Shopgirl

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Shopgirl

Post by Lunkhead »

Erin and I watched this last night, and were pretty disappointed. We both usually like Jason Schwarzman, Claire Danes can be good, and Steve Martin can still occasionally not suck completely these days. When I heard about this, though, I thought it was kinda creepy that he was adapting his own story about an older guy and a younger girl then casting himself as the older guy, -and- directing it. I think consequently it degenerated into a Steve Martin wank-fest. He wasn't that great as Ray. The direction wasn't that great. In particular I thought all the dark "gritty" interior shots looked like crap. And for some reason he changed his own story pretty significantly, although it's been quite a few years since I read the novella so maybe I'm just not remembering it correctly. In the movie the characters seemed a lot more desparate, and less sympathetic, and the events seem more arbitrary. Also, what was with the 3-4 voiceovers of Steve Martin reading his own book in an overly weighty tone? I'm sorry Steve but your novella was not that amazing to begin with. Anyway, not even seeing Claire's bum could make this that enjoyable for me. C- (Novella: B)
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

I loved it. A+
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

I really liked it, except for the parts that I identified with a little too closely.

Steve Martin didn't direct, unless "Anand Tucker" is a pseudonym. But he did write, adapt, star, and produce. IMDB says he was originally considering Tom Hanks to star... thank you to the movie gods for not letting THAT happen... I'm not a big Steve Martin fan, but for this part, I think he really was the right person.

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

It does look like Steve Martin was not the director. Whoops!
Middlemarch
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: Northern New York-west of the Hudson and north of everything (except Canada-and those other places)

Post by Middlemarch »

Claire Danes shows her bum?!?! I wasn't going to rent it, but...
<i>"you kind of sound like Oscar the Grouch" -- Feldspar

"sounds like church camp stuff" -- Tricia </i>

<a href="http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/alb ... id=1503">G. Williker at Nowhere Radio</a>