Gift of Music - COVID-19 Special Edition!

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Gift of Music - COVID-19 Special Edition!

Post by jb »

Sorry I'm late, sent mine in just now.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

ujnhunter wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:59 pm
BoffoYux wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:41 pm
If someone is available to do Cybronica's Gift, it would be appreciated.
I'm on it.
SPOILER
SPOILER_SHOW
I had secretly hoped that I'd get Cybronica's list... which might be a spoiler to which song I'll be covering...
Yaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssss

Also, no worries, BYD! I totally understand, and if you haven’t been able to go home in 7 weeks, well, thank you for what you’re doing.
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica

Post by Cybronica »

Albatross wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:46 am
Cybronica - I am absolutely loving this arrangement, the vocals in particular. You stayed faithful and made it your own at the same time, like all great covers do. And I'm totally OK with shortening it to a more reasonable length. Well done, thank you!
Ahhhh im so glad! But I can’t take full credit; this got the full Mandibles treatment, with estaphonia on uke, truth on drums, and all of us doing vocals and adding to the vision of the arrangement. Truth actually had the excellent idea of having no guitar on there, since it is really popular for solo guitar covers; just as a fake out for all the other takes. And thanks for not begrudging us the timing shift- it was getting under the wire at the end, there! :)
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass, Guitar, Tin Whistle
Recording Method: Reason
Submitting as: Mike Lamb|The Nutwalls|Kasper|The Narcaloungers|Die Toten Schlaghosen|IRCUSM

Post by Mike Lamb »

jb wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:01 pm

JB
Thanks! Added JB for Micah Sommersmith - Hotel Song
"Admittedly, I did not know what to expect with Kasper, but they, I think, just rocked our collective socks off." - GlennCase
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Have now listened to all of these, and really enjoyed every one! Excellent work, everybody. Particularly impressed by Phlebia's awesome fuzz-drone take on Streets of Philadelphia, but it's a great set of covers, full of surprises.
Albatross
KING OF THE FORUMS
KING OF THE FORUMS
Instruments: Bass, drums, guitar, hand farts
Recording Method: Firewire 1814, Sonar X1
Submitting as: Albatross, Primitive Screwheads

Post by Albatross »

So am I, like, the only one left? Jeezus, I should just tattoo a giant L to my forehead.

This may end up being the worst recording I've ever made but it is getting done this week, dammit.
MicahSommer
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

Post by MicahSommer »

Mike Lamb wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:32 am
jb wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:01 pm

JB
Thanks! Added JB for Micah Sommersmith - Hotel Song
Oh man, I love the full-on vocal arrangement! Thanks JB, this is so much fun!
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

While the covers are fun and all - I am really enjoying Micah’s Spotify playlist. A great diverse collection of stuff I probably would not have otherwise heard before. Though what is it with the 20 TMBG songs?

Maybe we could go another round of this but this time “ people’s choice”. Anyone can play - just do a cover of your choice from the list of songs.
Last edited by Caravan Ray on Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet

Post by fluffy »

That's the Fingertips Suite, which was one of my choices. I wasn't expecting there to be a Spotify playlist when I selected that. :P

On the plus side, if they're being randomly inserted/shuffled, that is 100% in keeping with their intended purpose.
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Mike Lamb|The Nutwalls|Kasper|The Narcaloungers|Die Toten Schlaghosen|IRCUSM

Post by Mike Lamb »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:59 pm
While the covers are fun and all - I am really enjoying Micah’s Spotify playlist. A great diverse collection of stuff I probably would not have otherwise heard before. Though what is it with the 20 TMBG songs?

Maybe we could go another round of this but this time “ people’s choice”. Anyone can play - just do a cover of your choice from the list of songs.
I had actually intended to follow up with a "collab fight" challenge for the stiffees, but right now it looks like there are only two, one is (hopefully) submitting soon, and Ujn is working on the other. The premise was going to be that I'd randomly match up 2 volunteers who would then collab on the stiffee's choices. Since that doesn't appear to need to happen, I like this other idea a lot! There are a lot of great songs out there!
"Admittedly, I did not know what to expect with Kasper, but they, I think, just rocked our collective socks off." - GlennCase
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:59 pm

Would we have a process to weed out duplicates? Seems like the more popular songs would have been taken on disproportionately. I'm definitely down for another round of something like this -- I'd never really checked out the Duke. Turns out he's way cooler than I thought!
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Submitting as: Sockpuppet

Post by fluffy »

randomly assign people tracks from the Fingertips suite
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Mike Lamb »

If folks are interested in a Round 2 as Caravan Ray describes, I'm happy to curate it. I think I'd propose something like this:

- (PUBLIC OPTION) folks respond (in a new thread) with their song-of-choice to cover
- (SECRET OPTION) folks PM me directly with their song-of-choice to cover
- i'll tabulate them in the order posted/received
- duplicates will be "given" to the first claimant, and I'd offer the others a re-pick, but nobody's gonna be mad if dupes are submitted, right? :)

What do you think? Do people want a public or a "secret santa" kind of thing? Either way, it's likely that multiple songs will be chosen for a single fighter, and some fighters may have none of their songs picked, so as long as everyone's cool with that eventuality.. If it's public, some of that might even itself out, and the resulting "I'd love to see <x> cover <y>" might also be fun.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Should we maybe give first and second , maybe third choices?

Also, when does Nur Ein start?
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

ha loved the Paco Cult! Nice job d00d!
Hi!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Hey Jack, thanks. i imagine you might've blasted that tune while cruising in a Trans Am with your high school buddies in your Manch-Vegas days. ;)

Regarding second round, another idea might be like the sidefight that happened a dozen or so years ago where you requested who you wanted to do the covers. It was for other SF!ers then, can't remember what it was called. But know what I mean? You secretly picked, say, Fluffy to choose from your list, then cover one of your songs. Just a thought.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Why not just play the game exactly the same as we did it this time? I'd love to just do the same thing, reopen the submission period, let a new crop of people select their 4 songs, and shuffle it again. IMO the whole appeal of this challenge is that you don't know who's going to get your song and that you're assigned a choice of four songs that are still for the most part going to be pretty random to you. I'd say in that case, the only rule should be "don't submit a song that someone already covered".

Paco's "select who does the covers" idea sounds like it'd be fun, IF you're somebody well-known enough with a distinctive enough style that's usually received well among the rest of the site-- but seems like it would intrinsically shut-out a lot of newcomers and perennial contestants who usually score kind of low, either due to weirdness or unpopular genres. I don't know, it seems it would invite a cliqueish-ness that would make me not really want to play.

Caravan Ray's suggestion of "pick any one of the songs that was posted in the previous round" sounds a little better again, half the appeal of playing (for me) is knowing that someone else is going to pick your track. Otherwise it's just covering a kind of arbitrary list of songs. Which I mean if people want to do that, go for it! But...it's too unstructured I think. If we're going to go that route I think we should assign the three remaining players to somebody new, but keep the same "pick one of many submitted by one person". Otherwise it's not "Gift of Music". It's just "Music".

Neither of the "i'd like to see <x> play <y>" or "no guarantee that your song will be covered" sound much fun to me, mostly because I'm thinking of it from a newcomers point of view. If we're having more sidefights in order to make SongFight a place for creative types to pop in and kill time and have some fun, I'd like them to be as inclusive as possible. Also, I really dug being exposed to some new acts through this. I nearly went with covering Throwing Muses instead, and I've been digging on their other songs cause Geech posted them.

Alternately, Fluffy's idea made me thing "Fingertips" -> "Fingerprints" -> "Fingerprince" -> The Residents cover fight, which is a completely different game of a completely different nature that I'd be hella down for, even if another round of Gift of Music comes around.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

I think doing another totally new GoM with people re-submitting lists of 4 songs and doing it exactly the same way would be the best... that way new people that want to enter can get in... the people that previously submitted that don't have time or don't want to do it again, don't have to enter... and everyone gets a song picked from their "new" lists... you can still call it C-19 Round 2 or whatever... and you can still submit the same songs (minus the one that was covered already) or totally new songs... your choice. The idea of keeping the music flowing is good... I just think injecting new songs/players is best.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Jerkatorium
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, keyboards
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Matchy Matchy, Hanky Code, All the Robots

Post by Jerkatorium »

This GoM was great, and I love these covers, and I love being introduced to bands and songs I'd never heard of (Courtney Barnett, Drab Majesty, Better Oblivion Community Center, etc etc etc)... but why don't we do an Original Flava instead and cover other SongFighters? I like the idea of giving a random SongFighter a different take on their own song, and I like the idea of hearing another SongFighter's version of one of my songs.
"Yes, I am a Muppet with B.O.; this song speaks to me." - Manhattan Glutton
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Mike Lamb »

An Original Flava coverfight could certainly be fun. Taking the Sleepy Door's comments to heart, I'd want whatever we do to be as inclusive as possible, and the OF does kinda limit newcomers since they may not have many (or any!) songs to be covered. Let's give the Nur Ein thread a day or two to see what's going on there, as a Nur Ein would likely remove quite a few participants from a GoM or OF coverfight. These could all of course be run in parallel (and I'm happy to manage/curate them all,) but it was kinda sounding like NE could kick off any day now.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

I agree with @sleepysilverdoor and @ujnhunter (although there are a lot of songs from the previous picks that I would love to cover!) Seems good to have that randomness in there and to open it up to new participants.

I have really enjoyed hearing everyone’s covers so far! I’ll try to write some notes about specific things I liked about them later if I have time. Somehow the past few weeks have gone by really quickly while also feeling like they have lasted a hundred years.
Jocko Homomorphism
A New Player
Submitting as: Jocko Homomorphism
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Jocko Homomorphism »

I definitely want to do a Round 2. I'd like to pick another four songs, whether those are Original Flava or not.