Shaun of the Dead

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.

What grade would you give "Shaun of the Dead"?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:58 am

A+
50%
A
30%
A-
10%
B+
10%
B
No votes
B-
No votes
C+
No votes
C
No votes
C-
No votes
D+
No votes
D
No votes
D-
No votes
F+
No votes
F
No votes
F-
No votes

Total votes: 10
administrator
A New Player

Shaun of the Dead

Post by administrator »

I give it an <b>A</b>. Pretty f-in' great movie all around.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Sober »

I have had an intense urge to see this movie since I saw the preview like 4 months ago.
🤠
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Hey,at last a film we brits saw six months before you lot, rather than vice versa. Simon Pegg is a genius, and this is a gerat film. Not rotl but clever. Wry. And a film, I think, that actually benefits from its britishness.

Check out (if you get it over there) Spaced. Sitcom by the same people, only two series. Comedy gold, already.

j$
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

I'd never heard of this movie until minutes before I saw it, and it was very hilarious. For a long time now, I've been saying that there needs to be a well-done comedy that really exploits the silliness of old zombie movies--I guess someone finally heard my cry. A+.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

I haven't had a chance to go see it yet (think it just came out here this weekend maybe?) but the first time I saw an ad in the paper for it my first thought was "I have to go see their movie because that is the best title EVER." And was glad to come across great reviews since then.
Let cake eat them.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

I love Shaun of the Dead.

That's all that needs to be said. That, and everyone should go and see it, just because it's a zombie movie. Zombie movies are cool. And it has Queen in, and that's just a sign of class.
Songfighter since back in the day.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Addendum - I bought the DVD of SotD yesterday and amongst a plethora of pretty cool extras, there is an audio commentary by the Zombies. All the way through. Just reading it on the box made me laugh out loud in the shop, and the security guard gave me a death-stare and flexed his truncheon-hand ...

j$
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

user wrote:I'd never heard of this movie until minutes before I saw it, and it was very hilarious. For a long time now, I've been saying that there needs to be a well-done comedy that really exploits the silliness of old zombie movies--I guess someone finally heard my cry. A+.
It exploits both OLD and NEW zombie movies in comedy form :)

I've never been into English movie exports..but 28 days later and shaun of the dead have been awesome. (Monty Python movies are killer as well)

I really enjoyed this film on many levels. I really like how English movies (and that trigger happy television show) add inovative music to the soundtrack. I can get into that. (I hate trigger happy tv by the way)

This flick had just enough gore (I could have used a lot more) to make it a horror film... enough comedy to make it a comedy.

At first I thought I could do without the drama...but afterwards...I realized that the drama help glue the parody of it together. It needed to be there to make the silliness, well... silly. Also, it allowed the main charactor to build and progress. It essentially developed the main charactor while everything was happening around him.

IT STARTED KINDA SLOW... I was thinking...'oh great' what have I paid to see this time..sorta attitude...but right as I was thinking that..it picked right up and took me for a nice enjoyable ride. It was the perverbial cherry on my great weekend. (even though the bucs fell to 0-4)

Go see it. Now.
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Post by Kamakura »

Though I haven't seen Shaun of the Dead yet (soon to be remedied),
the best zombie/ black comedy I've ever seen is 'return of the living dead'. Not only is the film excellent, but the soundtrack as well.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

To date the best Zombie-Comedy has to be Peter Jackson's Dead Alive. This movie is gold.
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

I'm thinking I'm going to see Shaun of the Dead this weekend. I honestly wouldn't have even bothered if you guys hadn't all ranted and raved about it. Thank you Songfight!
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

the human cello wrote:I'm thinking I'm going to see Shaun of the Dead this weekend. I honestly wouldn't have even bothered if you guys hadn't all ranted and raved about it. Thank you Songfight!
You haven't seen it yet :)

I hope you like it. I would feel guilty if you felt you'd wasted yr cash / allowance / luncheon vouchers :!:

100 posts and am I still a blue baiter? No I'm a bad penny! Hooray (though I was hoping for either MC Post-a-Lot or 15-16 Puzzle's 'A New Player)

j$
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

*whoosh*
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

101, and you're a "bad penny."
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

15-16 puzzle wrote:*whoosh*
Ah yes, sorry I was trying to credit a source and clearly have mistaken someone else for you.

I was hoping that rather than 'A Bad Penny' (which is cute but imo should be saved for serious postiness), >100 posts would end up with the tag-line either being 'MC Post-a-lot' or in deference to the old board, 'A New Player'.

Is that the sound of an approaching 'whoosh' I hear?
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

I watched this last night on my compooter, and I really enjoyed it. I'm pleased at the influx of foreign-made films being brought to America, if only because American films, as of late, suck ass.

The film is pretty goofy, without a doubt. Even the serious parts felt a bit goofy. I like goofy.
🤠
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

The Sober Irishman wrote:The film is pretty goofy, without a doubt. Even the serious parts felt a bit goofy. I like goofy.
I know..it's like...just when you start to buy the serious parts..they get goofy again!