Submission tips

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
greggb
A New Player
Submitting as: Gregg Boethin

Submission tips

Post by greggb »

Not a complaint at all, as I really appreciate what you guys are doing here. But I submitted my first song for the SCEB contest and realized I made a lot of mistakes in the submission process. I did click and follow all of the directions I saw for the tips link on the main page, but the problem was that I didn't see anything under the "How Do I Enter" answer because the "tips" link takes me to the "What do I name my file" answer rather than the "How Do I Enter", because the #file_name anchor is used in the hyperlink, rather than the #how_to_enter. So all of the information for "How Do I Enter" appears above where I land on the page, and I don't see it.

A quick editing of the "tips" link to make the url include:
#how_to_enter

would take me to the place where I'd see all the info under "How Do I Enter".

I also didn't see any mention of tagging the MP3s in the instructions, though I admit this is something that shouldn't need reminding... but typically I upload my music to sites with players that stream my music and I don't need to worry about this (because they do it for me). So, it slipped my mind, but a few minutes after emailing my MP3 it dawned on me and I felt like an idiot, due largely to the fact that I was an idiot. But nonetheless there are other people out there like me. So, you might include a mention of this in the "How Do I Enter" section just to remind all of us spaced-out first-timers.

Anyhow, again, I think what you're doing is awesome, and I only mention these things in hopes that it can better help us help you, by submitting our songs the way you need us to.

Thanks,
Gregg
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Submission tips

Post by fluffy »

Don't worry too much about tagging your mp3s, really - most people don't bother and personally, I use a script that just downloads the fight and then rewrites all the tags to be consistent anyway. And people who download fights via a podcast subscription (using e.g. iTunes) typically get that automatically.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

For more general purpose tips (beyond file naming conventions), try the FAQ link at the bottom of the list on the left side of the page. If you care, you tag. I sometimes include important content in my tags, but poor fluffy never gets to see it.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

I always poke fun at fluffy in my tags.