Glenn Case - Lies

Set up live gigs with each other, announce gigs you're playing around the country or whatever, talk about how the show went, post links to recordings, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
GlennCase
Stevie
Posts: 1780
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:41 pm
Instruments: Bass
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Glenn Case - Lies

Post by GlennCase »

Nope. Not an April Fool's joke.

My newest album is called "Lies". It includes guest appearances from Mo Ouyang and Rachael Layne among other folks you might know!

Feel free to check it out!

Blog post with links.
Amazon link
Spotify link

ROCK!

Glenn Case
User avatar
Generic
Ozzy
Posts: 5518
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:45 am
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Hunky
Pronouns: He/Him
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Glenn Case - Lies

Post by Generic »

Are you finally on track to achieve that goal of recording 12 albums in one year?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Jon Eric - Get your feel on.
Website powered by Spud's Amazing Website Machine.

PLAY DISC! - A podcast of deep dives into full albums.
User avatar
fluffy
Grace
Posts: 10285
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they
Location: The Plaidlands (also, Seattle)
Contact:

Re: Glenn Case - Lies

Post by fluffy »

Where's the Bandcamp link? (Why wouldn't you put everything on Bandcamp?)
User avatar
ken
David
Posts: 3577
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:10 pm
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him
Location: oakland, ca
Contact:

Re: Glenn Case - Lies

Post by ken »

Glenn had a Kickstarter campaign to raise money to release his next dozen albums via CDbaby.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
User avatar
fluffy
Grace
Posts: 10285
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they
Location: The Plaidlands (also, Seattle)
Contact:

Re: Glenn Case - Lies

Post by fluffy »

That doesn't actually answer my question.

BandCamp is free to put stuff on, and gives artists a much better cut than CDBaby (and listeners a much better purchase experience, for that matter), and neither maintains an exclusive arrangement with the artist. I don't see why he couldn't do both.

Also, between BandCamp and DistroKid I don't see any reason why anyone should use CDBaby anymore - the only advantage you get from CDBaby is being listed on CDBaby's website and having the privilege of them charging you a lot of money for physical distribution (in which they generally only order 1-2 CDs at a time from you anyway unless you're ridiculously popular and top-selling). You can DIY physical distribution via BandCamp.

I mean once upon a time, CDBaby was a great darling indie company, but Derek Sivers sold it to Discmakers years ago and now they're just a bunch of nickel-and-diming scumbags as far as I can tell.
User avatar
ken
David
Posts: 3577
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:10 pm
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him
Location: oakland, ca
Contact:

Re: Glenn Case - Lies

Post by ken »

So are you unwilling to listen or purchase to Glenn's new album because it isn't on Bandcamp?
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
User avatar
fluffy
Grace
Posts: 10285
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they
Location: The Plaidlands (also, Seattle)
Contact:

Re: Glenn Case - Lies

Post by fluffy »

I would rather buy it on BandCamp, because then I can be sure that Glenn is seeing more of the money and that I'll get the better purchaser/listener experience. I'll buy it on Amazon if he refuses to put it on BandCamp for some reason.
Tyler Zahnke
bono
bono
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:34 pm
Instruments: keyboard and vocals
Recording Method: Audacity and the internal mic on my laptop
Submitting as: Tyler Zahnke
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Contact:

Re: Glenn Case - Lies

Post by Tyler Zahnke »

A lot of the songfighters have their albums scattered everywhere! Remember Jim of Seattle? His Bandcamp page only has his second album, but his first one is on Green Monkey, but not on Bandcamp. Scattered! Hate when that happens!
User avatar
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Posts: 8444
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 pm
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Contact:

Re: Glenn Case - Lies

Post by Caravan Ray »

fluffy wrote:That doesn't actually answer my question.

BandCamp is free to put stuff on, and gives artists a much better cut than CDBaby (and listeners a much better purchase experience, for that matter), and neither maintains an exclusive arrangement with the artist. I don't see why he couldn't do both.

Also, between BandCamp and DistroKid I don't see any reason why anyone should use CDBaby anymore - the only advantage you get from CDBaby is being listed on CDBaby's website and having the privilege of them charging you a lot of money for physical distribution (in which they generally only order 1-2 CDs at a time from you anyway unless you're ridiculously popular and top-selling). You can DIY physical distribution via BandCamp.

I mean once upon a time, CDBaby was a great darling indie company, but Derek Sivers sold it to Discmakers years ago and now they're just a bunch of nickel-and-diming scumbags as far as I can tell.
Yeah. I recently sold a download of my album on iTunes.

The purchaser paid AUD$16.99. CDBaby gave me AUD$6.69


But I guess a little bit is better than nothing. Does Bandcamp distribute stuff around to iTunes, Spotify etc - and collect money from Youtube like CDBaby does? I don't understand this stuff (hence - I am easy to rip-off I suppose)
HeuristicsInc
Ozzy
Posts: 5242
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:14 pm
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Location: Maryland USA
Contact:

Re: Glenn Case - Lies

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I'm listening to it at the moment on Spotify, and man I have heard that sound that starts the song "To Himself"... not coming up with where, though.
A loop? A synth preset?
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
User avatar
fluffy
Grace
Posts: 10285
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they
Location: The Plaidlands (also, Seattle)
Contact:

Re: Glenn Case - Lies

Post by fluffy »

Caravan Ray wrote:But I guess a little bit is better than nothing. Does Bandcamp distribute stuff around to iTunes, Spotify etc - and collect money from Youtube like CDBaby does? I don't understand this stuff (hence - I am easy to rip-off I suppose)
BandCamp only does direct sales. For iTunes, Spotify, etc. I use DistroKid, which costs $20/year and doesn't take any additional cut (unlike CDBaby which costs some huge amount for the initial distribution and then takes another percentage off the top). I don't think DistroKid does the YouTube royalty stuff but for that I use AdRev, which is (again) way better than CDBaby.
User avatar
ken
David
Posts: 3577
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:10 pm
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him
Location: oakland, ca
Contact:

Re: Glenn Case - Lies

Post by ken »

HeuristicsInc wrote:I'm listening to it at the moment on Spotify, and man I have heard that sound that starts the song "To Himself"... not coming up with where, though.
A loop? A synth preset?
-bill
You peaked my curiousity so I asked Glenn and he said, "Some random setting I used in Z3TA+ 2. I actually kept hitting the dice (random) setting until I found something I liked."

http://www.amazon.com/Cakewalk-Z3TAPLUS ... B00BPM1F56
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
User avatar
GlennCase
Stevie
Posts: 1780
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:41 pm
Instruments: Bass
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Re: Glenn Case - Lies

Post by GlennCase »

fluffy wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:But I guess a little bit is better than nothing. Does Bandcamp distribute stuff around to iTunes, Spotify etc - and collect money from Youtube like CDBaby does? I don't understand this stuff (hence - I am easy to rip-off I suppose)
BandCamp only does direct sales. For iTunes, Spotify, etc. I use DistroKid, which costs $20/year and doesn't take any additional cut (unlike CDBaby which costs some huge amount for the initial distribution and then takes another percentage off the top). I don't think DistroKid does the YouTube royalty stuff but for that I use AdRev, which is (again) way better than CDBaby.
I am not familiar with DistroKid, but I will check into it.

I also have no problem putting the albums on Bandcamp. Just hadn't done it. I will check into it this weekend.

I actually get a fairly reasonable cut of the money from CDBaby (Recently got around $4.30 out of the $4.73 price point.), but there was the initial upfront cost of album credits. I think I still have 6 or 7 album credits left
User avatar
GlennCase
Stevie
Posts: 1780
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:41 pm
Instruments: Bass
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Re: Glenn Case - Lies

Post by GlennCase »

And it is up on Bandcamp now!

https://glenncase.bandcamp.com/album/lies

(I also uploaded "This Album Has 12 Songs On It")
User avatar
Generic
Ozzy
Posts: 5518
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:45 am
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Hunky
Pronouns: He/Him
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Contact:

Re: Glenn Case - Lies

Post by Generic »

It's a huge hassle. I tried covering all the various distribution outlets with my latest album, and it took me like two weeks of monitoring services, uploading tracks, babysitting the uploads, etc.

But now Pop! is on Google Music, Spotify, Amazon, iTunes, Bandcamp, SoundCloud, and probably one or two other services I didn't think of. And it's on my website. It was a drag, but I can't afford a personal assistant or manager, so I guess that's just show business these days.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Jon Eric - Get your feel on.
Website powered by Spud's Amazing Website Machine.

PLAY DISC! - A podcast of deep dives into full albums.
HeuristicsInc
Ozzy
Posts: 5242
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:14 pm
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Location: Maryland USA
Contact:

Re: Glenn Case - Lies

Post by HeuristicsInc »

ken wrote:
HeuristicsInc wrote:I'm listening to it at the moment on Spotify, and man I have heard that sound that starts the song "To Himself"... not coming up with where, though.
A loop? A synth preset?
-bill
You peaked my curiousity so I asked Glenn and he said, "Some random setting I used in Z3TA+ 2. I actually kept hitting the dice (random) setting until I found something I liked."
the more i think about it, the more i think it was somebody in tapegerm back when i was in it, that made a similar loop and somebody used it in a song. it would explain why i can't really place it as anything specific.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Post Reply