Glenn Case Online Concert in 30 minutes

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Glenn Case Online Concert in 30 minutes

Post by Lunkhead »

I just realized this never got posted to the boards. Glenn Case, Song Fight! legend, has a live concert happening online at 8PM Pacific US time (slightly less than 30 minutes from now). Check it out! It's $1+ (you decide how much) to watch.

https://www.concertwindow.com/shows/6860-glenn-case
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Re: Glenn Case Online Concert in 30 minutes

Post by ken »

Did anyone check this out? I was AFK while it was happening.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I did, it was fun! Glenn played some songs, Rachael joined him for some. They did originals and covers. Turnout was low, sadly, only 8 people. Also there was some audio clipping. He probably needs to run the audio through a compressor to handle that (turning down to avoid clipping just made everything not at max volume nearly too soft to hear). The Concert Window site is pretty sparse on features at this point, but it could be cool if they can keep it going and build on it. Right now as a listener you can tip and you can send very simple chat messages.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Maybe if he'd told us about it, more of us could have attended.... Oh well.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

sorry i couldn't make it.... i heard about it. maybe you weren't paying attention enough, fluffy ;)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I only saw anything about it on Facebook. I don't know if he cross-posts stuff to G+ these days, or if has some reason for not posting stuff to the boards. Next time if I see something I'll cross post it here sooner.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Even if he posts to G+ as well as Facebook, that's two places I never check for anything.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

fluffy wrote:Even if he posts to G+ as well as Facebook, that's two places I never check for anything.
Moot point; he doesn't.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

fluffy wrote:Even if he posts to G+ as well as Facebook, that's two places I never check for anything.
Congrats, you win the snarky Internet dipshit of the day award, thanks for playing. :roll:
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Lunkhead wrote:
Congrats, you win the snarky Internet dipshit of the day award, thanks for playing. :roll:
I'm sorry if you think I was being snarky. I was legitimately voicing an issue.

You (and I'm assuming Glenn) were disappointed in how many people showed up to watch. More people would have shown up to watch if more people knew it was going on before it happened.

Facebook is a terrible place to share things about future events because 1) not everyone is on it and 2) it's a goddamn firehose of information that nobody can keep up with. Twitter has the same problem; it looks like he posted about it to Twitter, but even though I do check Twitter often it's unlikely that I'd have seen it there. Because it's a goddamn firehose of information.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

OK, sorry I misinterpreted it as snark. And while I don't love Facebook, I don't really agree with your points:

"Facebook is a terrible place to share things about future events because not everyone is on it"

You could make that criticism of all social networks. And with "a billion" users (real users of course is likely lower) I think it actually applies least to Facebook. For many folks, it's close enough to "everyone" so they don't care that it isn't literally everyone.

"Facebook is a terrible place to share things about future events because it's a goddamn firehose"

Again you could make that criticism of any social network (at least the ones I'm aware of). It doesn't apply any more to Facebook necessarily than to Twitter (as you even acknowledged) etc. And furthermore, I would actually argue that Twitter is a worse place then Facebook because Facebook at least has a built-in notion of "events", which have a whole lifecycle that can involve you getting notified and reminded about the event.

Twitter doesn't have that, although it looks like there are some sites that try to offer that as a separate service tied in to Twitter. I would bet they don't have nearly the traction among Twitter users that Facebook events have among Facebook users, since they are not a native part of the Twitter experience.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Facebook doesn't fuck around with their stats:

802 million daily active users on average in March 2014
609 million mobile daily active users on average in March 2014
1.28 billion monthly active users as of March 31, 2014
1.01 billion mobile monthly active users as of March 31, 2014
Approximately 81.2% of our daily active users are outside the U.S. and Canada

All from http://newsroom.fb.com/company-info/

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I haven't been on Facebook for years so I didn't know about events. Those must be (relatively) new.

But my main goddamn point is that if it's something of interest to Song Fight people, a good place to post about it is on the Song Fight forums. Obviously there are more people on Facebook than on Song Fight, but among the people who would actually want to watch the concert, I suspect that a lot of people are on the Song Fight forums who would not have seen it posted on Facebook. (Also it could have been submitted to Song Fight's Song News, for the three people who use its RSS feed. Well, no, I just looked at the HTTP logs and it looks like there's actually quite a few people who use it. For what it's worth.)

Also, just because Facebook has a lot of user accounts doesn't mean that all of them are being frequently checked. Even when I did have an account I only checked it once a week and usually only skimmed the most recent things before giving up in disgust. That would still make it count as an "active user." I know a shitton of people who are on Facebook but aren't really "on" it, per se. The stats JB linked to indicate that they only consider a user to be "active" if they've logged in at least once in the past month.

All I am saying is that posting about the concert to Facebook and Twitter but not to Song Fight is not a good way to bring attention to it for many Song Fight people.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

fluffy wrote: The stats JB linked to indicate that they only consider a user to be "active" if they've logged in at least once in the past month.

All I am saying is that posting about the concert to Facebook and Twitter but not to Song Fight is not a good way to bring attention to it for many Song Fight people.
I agree, shame we didn't have more notice here, though I am an extremely active Facebook user and didn't see it there either. The vagaries of the algorithm, ah well.

I do have occasiona to be intimately familiar, professionally, with Facebook and their stats. They're not looking to inflate anything-- they don't have to. If you just log in once a month, they don't count that as an active user. They rigorously hunt out fake accounts.

And don't miss the 800 million "daily active" accounts. That is people who log in every day and do something. (You basically stay logged in, so it's not really a count of "who logged in").

Anyway, neither here nor there. Hope the concert was awesome, I'm sure it was. :)

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yeah, I'm sorry I missed it. Doesn't look like this service records concerts for later, either, which is a shame. Hopefully Glenn will run another one and we'll know about it ahead of time. :)

Also I wonder how hard it is to get approved to do a concert there. I do see one has to apply for it, and most of their concerts look like they're broadcasts of professionally-run events.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

my friend nick did one from his basement. i don't think you need it to be professionally run. however, in order to be promoted by the site, you may.
that "have to be there on time every time" does fall prey to those of us that have difficult schedules.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Toby Roktot
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Drums
Recording Method: Zoom, two turntables and a microphone....
Submitting as: Toby Roktot

Post by Toby Roktot »

uh....don't know if there's any interest but, i'm doing a benefit set for puebloapueblo on concertwindow on the 23rd... 9p eastern......just sayin'
also, since the first had audio issues, this one will be for free.....yeaaaaaa