Wish List

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

I'd think I'd rather hear the Venga Boys do a Tom Waits cover than Rod. :)

'kay well I'll track it down and give it a go. Always up for giving something a go, even though i'm not big on showing emotions... however it may take me some time, as there is NO way I'm going into a record shop and buying a Rod Stewart LP. The Punk Wars were waged for a reason, you know! :)

j$
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Niveous wrote: Brainpipe “Let’s Go Crazy” by Prince
Innnnntriguing. Perhaps, perhaps ...
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

Niveous wrote:huge list of shit
niveous, why was I excluded? crap, you included bortwein and i've done a million more fights than he has.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

mkilly wrote:
Niveous wrote:huge list of shit
niveous, why was I excluded? crap, you included bortwein and i've done a million more fights than he has.
I said the list isn't done. I wasn't sure what song to give you. But don't feel bad, I left off a lot of people like Josh Woodward, Jack Shite, HInc (solo), and Future Boy. There will be an addendum.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Niveous wrote: Madi “Human Behaviour” by Bjork
I'd love to hear that too!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

j$ wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:
j$ wrote:
This is quite patently the most stupid idea I have heard for a very long time :)

j$
Actually, I wasn't being completely facetious here (maybe just a bit :wink: ). Brixton is close to being my favourite Clash song - it is so strong it could handle almost any treatment (as seen by the little girl/piano version on Sandinista!)

I was sort of picturing a menacing techno/industrial backing (maybe along the lines of Aphex Twin or something like that) with some distinctive unconventional vocals over the top - from my limited knowledge of everyones work here, the J$/DWG combo was the closest match I could think of.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

i'm thinking about doing a cover of 'make sure i'm out screwing up' by wesley willis.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case

Post by GlennCase »

Bolio wrote:
GlennCase wrote:
The Steely Dan Trifecta
How about a 'Quad-ra-fec-ta' ?? Please Mr Case, give me a song to cover because I'm the biggest Steely Dan Fan in the world :!:
Excellent!

OK... How about........

Bolio - Steely Dan's "Gaucho"

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAH! I SWEAR that I didn't read THIS post until AFTER selecting a song!
king_arthur wrote:If there's gonna be a DanFest, I'd love to hear somebody cover "Gaucho." Such a clever song...

Charles
THAT is just too great!

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case

Post by GlennCase »

Dear Niveous:

I LOVE some of the selections you chose for people on your list.

Some notes:

1. "God give me strength" is an incredible song in my opinion, as is most of that Bacharach/Costello album. This track is not assigned to me of course, but I just had to mention this.

2. Baby in the corner will probably not be able to record a song any time in the forseeable future, because Paul has had some personal issues come up, and I have not seen him for a LONG time now. It will probably be a long time before we see him again, and he was the guitarist for Baby in the Corner. HOWEVER, Chuck the Bear is basically just BITC without Paul, perhaps CTB could take a crack at the song (I don't know it)

3. The possibilities for "Clint Eastwood" by Gorillaz as a Def Author track fascinate me. Great selection. HATED the rest of that album at first, and then it grew on me and didn't leave my CD player for a long time.

4. Dreamy Mo doing Rebel Yell?!?! That also cracks me up. We would have to fit in something about Mo somehow... Oh wait... *laughs hysterically* Ok. You are brilliant... That took me a second. The chorus kind of covers this already. I can also see Hoblit doing the Steve Stevens style thrash guitar (Over a latin beat of course)

5. Fro Envy?!?!? Someone actually paid ATTENTION to that entry for Sincerety Machine?! That was a fun song to make, and I wouldn't mind working with Mr. Lang again on a song. Even if I have never heard it.

6. Thoughts of FAL Squad + Tribe Called Quest cover brings a smile to my face. Recruting Mo again would have to be part of this one, being that we have an instant message history relating to Tribe Called Quest quotes. (Long Story, but Mo knows what I mean)

7. Glenn and Rach track is one I have never heard, but I am never against the prospect of working with Rach. It just happens more rarely than it should.

8. Your NIN track for me is an astute choice also. I had a friend who was a DJ for an Easy Listening station here in town, he had this thing called "Freedom Night", I challenged this by requesting this very NIN song in my list never thinking he would play it.... He did.... on an Easy Listening station! CLASSIC radio, and I even taped it. His comments afterwards were funny too. I adore Trent's production abilities, and am a fan for sure. This just happens to be one of my fave NIN tracks too. (I think Dead Souls from the Crow Soundtrack is probably my #1 fave)

9. Rachael LOVES the Bif Naked CD she has, and will probably jump at the chance to cover one of her tunes.

10. Some of these other choices of yours are just absolutely brilliant! # covering System of a Down?!?! Jon Eric covering Filter?! Sober Irishman covering Andrew W.K.??!! King Arthur covering Jesus Jones?!? I just wish I had thought of some of these first!

NOTE TO ALL WHO HAVE PUT A SONG ON THIS WISH LIST FOR AN ARTIST I AM AFFILIATED WITH: I make no promises of course, and some of these are songs I have never heard of. However, I will attempt to cover the mass majority of requests that have been sent my way if not every last one of them over a period of time. I have thought that it would be nice to put them all together on a single page on my website, because that just seems like it would be cool.

While we are at it: There are many artists I missed the first time around with my list. But after these thoughtful requests, I can't leave out:

Niveous - Ween "What Deaner Was Talking About"

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

Niveous wrote:I said the list isn't done. I wasn't sure what song to give you. But don't feel bad, I left off a lot of people like Josh Woodward, Jack Shite, HInc (solo), and Future Boy. There will be an addendum.
oh, okay. sorry. didn't mean anything by it, just wondering.

(p.s.--I think the SP song is just titled "Eye." Also, good call on Octothorpe.)
Last edited by mkilly on Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

I want to hear a Songfighter-based cover of "The Sound of Music."

TRACK 1: THE SOUND OF MUSIC, performed by Octothorpe.
2. Maria, performed by 15-16 Puzzle.
3. I Have Confidence, performed by JBB.
4. Sixteen Going On Seventeen, performed by Frankie and Frankie's Wife.
5. My Favorite Things, performed by The Sober Irishman.
6. I don't really like Climb Ev'ry Mountain so nobody has to cover that. Or uh, Jim of Seattle and Madi. ;P
7. The Lonely Goatherd, performed by High Density or just Future Boy.
8. Do Re Mi, performed by ... uhn... I dunno... Josh Woodward.
9. I don't really care about Something Good either.
10. Edelweiss, performed by The White Hat.
11. So Long, Farewell, performed by Johnny Cashpoint.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Caravan Ray wrote:
j$ wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:
Yeah I love that. Far creepier than anything I could manage most likely. Actually I think a Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints version of GoB (Bill Heuristics and me) would be really cool. Add it to my frickin' list!

j$
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

mkilly wrote:I want to hear a Songfighter-based cover of "The Sound of Music."
11. So Long, Farewell, performed by Johnny Cashpoint.
Consider it on its way, old chap. But in return you have to cover 'Tomorrow Belongs to me' from Cabaret :)

J$
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio

SD

Post by Bolio »

GlennCase wrote:
Bolio wrote: The Steely Dan Trifecta
Bolio - Steely Dan's "Gaucho"
Sounds like fun. Or maybe a Gaucho album medley "Gaucho/Hey Nineteen/Time Out of Mind".... I'll come up with something.
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Hey Glenn,

I concur on the Bacharach/Costello. The album is absolutley brillant. CTB or DDD would be fine with me. I think you'd dig "Honky's Ladder". It's a funky tune with lots of sweet slide guitar. Here's a link to the Mars Volta tune:

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/univers ... vators.asx

That song was the first wish on my list. Lots of interestring vocal harmonies. I've never heard that Ween song. Can you send me a link?
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

j$ wrote: Actually I think a Dollar Bill & the Inkpoints version of GoB (Bill Heuristics and me) would be really cool. Add it to my frickin' list!
Heh, all these song covers!
I can do a techno/industrial backing.
I'd need to hear more than this 30-second sample.
Do I have time for all this??? :) :lol:
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
j$ wrote: Heh, all these song covers!
I can do a techno/industrial backing.
I'd need to hear more than this 30-second sample.
Do I have time for all this??? :) :lol:
-bill
One can always make time for the Mighty Clash. I'll get you an mp3 tonight.

j$
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

j$, i'm assuming you've heard the vandals' version of "so long farewell"? i think it would be hysterical to see what you could do to top that. (and i have no doubt you would.)

also: it's kind of coincidental that the past few posts have been discussing dollar bill &, because that's basically the reason i came here too. i decided i would like to hear you guys tackle "i'm afraid of americans" (originally by david bowie feat. trent reznor). i think johnny on vocals (if it wouldn't be too confusing singing about yourself!) plus bill's techno flavour could do wonderful things with this song.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

tviyh wrote:
GlennCase wrote:"Shreds" by Miss --- The Voice Inside your head
i will see what i can do.
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

tviyh wrote:j$, i'm assuming you've heard the vandals' version of "so long farewell"? i think it would be hysterical to see what you could do to top that. (and i have no doubt you would.)
I don't know it actually ... *shame*
also: i decided i would like to hear you guys tackle "i'm afraid of americans" (originally by david bowie feat. trent reznor). i think johnny on vocals (if it wouldn't be too confusing singing about yourself!) plus bill's techno flavour could do wonderful things with this song.
You know, I don't know this song either, but in a very strange coincidence I was in HMV today, and idly picked up a DVD at random which turned out to be David Bowie Live Retrospective, and the first title that caught my eye? You guessed it - 'I'm afraid of Americans'. I immediately thought - that's the sort of title I would like to have a go at, but would probably get the emphasis wrong and offend a load of people :)

(an addendum to this - one of the songs I was thinking of putting in my GoM was one by Gorky's Zygotic Monkey (sp) taht's been going round my head the last couple of days. The title eludes me, but its chorus has a choirboy style voice singing 'Kill all americans')

Weird.

j$
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

j$ wrote:But in return you have to cover 'Tomorrow Belongs to me' from Cabaret :)
Oi, I don't think I have good enough vocal chords to deliver it well. But I'll have a go at it, a capella, and upload it for you.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

i'd like to hear Puce do... jude's - 'king of yesterday'

or anyone willin' to tackle it...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>