Here's an idea....

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

roymond wrote:we can have two votes, one for the favorite (as it is currently), and one for the "best".
i'm confused. i always vote for my favourite song. my favourite song is always the one i think is the best.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

frankie big face wrote:okay, *hugs*. anyway, i just figure there are good songs flying by that i never get to hear and i also like the idea of ONE winner, which is what generated this idea. i also thought of including the top two songs (as someone else suggested), which would perhaps eliminate those songs that were not deserving of the top "prize." i don't know--i'm just talking.
Gah, I don't like the idea of one winner, personally. I like the idea that all the songs being judged against each other have the title in common. To compare winners of different title, to me, feels like having an Iron Chef competition where the Iron Chef had to use eel, but the challenger had to use cow brains. It's less fun that watching them use the same thing, and to see how they both make use of it.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

tonetripper wrote: What I think would be cooler is if perhaps the FM were to post on the main page from week to week the top winner's tunes for each of the titles.
Actually, that would work for me. In the song news, just have a link to the winner for that week.
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

even simpler for the FM's, make a link out of the Last Weeks Winners announcements. It would be redundant to post in the Song News when the announcements are right above, non?
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

roymond wrote:
TheHipCola wrote:-maybe we should have seperate polling web-booths, one for "registered" voters (SF members) and one for "friends and passers-by".
Yes! I would actually be interested in how I am heard by my peers.
This could be accomplished easily by adding a poll to the top of each review thread, with an option for each entry in the fight. I wouldn't mind voting twice.
thc wrote:even simpler for the FM's, make a link out of the Last Weeks Winners announcements. It would be redundant to post in the Song News when the announcements are right above, non?
Or a hotlinked "(winner)" beside each of last week's fight titles. Or a hotlinked "(stream all winners)" beside the "last week's fights" header.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

tviyh wrote:
roymond wrote:we can have two votes, one for the favorite (as it is currently), and one for the "best".
i'm confused. i always vote for my favourite song. my favourite song is always the one i think is the best.
In that case, you would be canceling yourself out. But really, I was being just a little bitty bit facetious.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Coming late to this thread, I would merely add that

i) i think it's probably wiser to just accept that there are going to be good songs that you miss. I vote every week for my favourite song, the one which 'works the best for me'. Quite often it is nowhere near the top 2. Doesn't mean I'm wrong, though. Just because a majority of people think one thing doesn't make it true.

ii) Conceptually one fight is perfect. But as a 'victim' of its own success, I can't see how Songfight could operate successsfully in that format any more. I get antsy with a 20 song fight. I fear I just wouldn't listen, certainly not with anywhere near the amount of the attention I like to, to a single garguantuan fight, which defeats the purpose.

iii) for me, the community is the primary thing. And getting to stumble across some songs I wouldn't have heard otherwise makes up for the ones that 'got away'.

j$
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i'm liking the four-song thing, actually. for voting/reviewing purposes, it tends to make the fights nice and "bite size", as it were. it's not often i have an extra two hours to go through a whole bunch of songs, but half an hour here and there i can accomplish, and it makes it easier to get through more of the songs (perhaps two or three fights) than it would if the same number of songs were compacted into one big one.

as far as the lack of an overall winner goes, what does one get by winning one big fight (out of fifty-two per year) that one doesn't get by winning a somewhat smaller fight (out of 104 or 156 or whatever)? of course this is coming from somebody who has never won and probably never will, but i still don't really see the big advantage of winning either way.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

TheHipCola wrote:even simpler for the FM's, make a link out of the Last Weeks Winners announcements. It would be redundant to post in the Song News when the announcements are right above, non?
Oui et non. There's already a link to the voting results for each fight. And yes, I could just click on every one of those and listen to the winner. But I am talking about something that's on the front page acknowledging (in not such cryptic language) the winners of the previous fights via a link to the song. Because people visiting the site for the first time shouldn't have to jump through a lot of hoops to find out who won last week.

Let's all agree that winning is meaningless. Okay, there--we did it. Now, it's still called SongFight and there are winners every week, so it seems to make sense that they be acknowledged whether they won by hook or by crook. Just so that A still leads to B. Otherwise, change the name of the site to SongPlace! or Songs! or SongTitle of the Week!, etc.

BTW, I do like what the fightmaster has done with the "Fightmaster's Picks." That's something. Now, will he continue to listen to every song each week....?
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

But winning ISN'T meaningless!!!

It does have meaning. It doesn't mean what we may WANT it to mean, but I can say, having been in on a few winning titles, that it made my week. I felt like "yeah, cool, they liked it". That's what it meant to me. It was a moment in the sun... and I totally dug it. I think, the most gratifiying thing would be for each person who makes a point of hanging out here, to legitimately pull off a victory. In a perfect world...

As far as all this other gobbledygook about changing things goes.. it's an interesting discussion. Seems to me that the powers that be tend to give all these ideas merit, so you might see it happen, you might not. Either way, the discussion is healthy...
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

frankie big face wrote:something that's on the front page acknowledging (in not such cryptic language) the winners of the previous fights via a link to the song.
so in other words...

Shut Up and Sit Down
The voters turn out in droves, most of them signing in for the Rilla Dope, but a good many for Deshead as well.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

they made their own bed. :)
Hi!
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

frankie big face wrote:BTW, I do like what the fightmaster has done with the "Fightmaster's Picks." That's something. Now, will he continue to listen to every song each week....?
hmmmm, I like the Fightmaster's Pick because it seems like a good entryway into the pool that is Songfight! for someone who might be visiting for the first time, or for someone who really doesn't want to wade through the entire week's catalogue, for whatever reason. I like how there are direct links to those songs for ease of listening.

But as it is right now, it's a little off-putting just because there's this list of songs with no explanation. I mean, <b>I</b> totally get what a fightmaster is, but someone who is visiting for the first time might not, and then there's these songs there. I think just a short one sentence blurb like "Here are some songs from last week's fights that are worth listening to" would frame the concept a bit better.

But to me, it seems that it's almost all moot that more people are getting a chance to listen to the songs if there's no way to prove that they are listening to (and enjoying) them. Basically, will increased frontpage-link exposure translate into more gabbery on the messageboards? That would make it worthwhile, in my opinion.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

Here is an idea I just came up with which sort relates to the whole "best of the best" idea:

Every week, someone starts one thread called "Favorite Song, 2/28/05 - 3/09/05" or somecrap like that. Maybe something catchier, dunno. The point of the thread would be to talk about your favorite 1 song from all the fights put together. Maybe 2 if you are just a complete weiner and can't decide, but the whole point would be to discuss as few songs as possible. I think it would serve as an antidote to the sickness that some people feel when faced with reviewing a whole slew of songs and might get more people talking, especially first time reviewers, or those who don't have enough time, or people with very specific tastes.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

15-16 puzzle wrote:
frankie big face wrote:BTW, I do like what the fightmaster has done with the "Fightmaster's Picks." That's something. Now, will he continue to listen to every song each week....?
hmmmm, I like the Fightmaster's Pick because it seems like a good entryway into the pool that is Songfight! for someone who might be visiting for the first time, or for someone who really doesn't want to wade through the entire week's catalogue, for whatever reason. I like how there are direct links to those songs for ease of listening.

But as it is right now, it's a little off-putting just because there's this list of songs with no explanation. I mean, <b>I</b> totally get what a fightmaster is, but someone who is visiting for the first time might not, and then there's these songs there. I think just a short one sentence blurb like "Here are some songs from last week's fights that are worth listening to" would frame the concept a bit better.

But to me, it seems that it's almost all moot that more people are getting a chance to listen to the songs if there's no way to prove that they are listening to (and enjoying) them. Basically, will increased frontpage-link exposure translate into more gabbery on the messageboards? That would make it worthwhile, in my opinion.
i agree that the idea is good and well intentioned. maybe some minor UI tweeking is all it needs, like a different (non CMYK) font color, or a different size font, or maybe moving the FM picks to the left sidebar somewhere.
Hi!
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

"presented by spud and jb"..... :lol:

love it!
Hi!
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Fightmasters made me blush....... boy I can't wait to go to Boston this year......... you cats are uber 8)