The Grudge

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.

What grade would you give "The Grudge"?

A+
No votes
A
No votes
A-
No votes
B+
33%
B
No votes
B-
33%
C+
No votes
C
33%
C-
No votes
D+
No votes
D
No votes
D-
No votes
F+
No votes
F
No votes
F-
No votes

Total votes: 3
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

The Grudge

Post by jb »

The critics have been bitching about how this movie jumps around in time. That didn't bother me at all. The story, as far as I'm concerned, made perfect sense even if it does rely on people not acting as normal people would.

The direction isn't so hot, as far as the actors are concerned. You can tell they (the English-speaking actors at least) didn't have a lot of guidance for their performances. I felt there was a marked difference between the quality of performance of the Japanese actors vs. the American actors.

But when it comes down to it, this movie was scary as hell, with about three humorous touches in just the right spots.

And it has my favorite actor ever, Bill Pullman, in it.

Therefore, B+ from me.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Okay, the time thing was cool and important to the storytelling, as it let us see things that are happening at the same time without cutting back and forth.

The story does make sense, but the people being all retarded put me off. There were no scenes where I didn't know that a scary thing was about to jump out, so that lessened the scariness for me. And then the scary things were also kind of funny looking.

I was very "meh" about this movie.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Ah, see, I thought the scary things were scary looking.

And the jumpy-outies all got me. The J-O's. I was primed and pumped for a J-O, and every time BAM! AAAH!! *jb cringes and squeals*
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

i'm going to see this in 1 hour. I am psyched! Cool website.

:evil:
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

The trailer looks great, and I want to see it, however is it a film for the cinema or would the dvd experience do?
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

Just got back. Definitely cinema if you can. I'm a sucker for big screen and loud surround sound, so my money is always on the theatre experience. Though, by yourself on a rainy afternoon would be good for the DVD experience....

And for my opinion, I thought it was great. Lots of scares and creeped out scenes. I'd have loved it to be more violent and nasty, but I guess that'd make it R rated and limit the box-office take. For PG-13, I was pretty impressed.