Captain America: Civil War (spoilers)

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Captain America: Civil War (spoilers)

Post by Lunkhead »

We saw this last night. In hindsight I think I had pretty high expectations because of how solid "The Winter Solider" was and how good the reviews had been for "Civil War". It was OK but kind of a let down. I think there were a lot more loose ends and plot holes and contrivances that bugged me. Unfortunately one of those was pretty much the whole premise of the movie, the impetus for the "Accords". Also I think they've really turned Tony Stark into a majorly dysfunctional wreck ever since Avengers 1. He's basically been just messing everything up since then and it's getting repetitive. I had a hard time with how he at one point basically goes back on everything he'd been saying the whole movie and decides to take the law into his own hands and murder somebody who hurt him. Maybe it's not bad writing and maybe they're just really trying to show how hurt and broken he is, but I don't know where they're going to go from there with the character if that's what they intended. A couple of other bothersome issues were how Tony Stark somehow knew who Spider-Man was, the shoehorned feeling introduction of Spider-Man and incorporation of Ant-Man (although he delivers probably the best surprise of the whole movie), the total lack of explanation of Black Panther's powers, the awkward character development for Vision and Scarlet Witch, and the general flexibility of everyones' powers and vulnerability/invulnerability at the convenience of the writers' needs and whims. I guess it was interesting to see everybody fighting each other but it also felt like everybody got a chance to both show how powerful they are but also get shown up by somebody, so in the end it felt like it was all moot and nothing was really at stake.