Song Fight! Comp CD

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Song Fight! Comp CD

Post by blue »

So duplication with color on-CD printing and a decent li'l insert is about $2 a CD. Divided up a little, that means we could make some songfight comps for a low per-band cost, and then give em away or sell them at shows. So I made a web page where you can put money in a kitty and when we get enough money, we'll make the first Songfight Comp CD.

The page explains the process, more or less. If someone only wants 5 CDs I can make another option for a $15 entry.

I need someone to do the art and stuff for it. Well, I don't NEED someone to do it, but no one wants ME to do it, I promise you that.

The basic idea is that you remix your favorite of your songfight entries (no non-songfight songs) and get them as good as you can get them, then send me an original. I will put em all together and master the CD, then send it off to be duped. The lovely and talented SFCOMP, Inc. fulfillment center will then take the bulk CDs, repack em, and send them out to you.

Here is the webpage:
:arrow: http://www.songhole.org/sfcomp.html

Please no whining.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Sweet idea, Blue. Can I just confirm that once people get their CDs, they can do whatever they like with them - give them away, sell them on, make coffe mats out of them? If so, I won't be doing it myself because I'm not into money being made out of my music, but it's a really good idea.

J$
blue
Ice Cream Man

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Post by blue »

yes, you can do anything you want to with the CDs when you get them, including selling them for millions and millions of dollars.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

i'd be up for this... but i am dead broke... :-\... and i owe a good 400+ of money that i don't have... so i'll remain broke for quite sometime
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

That's hot.

I'm raising my hand as "someone who would be into doing art for this thing."

Now, what song to use.......

(dot dot dot.)
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

When you ship the CD, will it be USPS or a parcel service? This is important because I have a college residence PO Box, and a room. USPS doesn't deliver to the room, parcel services don't deliver to the PO Box. Otherwise, I'm in.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

USPS media rate unless someone wants to pay for some other shipping method

I think Spud wants to do at least the first one for art and layout, so we have a good base to build from.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

PS you gots a typo in the title bar of that web page.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Oh, this is badass. I'm definitely in.
People at my solo shows are starting to bug me about a CD, so anyone who gets on board can at least expect to be heard by strangers in the sticks.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

I am vascillating about this - i do want to do it, but what song, and when I get it together to paypal is another thing... is it a first-come first-served, when I've got enough people, I'll create a CD thing? Can I register interest with caassshhhh to follow?

It occured to me that a) I'm not making any money and b) if someone does, they can donate any j$ share of 'profit' to songfight or something.

J$
Last edited by j$ on Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

yay!

-craig
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

j$ wrote:Can I register interest with caassshhhh to follow?
i'm sure most people are interested, but the people who pay the money are those who get to be involved.
j$ wrote: It occured to me that a) I'm not making any money and b) if someone does, they can donate any j$ share of 'profit' to songfight or something.
you can make as much money as you want, but don't expect any profit sharing, largely because don't expect anyone else to make any profit either.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Sounds cool; I'm in.

I'm also up for doing art/design for this thing if you want.

Anyone have any recommendations as to which song(s) I should include?
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

the web site is updated with the people who are actually signed up. 6 slots left!

please note that altho i said i'd send it off as soon as i got the money, this is filling up a little faster than i expected so we may spend some time waiting on art and layout.

also, feel free to remix or re-record your song! make it as good as you can make it!
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

blue wrote:i'm sure most people are interested, but the people who pay the money are those who get to be involved.
For sure. Just because I'm not a big fan of money and music being bed fellows doesn't mean I don't respect 'put your money where your mouth is' I guess what I meant to ask/implied was once the cd is full, will there be another following right on? Or is this a once-only deal?
blue wrote:[you can make as much money as you want, but don't expect any profit sharing, largely because don't expect anyone else to make any profit either.
See above. I was asking from a wanting the answer to be no point of view. In justifying my possible sign-up I wanted to make that stipulation - if anyone sells the cd and wants to give back to the artists, give my share to a charity.

All that said, I won't have any money in my account until the end of the week, when all the slots will doubtless be consumed anyway.

So keep on keeping on ...
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

Money and songs sent.

01. Between The Rain
02. Silent Pipe

HOWEVER, I see we have the opportunity to re-record. I hadn't thought that would be permitted, but it would be to my benefit to do so. If there's time, I'd like to revisit these songs and provide cleaner versions.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

j$ wrote: All that said, I won't have any money in my account until the end of the week, when all the slots will doubtless be consumed anyway.
Paypal lets you charge a credit card for back-up funds. Which is what I had to do, to the tune of $0.78.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

whether i do it again or not depends on how much of a pain in my ass it is, how well it turns out, and how jb and spud feel about it when the time comes around.

but i don't have any kind of patent on sending songs to musician's friend. anyone can do this.
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

An Excellent idea, though I have a few questions, if you'd be so kind.
Is the CD going to be a real (aiff) CD?
What's the postage to UK roughly?
How long do we have to remix?
What Bit rate should master mp3's be at, and what is an unmastered wav?

Cheers
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Kamakura wrote:An Excellent idea, though I have a few questions, if you'd be so kind.
Is the CD going to be a real (aiff) CD?
What's the postage to UK roughly?
How long do we have to remix?
What Bit rate should master mp3's be at, and what is an unmastered wav?

Cheers
follow the link given on the project page. it is a "real" CD. CD audio isn't aiff, tho.
what's your postal code?
a week? i dunno. do it now.
whatever sounds best. the highest ABR you can get if you must use mp3. an unmastered wav is your mix without normalizing or bus compression/maximization.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

blue wrote:CD audio isn't aiff, tho.
I think it can be, actually, if I remember right you used AIFF on a mac when you burn CDs. The CD audio isn't technically WAV either, as you only write the raw data to the disk after dumping the header info. AIFF I believe is the same, with different header stuff which is also dumped.
But I could be wrong.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

You're right Bill. Aiff is the mac fomat, though I thought it was universal (audio interchange file format).

I've sent the dosh.