Carpetburn in Soho

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
Cärpetbürn
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Carpetburn in Soho

Post by Cärpetbürn »

...a whole different kind of nerdcore

Carpetburn
Pop, 14 Soho St.
London
Wednesday 19th (that's tomorrow then)
8:30pm
5 bands for £5.50

fancy it j$??
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Carpetburn in Soho! This could almost be a tabloid headline. Have a good show, although it doesn't look like you'll be headlining that club on a Friday night anytime soon according to their schedule! (no offense, of course)
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Well worth a £500 flight :D
Carpetburn - 75% Fat Free
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

You know I would have fancied it, but I am in Oxford until the 8th August and then on holiday for two weeks from the 12th, so neither of these dates are/were any good for me. But if I am in London, and you lot are, of course I'd be there ....

j$
Cärpetbürn
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Cärpetbürn »

Just in...

Carpetburn @ The Ditch Bar, Shoreditch, London - 10th August
Onstage: 10pm
entry: errr....a fiver? or something
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Hey, thursday? Me with a week off, you say? I might just venture into the wilds of Shoreditch for this, although I might need to renew my passport first...

Although I am rather put off by the gratuitous tit shots on their website
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

So I finally got round to seeing Carpetburn play tonight, and they were good enough for me to be inspired into writing this:

Superted, S/M and 70s 'Tard Dancing - Carpetburn Live at Pop, 10th October '06
I despair of London sometimes. I have just witnessed a great gig, whooped, shaken my booty (in a very quiet, British way, mind) and generally totally appreciated a band that was energetic, toon-laden, and leaking sexy-geek-chic from all pores. Yet the majority of the audience who had hollered and stamped their feet through some mindless pap for the previous hour, seemed far more interested in snogging their uglier girlfriends and swigging their fashionable beers than listen to a band made up of people they didn't know making better music than they'll probably hear again all month.

Pop is an OK venue, although if I am honest the best things about it are the 1970's brown & orange wallpaper, and its proximity to a slightly crappy Hare Krishna resteraunt. Got my times wrong, so I was there at 8.30 when Carpetburn were on at 9.30, which meant in the interim I had to endure two of the worst acts I have ever stumbled across. The first one were so twee-tedious they inspired me to the couplet 'So terrible and ugly / wished you floated like Jeff Buckley'. The second one had a song called (I kid you not) 'Loss-mas Day', as in Xmas only with the losing not the getting. God, I came so close to walking out - had they been Songfighting, I would have got 23 seconds in, appromixately, before moving on in the stream, like a salmon with a desperate urge to lay its eggs, or just get away from some awful acoustic-shit-musik.

Glad I didn't. Not only did I have time to get a little tipsy, but as a result of waiting, I was able to ascertain that Carpetburn rock! Officially (so far) 'Better Live than on Record' by a long, long way - I must admit I have never quite got them on Songfight, where they seemed to me a band for debating labels - pavement-esque, 'post-rock', whatever - instead of a band capable of making you get down and doing a spazzy dance that you finish and realise everyone's staring at you. That must be their recording set-up, I can now confidently declare, because, well, the triumverate of 'She Gave Up', 'Superted's Secret Word' and 'Pelican Cancel Button' absolutely cheered me up and made me do that spazzy dance of which I have just been speaking! In a way I was pleased to have endured the two city-bankers-picking-up-their-acoustics-at-the-end-of-a-long-day-making-shedloads-of-cash, if only to remind me of how f**king good pretty much everyone on Songfight is, but Carpetburn especially, compared to the dross that circle stages the world over, and think saying things like 'hey we're not very tight but the songs themselves are great' somehow make it true.

So, towards the beginning of the set, the band were making self-deprecating remarks. I didn't get it at first, until then i looked around and realised, in Pop tonight at least, the stereotype of smug, arrogant, unfriendly, spoilt middle-class bores, was being fulfilled. Like I said, sometimes I despair of London. Well, let it be said, the comment about the 'hate-clapping' wasn't entirely accurate - I was whoopin' and a squealin' from a 'thank god for some good music at last' place, but also from a 'what is wrong with the rest of you idiots - these are cool!' place.

Anyway you have a new fan as a result of a really enjoyable gig tonight, and when you play round my way again, i will try my best to drag along some more people who might appreciate you for what you are - a very cool rock band.

Only one tip -rename 'Superted's Secret Word' - it makes me think of 'Superted's Safe Word' and that's not an image I need to be taking into the mild October evening.

ps sorry I couldn't hang around and talk with you later. I am chronically shy, which at least means I can maintain an air of mystery until next time :)
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

a bit short notice, but we're playing in Camden on Wednesday night if any Lahndahnas can make it