Once

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Once

Post by roymond »

A very romantic and beautiful movieabout an Irish songwriter (played by Glen Hansard of the Frames) and the Czech woman he doesn't get. But they make music together. Both lead roles are played by the musicians they portray, and they wrote the music. Well, it's not autobiographical at all, actually. Very cool music, though. Winner at Sundance and in Berlin.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

I was hoping someone would post this. It's been on my "to do" list for a week or so, unfortunately around #200 or so.

I thought it was very sweet. But the slow, slow pace and grueling likeability of the characters got a little ominous after a while. Like someone was going to get hit by a car, or robbed, or swindled, or something...

<spoiler>
(scroll down)

...but nothing like that happened.
</spoiler>

Oh, and my wife got kind of mad that they put "this film is fictional, any similarity of the characters to living persons is purely coincidental" in the credits. I mean, the nameless characters are played by the musicians who actually wrote and performed the songs. It's not a documentary, of course, but the similarity of the "characters" to those people is certainly not purely coincidental. Just because you said it in standard legal speak doesn't make it true.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

I got the soundtrack for it at the station, but haven't listened to it yet. guess I'll give it a try.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
roymond
Beat It
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Well, he was robbed. And she dragged a vacuum around like a pet. Which was cool. And the story itself is entirely fictitious. So I don't see any problem with the disclaimer. They were developing the story and collaborating with the story and music track before they decided to use the musicians themselves...supposedly. Anyway, I totally agree that the characters were pretty much overly likable. But doesn't that sell tickets?
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

roymond wrote:Well, he was robbed. And she dragged a vacuum around like a pet. Which was cool. And the story itself is entirely fictitious. So I don't see any problem with the disclaimer. They were developing the story and collaborating with the story and music track before they decided to use the musicians themselves...supposedly. Anyway, I totally agree that the characters were pretty much overly likable. But doesn't that sell tickets?
We did enjoy the film. And I still have two of those songs stuck in my head: the one in 5 was particularly cool. And a whole movie about songwriting is worth a hat tip.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
roymond
Beat It

Post by roymond »

Mostess wrote:And a whole movie about songwriting is worth a hat tip.
Exactly. And not that cheesy Hollywood one I saw on some flight home [gag]
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

I saw the guy and the girl in the movie perform today at the World Cafe Live. Pretty music, but I don't know if I could listen to a whole CD/movie full of it. I'll probably Netflix the movie when it comes out.
Songfighter since back in the day.
ddd
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by ddd »

The guy in it (Glen Hansard) is pretty much a hate/lol figure in the Irish indie 'scene'. He's in a band called The Frames who are fairly popular here and aren't awful, but the guy himself is extremely irritating. I didn't see the film, but everyone I know is kinda watching bemused as he becomes internationally successful (well, a bit!).

It's funny!
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

This is a great movie with beautiful songs. Anyone who says otherwise lacks a heart or a soul or maybe both. :P
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

As of yet, this thread has three reviews by three married guys...

hmmm, suspicious.

(I grabbed Superbad instead)
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Re: Once

Post by crumpart »

Why not revive a thread that’s 13 or so years old because I was just reminded of five of the best minutes in film history.

(It’s interesting to read some of those “meh” reviews above now. For the record, I cried like a little baby the first time I saw this film back at its original release, and also on every subsequent viewing, and then again at the stage production at The Olympia Theatre in Dublin. Also, that arcade that they walk through at the end of that clip is home to a really great secondhand record store.)
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

I was also a little underwhelmed by this one to be honest, but I did really like another of the director's films, Sing Street.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

vowlvom wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:39 am
I was also a little underwhelmed by this one to be honest, but I did really like another of the director's films, Sing Street.
Brown Shoes is a fucking killer song.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Also, I think Sing Street really benefits from multiple viewings. I thought it was alright, just kind of enjoyable enough the first time around. The second time I watched it it killed me dead.