Wish List

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

prayformojo wrote:
Poor June wrote:
i have already covered one counting crows song 'colorblind' i wanna re-do it sometime...
I arranged that back in college but never recorded it. Perhaps nowish would be a good time to revisit it...
:::tears up::: but it is mine :::points to self::: haha j/k... that seems like it could be cool

i made my cover like a year ago... so that's why i'm thinkin' i should re-do it... thinks have gotten a bit better.... well everything sept my voice... my voice was much better back then... i just smoke way too much... i think i'm gonna quit...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GlennCase »

Poor June wrote:
GlennCase wrote:
Poor June wrote:or cover 'i'll have to say i love in a song'(
Funny enough, I recently taught myself a way to play that song, and it is one that I enjoy doing. But, I am not Hostess Mostess.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
oh God go for it!!!... i'd be happy enough hearin' you do it... you have much talent... \m/
This took me just over a half hour of time this evening from start to finish. It didn't hurt that I already knew how to play it.

http://glenncase.songhole.org/content/s ... ilyias.mp3

Enjoy!

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

wow. great job glenn! the tune fits your style well. i was harmonizing with you while i listened :)
Hi!
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

jack shite wrote:wow. great job glenn! the tune fits your style well. i was harmonizing with you while i listened :)
Thanks sir!

Always glad when there is an audience that likes what I do.

You would do decent with this one too. But I REALLY want to hear you cover Grandpaboy "Lush and Green"

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

GlennCase wrote:
jack shite wrote:wow. great job glenn! the tune fits your style well. i was harmonizing with you while i listened :)
Thanks sir!

Always glad when there is an audience that likes what I do.

You would do decent with this one too. But I REALLY want to hear you cover Grandpaboy "Lush and Green"

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
hey gleen, do you have an mp3 version from the EP you could IM me a link to? all i can find is a stream from some radio show he did. but i love the tune (always a big westerberg fan) and i'll definitely give it a shot.
Hi!
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

GlennCase wrote:
Poor June wrote:
GlennCase wrote: Funny enough, I recently taught myself a way to play that song, and it is one that I enjoy doing. But, I am not Hostess Mostess.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
oh God go for it!!!... i'd be happy enough hearin' you do it... you have much talent... \m/
This took me just over a half hour of time this evening from start to finish. It didn't hurt that I already knew how to play it.

http://glenncase.songhole.org/content/s ... ilyias.mp3

Enjoy!

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
that was so GREAT!!!... thank you soo sooo much

prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Melodica, Misc. Noisemakers, Etc.
Recording Method: 2 old bean cans and a piece of string
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

Poor June wrote:
prayformojo wrote:
Poor June wrote:
i have already covered one counting crows song 'colorblind' i wanna re-do it sometime...
I arranged that back in college but never recorded it. Perhaps nowish would be a good time to revisit it...
:::tears up::: but it is mine :::points to self::: haha j/k... that seems like it could be cool
Twenty bucks says you get yours done LONG before I do.
White people, is you funky?
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

prayformojo wrote:
Poor June wrote:
prayformojo wrote: I arranged that back in college but never recorded it. Perhaps nowish would be a good time to revisit it...

Twenty bucks says you get yours done LONG before I do.
i'm not much of a gambler... ok what am i talkin' about... of course i am... :::shakes hand::: i'm in \m/ haha

bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

Post by bortwein »

I had posted a few of these to Dumbrella a while back and they were almost all Pixies songs. If I remember those I'll repost.

But, in the mean time... here's a short list:

Year of the Rat - by Badly Drawn Boy = Frankie Big Face
1985 - by Bowling for Soup = Glenn Case
Eye - by Smashing Pumpkins = donkey t
Vertigo - by American Hi-Fi = The Cow Exchange
Radio Song - by R.E.M. = Explino! or Ken's Super...
Call and Answer – by Barenaked Ladies = Ken’s Super…
Lump - by The Presidents of the USA = Forty Second Songs
Another Postcard – by Barenaked Ladies = Forty Second Songs
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da - by The Police = Carol Cleveland Sings
So Says I – by The Shins = Carol Cleveland Sings
Middle Of The Road - by The Pretenders = Loyalty Day
DMV - by Primus = Puce
Keep It Down – by Smash Mouth = Future Boy
A Girl Like You – by The Smithereens = Eddiebangs
You've Got A Chance – Bad Religion = The Sober Irishman
Box Set – by Barenaked Ladies = Jim of Seattle
I Love You – by Barenaked Ladies Album: Gordon = Jim of Seattle (this is more Jim’s Style)
Egg Man – by Beastie Boys = Frontalittle Squad
I Just Wanna Get Along – by The Breeders = sonofsupercar
Mr. Floosack – by Mary’s Danish = sonofsupercar
Sheep Go To Heaven (or) Short Skirt Long Jacket – by Cake = The Showroom
Hoof – by Mary’s Danish = Henrietta and the Hostage
If You Love Somebody, Set Them on Fire – by The Dead Milkmen = Dr. Worm
Bitchin Camero – by The Dead Milkmen = Marcus Kellis
Dinosaur Act – by Matthew Sweet = prayformojo
b o r t w e i n...it rhymes with Design. / bortwein Music SongFight! Archive
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

bortwein wrote: 1985 - by Bowling for Soup = Glenn Case
Not familiar with this track yet, but I tend to like Bowling for soup songs that I have heard. I will likely check into this one.
bortwein wrote:Egg Man – by Beastie Boys = Frontalittle Squad
The thought of this track being covered by FAL makes me giggle on the outside and the inside. I am not sure if we would go word for word on it or switch it up, but it would probably be hilarious.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

GlennCase wrote:
bortwein wrote: 1985 - by Bowling for Soup = Glenn Case
Not familiar with this track yet, but I tend to like Bowling for soup songs that I have heard. I will likely check into this one.
It's their current single. Pretty hot song. I wanna get the album, but I've bought too much in teh last three weeks, and my brother wants to pay for this one, so I'm waiting on him. Bowling For Soup always reminds me of Too Much Joy.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

i'd be interested in seeing whether glenn case could improve the song because in its original form it's pretty uninspired and annoying. at least it really annoys me. but one funny thing, i heard it the other day with my ex-fiancee and she asked me who stacey is. i looked at her funny, and so she explained, who they are singing about in the song -- "stacey, madonna, etc." i got a chuckle out of it. so i was like, "springsteen." and she was like, "stacey springsteen?" argh.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

can anyone think of a cover that would be good for me to do? (got some free time)... figured it couldn't hurt to see what i can do...

all i have is a keyboard right now...

Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

bortwein wrote:I Love You – by Barenaked Ladies Album: Gordon = Jim of Seattle (this is more Jim’s Style)
You've got quite a few BNL suggestions in there, but that's the one that especially sticks out to me. I bet JoS would do a kick ass rendition of it.
bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

Post by bortwein »

the human cello wrote:
bortwein wrote:I Love You – by Barenaked Ladies Album: Gordon = Jim of Seattle (this is more Jim’s Style)
You've got quite a few BNL suggestions in there, but that's the one that especially sticks out to me. I bet JoS would do a kick ass rendition of it.
I do have a good number of BnL in there, and I had to hold back adding more. The reason might be, that I'm a big fan since their very start, or at least as close to their start as I know of... I have a copy of the Gordon album before they changed the cover art. Or at least I had my Aunt in Buffalo go over to Canada and buy it for me before it released in the US. I've seen them 2 times in concert so far, and I have also purchased all the mp3s of one of those concerts off of the iTunes store.... so yeah I'm a bit of a fan. not to mention my wife finds Ed cute.

Plus I just got (for an early christmas present) from my sister the CD Barenaked for the Holidays - the new Barenaked Ladies christmas album, just released this year.

Oooh, maybe I could find a good BnL song for Poor June to cover... I'll do that first thing tomorrow and post it.
b o r t w e i n...it rhymes with Design. / bortwein Music SongFight! Archive
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

hahaha... so we all get one bnl song to cover that'd be insane haha... but it sounds like it could be very interesting

Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

bortwein wrote:BnL Fight!
Dibs on Just a Toy. Jim of Seattle should do half of the entire Gordon album. Josh Woodward should be barred from entering.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

OK, I had to hear that BNL song. I listened to 30 seconds of it from the iTunes store and I can hear what you mean. It's always interesting to hear what other people think sound like your style. Yeah, that one would be fun to do, if that 30 seconds is any indication. Box Set, however, sounds like even more fun. Again, based on 30 seconds of it.

Shoot, maybe I ought to just buy that whole album.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

You should. Puce would probably realize "Just a Toy," and I'd love to hear that.

Why bar Josh from entering, though, when he could do a kickass rendition of "When I Fall?"

And Me? I'd be in, if such a fight went down, covering either "Hello City" or "The Old Apartment." Because I already know those two.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

I wrote a small list of BnL recommendations, but because I haven't listened to the band in forever I retracted all but the Jim and Josh's sarcastic suggestions. Yeah Josh should be in this fight, because A) He already knows (and has preformed) a couple of BnL songs, B) He'd do a fantastic cover, and C) Maybe that would divert his efforts away from one of the main fights, allowing one of us to have a chance.

I think of Josh as being in a different weight-class, so to speak, then most other songfighters, and in this particular fight he's got quite an advantage.
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

The idea of barring someone because they are good so you have a chance to win is lame. SongFight is far more about hearing good indie music than winning. Besides, it's a copout anyway. Make better music if you want a better chance to win.

Well, okay, get a mailing list, too.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

i'd love to hear jim of seattle cover 'sign on the window' by bob dylan. although i think he doesn't like dylan.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte