Sacred Cow Challenge

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Sacred Cow Challenge

Post by Niveous »

Hey folks,

Would anyone be interested in doing an on-going challenge where you are given a very familiar title and asked to make a song with that title?

An example would be Round 5 of this year's Nur Ein where the title was "Where The Streets Have No Name".

It was interesting to hear how the competitors negotiated working with the title without making mention of U2 and I think there are a lot of titles worth playing around with.

This is something I've long been fascinated with. Many moons ago, Glenn Case & I ran a similar challenge but only based around Prince albums. But we stopped when we started getting press and Prince started getting weird.

But song titles don't have copyright protection thus there are no sacred cows, all titles are fair game.

Would anyone be interested?
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Sacred Cow Challenge

Post by owl »

I would be interested!
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Niveous wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:28 am
This is something I've long been fascinated with. Many moons ago, Glenn Case & I ran a similar challenge but only based around Prince albums. But we stopped when we started getting press and Prince started getting weird.
I loved the Prince thing and the collaboration I did with BLT (okay, it was mostly BLT).

I'd be up for this being a recurring thing.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Personally, I was glad that I didn't have to write a song for "Where The Streets Have No Name" as 99 out of 100 people would either not listen to it because they don't want to hear a U2 cover song or they'd be disappointed that it wasn't a U2 cover song. It seems like a no win situation to me. While obviously song titles are not "sacred cows" like you say... I'm pretty sure I wouldn't write a song called "Wild Thing". Just my 2 cents.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

ujnhunter wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:52 am
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't write a song called "Wild Thing". Just my 2 cents.
Tone Loc would disagree.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Niveous wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:52 am
ujnhunter wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:52 am
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't write a song called "Wild Thing". Just my 2 cents.
Tone Loc would disagree.
See... that's my point though... you obviously knew of that Tone Loc song and it came to mind immediately... you didn't have to Google the song title, and even though Tone Loc obviously wrote a song called "Wild Thing" that many people could have assumed was a cover of that other "Wild Thing" song... the point is that you've just associated that song title with something already... and I'd have no interest in writing a song that is 99% associated with a song that "most" people already know that isn't a cover of said song. I don't want to discourage you from doing this idea... just thought I'd point out that some people may not want to participate in it... and why they may not want to. You've already got 2 people (more than the 1 of me...) and 3 if you include yourself... interested. Just letting you know that some people may be turned off by default.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.