Strangers With Candy

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Strangers With Candy

Post by Adam! »

I saw this tonight, having half-confused it for Little Miss Sunshine. I also half-remembered Ebert and Roeper's glowing reviews. Sadly, it was crap. Amy Sedaris's character was irritation distilled. 90% of the humor was unjustifiably juvenile for an R rated movie. Big name cameos like Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ian Holm, and... Sarah Jessica Parker (I guess) added nothing, although Mathew Broderick was surprisingly funny. The only thing saving this from a D is the always hilarious Stephen Colbert: every scene he's in is a hundred times better than the rest of the movie. In fact, whenever the movie is lampooning highschools, teachers, or teen-movie conventions it shines; unfortunately it seems much more interested in having the characters say things like "Fag-bag" and "I want your spermies". C-
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Re: Strangers With Candy

Post by fodroy »

Puce wrote:"I want your spermies". C-
I laughed when I read that.

Did you like the show?
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Obviously he never watched the show. This movie is fucking hilarious, just like the show. Wham bam thank you ma'am.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Having never seen the movie, but having watched the show, I'd like to mention that I heard that the movie deviated from the show on a lot of levels for no reason. I also heard that the movie recycled gags that the show used. I heard these things from disgruntled fans of the show who saw fit to warn me not to see the film. WeaselSlayer, are these allegations true?
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

NAY! Maybe a little.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

I really liked the show and still found the movie entertaining. I should mention that it took me a while to warm up to the show, but I eventually grew to love it.

Amy Sedaris herself says that movie lost a little of the spontaneity of the show. Apparently budgetary constraints reigned in the amount of improv that they could use. Evidently the show used liberal doses of the stuff, but what with the high cost of film, etc, etc... they had to stick to the script in the movie.