Songs Against Fascism

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Songs Against Fascism

Post by Lunkhead »

Hey y'all,

I'm posting this on behalf of Jonathan Mann. He's got an idea to gather songwriters from every state in the USA to write songs to first the Senate then Congress

http://jonathanmann.tumblr.com/post/153 ... l-fascists
Dear Songwriters,

Donald Trump represents a true, existential threat to this country. Even after two years of covering him, the press seems ill equipped to stand up to him, to take him to task for the hatred, bigotry and corruption he exhibits.

For that reason, our best bet, our best hope (at this point, i think) is for congress to stand up to him. As he edges ever closer, cuts ever so slightly deeper into the territory of becoming an authoritarian dictator, it’s really the Congress (and the courts, hopefully) that can gum things up for him.

They probably won’t.

But here’s what I want to try:

A) Appeal to each and every congressperson directly with a song. 100 songs, 2 songs from 2 songwriters per state.

Songs for every senator. Asking them, begging them, cajoling and appealing to their humanity and duty to STAND UP TO TRUMP.
EVEN the evil senators. EVEN the awful ones. The ones that seem like they are for SURE pro Trump. Maybe especially them. That means those of you in Red States, it’s really all on you.

An individual awful senator (say, like Ted Cruz) is still infinitely better than President Trump, who could literally end America. We need Ted to grow a fucking backbone and stand up to him. We need all of them to do that.

B) If we can pull this off, we make all 100 songs, put them all online, make a big fuss (maybe part two of this project is finding folks in each state to make videos for each song?), I’m hoping we can generate a little national press, and get the message out that we’re not taking this lying down. We are going to fight. We need the press to step up their game (even though it looks like they’re already capitulating).

WE NEED MORE SONGWRITERS

Here is the spreadsheet as it stands. I want songwriters from every single state to write songs for the Senators. It’s starting to fill out but we need to find people for all these other states. Please spread the word and have folks who are interested email me here: jonathan at jonathanmann dot net
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... kaWgM/edit
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Re: Songs Against Fascism

Post by Lunkhead »

Unrepresented states so far at this time include:

Alabama
Arkanas
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Indiana
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Minnesota
Mississippi
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Utah
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming
District of Columbia
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

If you know other people who might be interested, please spread the word.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I'm really bad at writing political songs (this is the only one I've ever finished) and Washington State is already standing up to Trump but I should try to throw my hat in the ring anyway.