Late Submissions

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
Jerkatorium
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, keyboards
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Matchy Matchy, Hanky Code, All the Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Late Submissions

Post by Jerkatorium »

I seem to remember that sometimes late submissions would be posted on the songfight.org front page in a format where they were labeled as Late Submissions, and people could listen to the songs but not vote for them. Does that still happen, or would it still happen, if someone submitted late for a fight and the lateness of the submission was entirely and admittedly the fault of the submitter?

If so, how would you feel about one or more bands abusing that feature? For example: My evil twin's* band Jerk Arboretum really likes the idea of having a deadline, and really likes the idea of getting feedback from other Songfighters, but doesn't like the competitive aspect of Song Fight. If Jerk Arboretum starts regularly submitting songs for fights, but always purposefully submits them two hours late, would you post them as non-participating late submissions?

* Come to think of it, if he's that non-competitive then maybe he's the good twin and I'm the evil twin.
"Yes, I am a Muppet with B.O.; this song speaks to me." - Manhattan Glutton
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Re: Late Submissions

Post by Lunkhead »

Oh boy. There you go poking the hornet's nest again! ;)

I can't give you the full history of late submissions. My understanding, which could be wrong, is that it was something Spud started to add support for relatively recently (within the last couple years?). I was never really given what I consider to be full instructions on how to deal with them. I do know that if I put certain song data into a certain file in a certain way, I can add a song to the current fight and have it show up as a late entry, not eligible for votes. I don't think that once the fight gets archived that anything about that late status of the song gets preserved. I could be wrong about that.

As far as how I personally feel about anybody "abusing" that feature, I don't like the idea of anybody deliberately "abusing" any "feature" (or bug or whatever) of Song Fight! If you want your song on the songfight.org ho,e page you have you put it into the fight. If you just want to write for the title and record before the deadline, you can post a link to your song in the review thread and ask for reviews. I don't know that I am really authorized to make an official decree to that effect though.

I do know that late entries cause additional manual error-prone work for me when I'm updating things, so, I'm not personally a fan of them from that perspective. :) Also I wasn't sure how decisions were being made about if/when to accept late entries. I have implemented my own personal strategy for dealing with it which I don't feel I should disclose here, frankly.

Probably it'd be best if Spud or JB were to weigh in with some more official feedback about it. But really I don't understand why somebody wouldn't either just enter the fight or post their song in the review thread. Song Fight! is not really here to cater to your every song writing/sharing/reviewing/etc. need. Maybe try posting to somesongs.org and encouraging people to review there...?
Jerkatorium
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, keyboards
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Matchy Matchy, Hanky Code, All the Robots

Post by Jerkatorium »

You are absolutely right, and the more I think about it, the stupider my initial post sounds. Song Fight is very specifically a competition website, and anyone trying to get around that is subverting the spirit of Song Fight. If Jerk Arboretum doesn't like competition, they can go post their songs on YouTube or Bandcamp or whatever.
"Yes, I am a Muppet with B.O.; this song speaks to me." - Manhattan Glutton
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

There is also a great, if underused, website called www.somesongs.org where people can post their songs.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Jerkatorium wrote:Song Fight is very specifically a competition website, and anyone trying to get around that is subverting the spirit of Song Fight. If Jerk Arboretum doesn't like competition, they can go post their songs on YouTube or Bandcamp or whatever.
There you go, though I suspect the potential for honest-- not fawning and not cruel and mostly not stupid --feedback is also something Jerk Arborectum is looking for. There is also a "hey listen to my new song" thread, but you won't really get reviews from that.

Feel free to create a "please critique my song" thread in Monkey Business and see if you get any traction. If that's what you're looking for.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy