Archive Jukebox?

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Archive Jukebox?

Post by Ross »

I didn't see a thread for this anywhere.

This year I participated in both FAWM and RPM and had a great time. One thing going at each of those sites was some sort of java based jukebox - I don't know much about how these things work so I don't know how complex it would be or how much it would have to be maintained, but they appear to access the entire database, be able to randomize, and even be able to be filtered (particularly the one at FAWM).

I think a Songfight! jukebox could be pretty cool, too.

Thanks for listening.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Archive Jukebox?

Post by Lunkhead »

If this JavaScript/Flash code works in IE as well as it does in Firefox, it could be useful:

http://www.schillmania.com/projects/sou ... P-preview/

I haven't had a chance to test it in IE, though.

It basically adds iTunes/Winamp/Windows Media Player/etc. type functionality into a page using JavaScript and Flash (no Java or PHP etc. required). It's actually pretty simple to add into a page, too. This wouldn't provide a stream of random songs from the archive, although it could effectively replicate that if you just add it to a page that has the entire list of entries on it. That would take a while to load, though. (And you'd need some modifications that I've made to it to get it to work on a huge song list like that.)

I invite anyone who's interested in this topic to send me a PM, so I can show you some relevant stuff I've been working on.
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

The FAWM site is using the XSPF player, which I also used for the little page I put up for Thanks For The Frisbee. It's pretty super easy to implement.
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

So are we talking about some sort of Songfight Radio here?

'Cause if we are, the totally cool thing would be to figure out how to feed the song titles and artist names to some sort of speech synthesizer (maybe sp00n has some ideas) so that before and after each song plays, it would actually announce, "here is (that was) Shreds, by Brody" or whatever. Even if it horribly mispronounced some of the names, it would be nice if it gave me some sort of clue what I'm listening to.

I know, with 500+ songs and thousands of artist names, this would be a ton of work. But we could leverage the work put into it to also insert those announcements into the weekly "stream all" links, so that if somebody is listening to the fight via the stream link, they'd also know who they're listening to.

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Actually I was working with this Perl module that extracts or saves ID3 tags from MP3 files yesterday. My use of it was to write a program to check if ID3's existed, and set them automatically if they didn't, using the form BandName-SongName.mp3 -> artist "Band Name" and title "Song Name". If a database existed that translated SF mp3 tags like "pi" -> "Punctuation Island" that could be done here. The wrinkle is that artist names have no word separators in the SF format, so we wouldn't know how to split, for example, "lordofoats" into "lord of oats" or "lordo foats". The speech synth would have trouble with that part. Unless this program could also access the name database that is used to create the HTML listings. This is to fix mp3s without tags, or with faulty tags. Then it would be an easy feat for the program that's playing the mp3 to extract artist and title and pass to some sort of speech synth module, I bet something exists somewhere or other. Just musing, anyway.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

if i am remembering correctly, back when we used to have a songfight radio, (which just streamed random songs from the archive), while each song was playing, the title (perhaps it was just the filename?) would appear on the winamp playing window. i don't know whether this was a universal thing, for all mp3 players, because winamp is the only one i've used, but if that is the case, it would save a lot of trouble figuring out how to label the songs, i guess.

(sorry for being so un-helpful!)
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

I miss Songfight Radio. The initial version was fun. The second version had a lot of good stuff- J$ doing a radio show was brilliant. More songfighters should do weekly podcast type shows. I miss Glenn's "House of Delusions" and I have sucked about doing "The Other Night I've Dreamt of Knives" second season. I've got to fix that today.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Niveous wrote: J$ doing a radio show was brilliant.
Thanks, Niv. I enjoyed doing that show a lot, but I never had the time to do the follow-ups, which in retrospect was especially dumb because it's basically so easy. 20 mins scripting, one take of 10 minutes worth of talking, then hack it together in a stream with the songs you're talking about. Everyone should do a half an hour 'my favourite SF top 10' and post a link.

Sadly my own 'moment of camp glory' DJ Goodtime Jonnny (or whatever ridiculous name I came up with,) is lost to the mists of time and the implosion of the old kongbalong.com (where for the longest time Starfinger was so kindly hosting my kerappp!). I really should get round to digging out the scripts and recording the six I had planned, if only it can go to syndication :)

j$
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Eric Y. wrote:if i am remembering correctly, back when we used to have a songfight radio, (which just streamed random songs from the archive), while each song was playing, the title (perhaps it was just the filename?) would appear on the winamp playing window. i don't know whether this was a universal thing, for all mp3 players, because winamp is the only one i've used, but if that is the case, it would save a lot of trouble figuring out how to label the songs, i guess.

(sorry for being so un-helpful!)
What appears in the winamp window is dependent on the ID tags in the .mp3 files being set, which we know is not the case with a lot of songs. But more than that, that requires me to be sitting at the (device) watching... I'm thinking about having it on while I'm doing other stuff, and then if I hear a song I like, there will be an announcement right AFTER the song telling me who it was.
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

king_arthur wrote:So are we talking about some sort of Songfight Radio here?

'Cause if we are, the totally cool thing would be to figure out how to feed the song titles and artist names to some sort of speech synthesizer (maybe sp00n has some ideas) so that before and after each song plays, it would actually announce, "here is (that was) Shreds, by Brody" or whatever. Even if it horribly mispronounced some of the names, it would be nice if it gave me some sort of clue what I'm listening to.

I know, with 500+ songs and thousands of artist names, this would be a ton of work. But we could leverage the work put into it to also insert those announcements into the weekly "stream all" links, so that if somebody is listening to the fight via the stream link, they'd also know who they're listening to.

Charles (KA)
Years later... check this out!

http://www.masswerk.at/mespeak/?text=up ... &auto=true

Doesn't work on IE though I guess, and support on Safari/iOS may be somewhat limited.