Gift of Music - COVID-19 Special Edition!

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Gift of Music - COVID-19 Special Edition!

Post by owl »

Albatross wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:29 am
Mike Lamb wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:03 am
Thanks! Albatross for Owl - Shark
And thanks to you for conceiving and running this project. (BTW, the song is called "Shark Smile")
Ooh I love it!!! Thank you! It sounds dark and moody in a way that’s right up my alley, and I especially love what you did with the piano.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Mike Lamb wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:40 am
Great turnout, and great tracks! I received word that at least one more track should be making it in hopefully today. I'll officially announce the "stiffees" tomorrow along with a followup challenge to get them their tracks. :-) If you do still intend to submit a track in the very near future, please let me know. If you did submit a track and you're not on the list below, please PM me ASAP so I can get your track added. I did have a couple messages end up in spam, but hopefully I got them all.

Hope everyone had a good time with this!

Albatross for Owl - Shark Smile
Caravan Ray for Sleepysilverdoor - 39 By Design
Cavedwellers for Jocko Homomorphism - Some Kind of Nature
Crumpart for Chumpy - Motor Scooter
Cybronica for Albatross - Zombie Eaters
Geech for Fluffy - Rift
JB for Micah Sommersmith - Hotel Song
Jerkatorium for Boffo Yux Dudes - Heaven on the 7th Floor
Johnny Cashpoint for Ujnhunter - Panik Panik
Jocko Homomorphism for Mike Lamb - The Noah Plan
Micah Sommersmith for Crumpart - Die
Mike Lamb for Johnny Cashpoint - Orange Juice
Neutronflow for Glennny - Dylan Thomas
Owl for Neutronflow - Strange Walking Man
Paco del Stinko for Vowlvom - Don't Fear the Reaper
Phlebia (Sleepysilverdoor) for Geech - Streets of Philadelphia
Sockpuppet for Caravan Ray - Avant Gardener
Ujn Hunter for Paco del Stinko - The Joke
Vom Vorton (Vowlvom) for JB - Malibu

Bonus track! Glennny was very kind to also submit a cover for latecomer Toothdreams:

Glennny for Toothdreams - Idiotique

If anyone wants to grab the raw tracks, you can just pull them all from here.
Can we link my bonus track in the master list as well? (Just realized both bonus tracks are Radiohead, what are the odds?)
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Yeah, Albatross, I'm not familiar with the original... but I added your cover to my collection. Sounds good to me!

Edit: Mike Lamb will be posting Cybronica's track any minute now...

Edit 2: Maybe he went to bed... make sure Chumpy checks IRC then before your Two Jerks Podcast! I'd hate to miss out on hearing y'all talk about our track. Sorry Cybronica for keeping you waiting... It's done, I promise!

Edit 3: Here it is... with special guest Mike Lamb on guitar!

Last edited by ujnhunter on Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

So, here's another bonus track, for:
crumpart wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:15 pm
Crowded House, Better Be Home Soon
I wanted to do some experimenting with microphones and software, so needed a nice simple song to play - and there just happened to be just the thing requested, so....

https://soundcloud.com/caravanray/better-be-home-soon
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

fluffy wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:13 pm

Oh, that's funny, the whole time I was listening to her stuff and watching the video I couldn't help but notice an uncanny similarity to Pepper Jane.
It is a bit uncanny - I sent your version of the CB song to PJ - I'm sure she won't mind me sharing her response when I said you noticed an uncanny similarity:

I have met Darren Hanlon a few times, who use to share a pad with Courtney or at least be close friends, he says the mannerisms are a bit doppelganger-esque also!

And weirdly - I have met Darron Hanlon too, after a gig, he was a very nice bloke. We chatted about Songfight - because old Songfighter Andre Was Here at Midnight was a fan of his, he saw him in Florida, and he messaged me about this cool Australian bloke, I told Darren about how my friend messaged me to tell me he just saw a cool Australian - had I heard of him (I had), and Darren remembered the gig, and thought Songfight was a cool idea - but it is possible that he was only talking to me because he fancied the lady i was dancing with - but whatever - he was a really nice guy.

And if you like Courtney Barnett Fluffy, you may like Darren Hanlon too - so have a look

crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:06 am
crumpart wrote:
I wanted to do some experimenting with microphones and software, so needed a nice simple song to play - and there just happened to be just the thing requested, so....

Thanks for making me cry arsehole.

We were supposed to see Crowded House in Cork in June. Christmas gift from my parents. They haven’t officially cancelled Ireland yet, but have postponed the rest of their UK/European tour until 2021. It’s understandable, obviously, and a small loss in the scheme of things, but fucken fuck. This song, along with Tim Minchin’s ‘White wine in the sun’ was the one that made me most homesick right after moving overseas.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

crumpart wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:26 am
Caravan Ray wrote:
crumpart wrote:

We were supposed to see Crowded House in Cork in June. Christmas gift from my parents. They haven’t officially cancelled Ireland yet, but have postponed the rest of their UK/European tour until 2021. It’s understandable, obviously, and a small loss in the scheme of things, but fucken fuck. This song, along with Tim Minchin’s ‘White wine in the sun’ was the one that made me most homesick right after moving overseas.
And now you have made me cry.

Mainly by your mention of Tim Minchin. There was a dick on telly this morning accusing him of picking on George fucking Pell.

So next one of these - I will be choosing the Tim Minchin classic:

Pope song
https://youtu.be/vjJ_b8isMzc

crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:46 am
crumpart wrote:
Caravan Ray wrote:

Mainly by your mention of Tim Minchin. There was a dick on telly this morning accusing him of picking on George fucking Pell.

Pope song

I’m from Ballarat. George Pell can die in a fucking fire and I’d dance on his grave.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Anyway, yay songs! I like songs! Songs are great!

I’m excited for the podcast but also nervous, as I’m the one responsible for the Jerks’ cover.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

crumpart wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:58 am
Caravan Ray wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:46 am
crumpart wrote:

Pope song

I’m from Ballarat. George Pell can die in a fucking fire and I’d dance on his grave.
I had 12 years of catholic schooling and have had 2 close friends commit suicide. If your dance card is free - may I join you?
thirdcatmusic
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Submitting as: Third Cat
Pronouns: they/them

Post by thirdcatmusic »

Dodging Invisible Rays by GBV - this one was on Chumpy's list:

crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

thirdcatmusic wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:33 am
Dodging Invisible Rays by GBV - this one was on Chumpy's list:

I was originally going to do this one, but decided Tobin Sprout GBV was too much in my wheelhouse, so I kept it as a backup if I couldn’t sing fast enough for Motor Scooter.
Cybronica
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: sm7b, Scarlett 8i6, Logic Pro
Submitting as: Mandibles, Cybronica
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Cybronica »

ujnhunter wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:12 pm
Yeah, Albatross, I'm not familiar with the original... but I added your cover to my collection. Sounds good to me!

Edit: Mike Lamb will be posting Cybronica's track any minute now...

Edit 2: Maybe he went to bed... make sure Chumpy checks IRC then before your Two Jerks Podcast! I'd hate to miss out on hearing y'all talk about our track. Sorry Cybronica for keeping you waiting... It's done, I promise!

Edit 3: Here it is... with special guest Mike Lamb on guitar!

Worth the wait!!! This is my favorite bowie song, and I love your performance. Thank you for brightening my Sunday!! <3

And YAY PODCAST! I can’t wait to listen!
“It's like opera for toddlers or something.” -furrypedro
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass, Guitar, Tin Whistle
Recording Method: Reason
Submitting as: Mike Lamb|The Nutwalls|Kasper|The Narcaloungers|Die Toten Schlaghosen|IRCUSM
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Mike Lamb »

"Admittedly, I did not know what to expect with Kasper, but they, I think, just rocked our collective socks off." - GlennCase
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass, Guitar, Tin Whistle
Recording Method: Reason
Submitting as: Mike Lamb|The Nutwalls|Kasper|The Narcaloungers|Die Toten Schlaghosen|IRCUSM

Post by Mike Lamb »

owl wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:31 pm
Can we link my bonus track in the master list as well? (Just realized both bonus tracks are Radiohead, what are the odds?)
I moved the track links to the front page so I didn't have to edit in multiple places:

Gift of Music - COVID-19 Special Edition Tracks
"Admittedly, I did not know what to expect with Kasper, but they, I think, just rocked our collective socks off." - GlennCase
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

Howdy,

As promised, here is our GOM podcast!

Here's the deal: INDEX: Enjoy!
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Chumpy wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:41 pm
Enjoy!
Thanks for the commentary! I had a lot of fun doing this. I used to play lounge piano a lot and it was fun to get back into doing that more lately, especially since it hurts my wrists less than playing guitar.

FWIW the flute sound is an actual woodwind, specifically a recorder that I overblew. :) I felt like it was the best way to add the noodly guitar feedback texture from the original song. All of the other instruments are softsynths, of course.

This is also the first time in a long time (other than live fights of course) that I haven't done any vocal processing. Feels good. Oh wait no I didn't do anything on Freak Flag either. I like getting more confident in my voice, all the same.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Chumpy wrote:
[*]01:02:21 - Micah Sommersmith
I loved the extra bonus of hearing why you chose the song you did, @Micah.

My choices weren't specifically Covid-19 related, but in retrospect it definitely came through. My main theme was All Australian Songs, as Micah had already listed a bunch of the female artists that I'd intended to choose!

For context, @Toshiro and I are immigrants living in Ireland*, and in late February, right before the virus went into overdrive here, we flew "home" to Australia for a four week holiday. I went back briefly last year because my mum was sick, but it was our first proper trip to Australia since leaving. By the end of the trip, we weren't even certain if we'd be able to get home at all, and were formulating backup plans for living temporarily with friends. So, dealing with homesickness for home in Ireland and homesickness for home in Australia, while the prospect of getting sick on the 30 hours on planes/in airports was looming.

*The "fake Irish fiddle reel" turned out to be a super appropriate choice. :)
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Chumpy wrote:

[*]00:24:24 - Crumpart
[/list]

Enjoy!
Also, oh god, I'm so glad you liked my cover!

Sorry you had to hear that terrible first file.

The keyboard I used is not, in fact, a 3 foot Casio, but one a third of the size! One of my primary objectives when I was in Australia was to ransack my parents house to find my childhood Casio Tonebank SA-1, which was a much loved Christmas gift in about 1989. It's 37cm long and you can play a whopping two notes at the same time on it. I found it inside the box of a music theory monopoly style game, which was thankfully so boring that none of my ten million nieces and nephews had thought to open it up. Visually it was looking pristine, but some batteries had been left inside it for about twenty years, and the points on the circuit board were really mucky. I cleaned it all up, got it working and stole it (as much as you can steal something that was yours to begin with). The "fanfare", "bagpipes", "computer" and drum loops were all recorded from this. I had to slow the original main tempo down a touch to match what the Casio could do, and still got tripped up on a lot of those lyric lines despite that. Lots of rerecording was involved.

Here's someone else's video so you can see the glory that is the Casio Tonebank SA-1 in action.

neutronflow
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass, kazooka
Recording Method: Audacity, UMC404HD
Submitting as: Tim Hinkle

Post by neutronflow »

Chumpy wrote:
[*]01:17:23 - Tim Hinkle
It is just me singing all the vocal parts on my track.

The other song I'm using as a counterpoint melody is "The State I Am In" by Belle and Sebastian.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Chumpy wrote:
[*]01:55:46 - Vom Vorton
[/list]
Hooray for podcast! Just listened to my segment at the moment but I'll return for the whole thing when I'm working from home next week and need a distraction.

In answer to the questions raised - I picked this song from the given options because, erm, I didn't like the other three (sorry JB). I do like Owl's bonus take on Black Star though so perhaps I've been unfair on that song in the past (I can't stand Thom Yorke's voice which makes most Radiohead stuff hard for me). I'm not a huge Hole fan but I do quite like Malibu, and I had fun pulling it apart / switching out synths. Sadly the virus got in the way of my plans to shot-for-shot remake the video, I would have loved to walk into the ocean (almost) nude for everyone's enjoyment.

Sorry that you don't like the clicky hihats Micah! I love that sound, it's something I enjoy every time I hear it. Especially if the hihat rhythm speeds up and slows down which I think is a trap thing? But I will make a note to avoid it if I'm ever submitting to a contest that you may be judging ;)

Thanks for the kind words on the Vowl album! Looking forward to hearing the rest of the podcast!
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Loved listening to this! For one, the compliments absolutely made my day -- but more importantly it was cool getting to hear comments about all of the other tunes and seeing how they lined up with my own ideas about the fight!

Personally, I'd say my favorite official entries were Panik Panik and Avant Gardener for totally different reasons, but that Black Star cover I actually like better than the original. Of course it could be cause I burnt myself out on Kid A and never quite understood the appeal of the Bends (despite covering "Street Spirit" at my 8th grade talent show), hearing it more stripped back and less Brit-rocky made the song better. Malibu grabbed my attention too cause I love Hole.

I said I may write out my own comments on the tracks at some point, maybe I'll find time for that, maybe I won't. Regardless, I hope to hear what (some of) you do with the Original Flava, and I really hope we can do another round of this!
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.