Uncut Gems

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones
Pronouns: he/him

Uncut Gems

Post by AJOwens »

There are many ways to build suspense and tension. Unfortunately, this film relies on incessant noise and the occasional sporting event. In scene after scene, everyone is shouting all at once, and in many of these scenes, distressing music is thrown in for good measure.

The score is interesting, but to me the soundtrack felt heavily compressed, and prolonged compression brings fatigue. About an hour into the film, I considered walking out, as the movie didn't seem to be going anywhere that would justify the onslaught. But instead I stuffed wads of facial tissue in my ears and sat through the whole thing, hoping to be edified -- in vain, as it turned out.

Adam Sandler's performance is just OK. My guess is that the casting director wanted somebody who could play a loud, shallow, annoying person convincingly, and Sandler's name just kept coming up. I think he's getting credit because our expectations for him are so low.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Uncut Gems

Post by ken »

This movie was crazy intense. I was uncomfortable the whole time. The severity of my reaction is what makes me think this movie is so well done. It was on a ton of top movie lists of 2019, so I was pretty surprised when it didn't win a bunch of awards. Not that I pay much attention to it.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang