Community Check-In and Feedback 2022

Let us know when something isn't working correctly, or if you find a typo. Do not post complaints or suggestions here.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Community Check-In and Feedback

Post by fluffy »

ujnhunter wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:22 am
Yeah, Discord links seem to expire within 7 days. https://discord.gg/VfzGPUpY <---good for 7 days... ;)
It's pretty easy to make one that doesn't ever expire and the one on the songfight.org front page was set up that way.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

fluffy wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:20 pm
ujnhunter wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:22 am
Yeah, Discord links seem to expire within 7 days. https://discord.gg/VfzGPUpY <---good for 7 days... ;)
It's pretty easy to make one that doesn't ever expire and the one on the songfight.org front page was set up that way.
Nice. Here's the one from the homepage then: https://discord.gg/3eQHCUG as my link was probably already expired. ;)
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

fluffy wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:18 pm
These days, bandwidth is cheap, it's being able to host apps that's expensive. The Jukebox is written in Java, right? I don't know of any free/cheap Java service hosting, unfortunately, aside from plopping it onto a Linode or DigitalOcean VPS that you happen to use for other things as well.

On that note I have a Linode that I use for hosting a bunch of stuff and I could set up an account for the SF Jukebox on it, as long as it's still using songfight.org itself as the hosting provider. I'd recommend migrating the database over to SQLite though, like there's no way the jukebox needs anything heavier than that and I don't want to deal with administering a "real" database.
It's written in Java, yes. Thanks for the offer and suggestions. I'm looking into the approach of using a db like SQLite (I had been using MySQL because it was running on my brother's servers anyway) and a minimal Linode.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

If you've abstracted your stuff using JDBC it should just be a matter of changing your database config and reimporting. There's also mysql -> sqlite converters out there if you don't have a schema bootstrapper or if there's data that's just in your mysql database that you don't want to lose.

But yeah setting up a linode is well worth it. $20/month for an incredibly beefy server with a lot of storage and bandwidth. I run like a dozen sites on mine and beesbuzz.biz is the only one which scratches the surface on my server's capacity, and it's not much of a scratch.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I'm planning to just start from scratch, data wise. I don't think I'll be able to get access to any of the data from the MySQL database I was using, unfortunately. I've probably lost all the data that wasn't ingested from the songfight.org files, like the vote data which I'd been saving to my own table, folks' playlists, and user contributed artist relationships.

I'm trying out H2 first instead of SQLite as I'm using the Spring Boot framework and it claimed to have really straightforward integration with H2 (and other Java based embedded databases like HSQLDB and Derby). I've mostly gotten that part working, like all the important basic stuff is working, ingesting the official archive data, browsing/searching the fights/artists/songs, and playing music. I'm having some issues with less important stuff like logging in, playlists, and admin tools that help me with updating songfighgt.org. I'll probably try to get a partially working version back up first though and worry about fixing other stuff later.

I appreciate the info about Linode, I had been mostly wasting time being unable to decide which hosting route to try, so, having a solid reference and vote of confidence in a specific host is very helpful. Thanks!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I think I've maybe gotten the Jukebox working again. It's working for me but I haven't done extensive testing from different devices/browsers/networks/etc. Please try it and let me know if it's working for you.

https://sfjukebox.org/
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Works for me on Firefox on macOS. Yay!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Also thanks to fluffy for some of the technical suggestions. I did wind up getting it working using an embedded database, which simplifies the hosting setup. And it's running on a Linode virtual server.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Working on Chrome on PC. Thanks!!

I did have one weird sorting issue which is not a big deal at all. I sorted the cover art by name and it sorts the lower case and the upper case separately one right after the other.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Ah, good find. I will see what I can do about that.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Easy way would be to case-fold into a sorting field, which would also be a good opportunity to remove "the" from the beginning to get proper title sorting.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Yep, I have that already for sorting artists by name. I never bothered to add it for sorting fights by cover artist names for some reason. I was just doing a "to lower" in the "order by" clause of the SQL. (And same for sorting fights by title.) It looks like in all the changes I made to update to the latest versions of the frameworks and libraries I use in the Jukebox code I missed making those two sorts case insensitive. Anyway, easy stuff to fix.