upload, hopefully tonight. I fell asleep watching MST3K last night instead :)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Verbatim
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Verbatim »

adjuster wrote:If somebody could post their hi-res picture of the group shot at the end of the evening, that would be really cool. Maybe we can Photoshop(tm) Stueym and Brick Pig into one shot together, too... That'd rock.
TVIYH (Eric) and I were planning on doing that when we felt up to it but I can post both pictures that we have, I think the first with Brick Pig is the better one then someone can photoshop Stueym in, we do have photoshop but tend to be on the lazy side after long weekends so in case anyone would like to do it sooner I will post what we have.
I just wanted to say personally I had a wonderful time meeting everyone, I am very happy that I decided to come along with Eric. I understand now why he loves songfight so very much.
Big Ern- You're awesome and you rock, I have been waiting to meet you for over a year and it was deffinatly worth every minute. I am sure we will be lifelong friends, you crack me up.
(I should have titled this one "Just put it in your mouth")
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/ ... onthis.jpg
(TVIYH and Niveous pointing at Songfight poster)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/ ... poster.jpg
(TVIYH Niveous and BZL outside on break talking about how Uma Thurman is a man)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/ ... iyhbzl.jpg
(Niveous showing some chest hair and me making an awful face)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/ ... CT0067.jpg
Bjam- You did a great job hosting, you are a wonderfully mature 16 year old and adorable to boot!
(Bjam @ the Diner)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/ ... CT0065.jpg
(Once again pointing but adorable pointing)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/ ... CT0063.jpg
Stueym- Great job hosting and keeping everyone in check. You are very talented and your wife is so sweet I can see why your daughter is just as sweet! You have a great family!
Noah- Nice meeting you, great voice keep up the good work! I will keep listening.
(They should have played in here)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/ ... lnoah3.jpg
(Posing can be such fun btw TVIYH made me crop him out because his eyes were closed)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/ ... tbreak.jpg
Frankie- So glad I finally got to hear you play live, what an amazing set of pipes you have there. You really should be uber famous by now!
Brick Pig- Your set was great, I was blown away.
Adjuster- WOW! Cool set, you are one of a kind!
If I forgot anyone it wasn't intentional it's pretty early and I wanted to wrap this up by adding some funny pictures. We do have a ton more but the lighting is awful and our camera was freaking out because of it. So if any seem off color that's why. Also if anyone wants these emailed or something to them let me know, I am sure most of you are smart enough not to need my help though. So nevermind heh. Thanks again for the good time all. Can't wait for another show!
Fav of the night goes to "Fight the Sea" HeuristicsInc!! Great Job!!!
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Hey Everybody,
I know I'm not the most sociable person at these events, but I enjoyed meeting everyone and hearing you play. I especially liked Luke Henley and Feldspar. Thanks Bethany and Stuey for setting the whole thing up and for being my Garfunkels.
--Frankie Big Face
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Re: "The Landfills"...

Post by Eric Y. »

adjuster wrote:It was a good drive back, though the Pennsylvania turnpike is _expensive_!
compared to what? from king of prussia all the way to the ohio border, we paid a total of $17.25 -- we were assuming before the trip we'd be paying well over $20 each way...

(oh and we went to ohio because my daughter spent the weekend with my mom in cleveland, and we met them halfway sunday afternoon, which was at the rt.7 exit just across the state border).

(although, going to that exit to and from the eastgate tollbooth, it was only $0.50 each way)
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Verbatim wrote:
Fav of the night goes to "Fight the Sea" HeuristicsInc!! Great Job!!!
Wow, that made my day! Thanks!

Here are some thoughts:
raw strength and courage - i keep forgetting that this is bjam and stueym. bjam's got an awesome voice, very strong. these two work really well together and we're impressed that they'll do this sort of thing, most highschoolers wouldn't want to been seen with their dad this way :) that song with the cool guitar effect was great. m says: "never say 'i won't crack up this time' because that will get you into trouble" :)

brick pig - Great set. Although I think I was distracted by preparing myself for my own set up next, so I'll have to refresh my memory with the recordings.

heuristics inc. - wasn't too nervous which is good. made a few errors. you can see what looks like the result of one of those in the 3rd picture of bjam's. can't wait to hear what i sounded like from the audience.

noah - hope everybody now came out ok and my "harmonizing" backup vocals weren't too out of tune :) really enjoyed noah's set.

niveous - sounded great. i was pleased at the song selections.

luke henley - i think your music comes alive in the live setting... er, that's meant to be a meaningful comment rather than a statement of obviosity. i mean it sounded great live. the ballad was awesome.

landfills - totally enjoyed this, especially "dirty chucks" which is my favorite landfills song. it was good that there was another set with electronic-style stuff in it. so sad that this recording did not make it. nice talking to you guys at the diner. if we do another of the same live shows, we should totally do the merged "everyone wants to be a dirty chuck."

bjam's cover tune - so this did get recorded? it was great. way better than the original, michelle says, "it's not dirty like the original sounds" :)

feldspar - sounded really good. my favorite is "fight the sea" - i've always liked your version. also the lyrics in "insects" are cool.

frankie - the banjo was a nice touch. i thought especially that frankie & bjam harmonized really well, your voices meshed very nicely. Don't remember now which was my favorite... I'll have to hear the recordings to remind me.

extra stuff - fun. sorry, niv, don't know the song so I couldn't sing backup :) These were cool.

Anyway it was a FUN night. So glad we could come up for this. Cool to meet everybody!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Bjam
Ice Cream Man

Post by Bjam »

HeuristicsInc wrote: bjam's cover tune - so this did get recorded? it was great. way better than the original, michelle says, "it's not dirty like the original sounds" :)
Oh, I can't do dirty, that's the only reason why it didn't sound dirty. ;) And it's only recorded in a video that my friend did on my digital camera.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

that was stated as a good thing :)
-bill
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Audio tracks are up!

Post by stueym »

See the SF:PA Audio thread HERE for the audio from the event.

Each mp3 is a set of the performer (with some overlap of individuals between sets). As stated before the noise level is from the recording not the mixing/mastering. With the equipment we were using, the close proximity of everything and everything running off a single outlet, I think we were just cursed to have some noise problems.

If someone really wants the WAV's I can get them to them if they want to try cleaning it up more, but I found that NOT using headphones and playing it through speakers made it pretty bearable to listen to.

Enjoy!!!....and can Bill and I now please have our fastest ever posted event sound files award please :-)
Last edited by stueym on Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."