Circle of Titles - The Return

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Re: Circle of Titles - The Return

Post by fluffy »

Well if folks are going to enter late I guess I can keep working on my song a bit tomorrow. Not that I expect it to get any better, but whatever.
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass, Guitar, Tin Whistle
Recording Method: Reason
Submitting as: Mike Lamb|The Nutwalls|Kasper|The Narcaloungers|Die Toten Schlaghosen|IRCUSM
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Mike Lamb »

I'm running late too, I'm aiming for Sunday the 2nd, hopefully sooner if I can get the time away from work. I got great titles, just having a hard time getting the music to gel into my (overly ambitious) vision..
"Admittedly, I did not know what to expect with Kasper, but they, I think, just rocked our collective socks off." - GlennCase
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I hope to have a quick-and-simple web interface for all this soon, and Jan Krueger has offered to host the songs on the site where he put the previous years' Circle of Titles when he gets back from his travels... but in the meantime I'm just going to post the list here and use hyperlinks to my Google Drive account. Here we go:

1.) Sockpuppet - "Wait Right Here"
Title provided by Pigfarmer Jr.; their unused title was "Don't Mention It"

2.) Pigfarmer Jr. - "Far Removied" and "Bunnyhopping"
Titles provided by Jan Krueger

3.) Jan Krueger is expected to record a song with one of the following titles: "It's Only Suffering" or "Dorothy"
Titles provided by Niveous

4.) Niveous - "Tracing Circles"
Title provided by Gizo; their unused title was "Take Me Anywhere"

5.) Gizo - "The Wizard Hats of Night"
Title provided by Crumpart; their unused title was "The Fugitive Opera Rose"

6.) Hot Pink Halo is expected to record a song with one of the following titles: "Frozen Fortress" or "Under Your Breath"
Titles provided by Vom Vorton

7.) Vom Vorton - "You Can't Go Forward from Where You are Right Now"
Title provided by Johnny Cashpoint; their unused title was "Margaritas and Dirty Words"

8.) Johnny Cashpoint - "Gamble for Old Times"
Title provided by Irwin; their unused title was "Best Day of the Good Life"

9.) Irwin is expected to record a song with one of the following titles: "Oakville Rain" or "In a Little Room"
Titles provided by Owl

10.) Owl is expected to record a song with one of the following titles: "Ice Time" or "Take a Ride in My Boat"
Titles provided by Lichen Throat

11.) Lichen Throat - "Zodiac Weeping"
Title provided by Reve and Ujn; their unused title was "Violent Deeds"

12.) Reve and Ujn are expected to record a song with one of the following titles: "D. B. Cooper's Blues" or "Last Breath"
Titles provided by Jon Eric

13.) Jon Eric - "Fisheye"
Title provided by Mike Lamb; their unused title was "The Chips and Cheese Debacle"

14.) Mike Lamb is expected to record a song with one of the following titles: "Horns of Dilemma" or "The Sounds of Night"
Titles provided by WreckdomElle

15.) Brown Word and the Big Whine - "Lijagulep"
Title provided by Micah Sommersmith; their unused title was "Figure and Ground"

16.) Micah Sommersmith - "Long Term Strategy"
Title provided by fluffy; their unused title was "Exhaustion"
Last edited by JonPorobil on Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Thanks Gizzy!

For everyone else listening, I would like to point out that @gizo’s song is a TRUE STORY BRO.

I stole one of my titles from an etching I made once for a print exchange / group show, which I stole back then from one of my favourite books about space. I spent weeks getting the plate to work and printing it, because I needed to have an edition of 49. All that time staring at it and I didn’t notice the glaring technical error until I photographed it at the show opening and looked at the photo on my camera. At least it had wizards in the title so I could claim “magic!” I photograph all my artwork and look at it on my phone before I show it now.

1D07F675-191B-4E78-978D-EFB0541981B4.jpeg
1D07F675-191B-4E78-978D-EFB0541981B4.jpeg (115.03 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

It really is a true story - I told crump that I wasn't going to write a song for Circle because my titles were awful. Then I told her the awful titles, and she reminded me of her artwork WHICH I KNEW ABOUT ALREADY.

I am a bad friend.

And so, once I realised what a faux pas I had made, I realised I had no other choice than to lean heavily on another friend's work, and use "Another Faux Pas in the Cathedral of Love" as the basic idea for my song.
.sig
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

FWIW both of the titles I received were pretty good but I just couldn’t think of anything to do with either of them. So I decided I’d just like. Do a song about nothing. There’s sort of a kernel of an idea about maybe a mental health thing but I didn’t want to lean into it too much since that’s like 90% of my songs already and was mostly doing word salad.

I also have an alternate version with a bridge that I was working on polishing up when the songs got posted anyway. Maybe I’ll do a real song with the ideas in it someday.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

fluffy wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:48 pm
So I decided I’d just like. Do a song about nothing.
I liked what you did. Glad you didn't hate the titles.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

gizo wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:34 pm
It really is a true story - I told crump that I wasn't going to write a song for Circle because my titles were awful. Then I told her the awful titles, and she reminded me of her artwork WHICH I KNEW ABOUT ALREADY.

I am a bad friend.

And so, once I realised what a faux pas I had made, I realised I had no other choice than to lean heavily on another friend's work, and use "Another Faux Pas in the Cathedral of Love" as the basic idea for my song.
Gizo, when you turned in your song, your message said something about Crumpart's titles, and I did kinda wonder how you knew... Then again, they're very distinct titles.

Hopefully I'll have my song done tomorrow. No promises. Meantime, Micah turned in theirs, and I've updated my post with the link, so there's one more to check out.

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Not sure how much it matters, but it looks like there was a Circle of Titles in 2018 and they called it VIII viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11227
The only place I see VIII mentioned this year is the lyric thread.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:09 pm
Not sure how much it matters, but it looks like there was a Circle of Titles in 2018 and they called it VIII viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11227
The only place I see VIII mentioned this year is the lyric thread.
This is what happens when it sit out a few years. I'll rename it to Circle of Titles IX.

JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Well, my song from Mike Lamb's title is nearly done. Pretty typical process, I pick a particular genre because I think it'll be fair easy for me to imitate, it turns out to be more wonky than I anticipated, then I make arrangement tweaks until eventually it just sounds like a Jon Eric song. Oops.

I need more time to mix, but hopefully I'll have something to share tomorrow.

Other stiffers: How's the progress coming? That's Mike Lamb, Irwin, The Cths, Jan Krueger, and Hot Pink Halo. Any news?

crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

I’ve been out all weekend, but will hopefully finish mine tomorrow. We ended up borrowing a guitar from a friend that he’d just had done up, because we have a similar guitar that need some work and wanted to figure out if it would be worthwhile. I ended up re-recording all my guitar with the borrowed one, and also recording some extra guitar with ours (which we’ve decided to keep and refurbish). I’m much happier with it now than this time last week.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

I've been home for about 10h now. Sleep next. After that I'll see about writing something.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

My original plan was to get this done pre-move but that didn’t happen so I’m in a sea of things to unpack and a big project to ship for work but I’m determined to carve out some time this weekend. (I’ve carved out several times already but they have only resulted in noodling.) I do know where my acoustic guitar is, but may have to record on my phone.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

I finished my entry, finally. I edited the post with all the songs to include my link, but here it is again: Jon Eric - Fisheye (from a title provided by Mike Lamb)

Since there's a four-letter word featured prominently in my lyrics, I figured I'd also provide a safe-for-work version as well.

Everyone else, how's it coming? Jan, Mike, Irwin, Owl, and Crumpart?

fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

oh my god I just listened to the version of my song that got posted and somehow I managed to submit a version with the guitar muted, wtf.

here's an updated version that also has a very rough version of the bridge-in-progress I mentioned, whoops sorry about that, this is why you always listen to mp3s before you send them in for fuck's sake

argh what the hell, the guitar is so not muted but logic keeps on bouncing it without it there?! wtf logic

Okay, figured it out, somehow my guitar track was set to output 3-4 so it was playing on my headphones but not getting captured to the bounce, holy heck. ANYWAY HERE IT IS

http://junk.sockpuppet.us/demos/sockpup ... hthere.mp3
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

fluffy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:20 am
oh my god I just listened to the version of my song that got posted and somehow I managed to submit a version with the guitar muted, wtf.

here's an updated version that also has a very rough version of the bridge-in-progress I mentioned, whoops sorry about that, this is why you always listen to mp3s before you send them in for fuck's sake

argh what the hell, the guitar is so not muted but logic keeps on bouncing it without it there?! wtf logic

Okay, figured it out, somehow my guitar track was set to output 3-4 so it was playing on my headphones but not getting captured to the bounce, holy heck. ANYWAY HERE IT IS

http://junk.sockpuppet.us/demos/sockpup ... hthere.mp3
I've updated the songs post above with the new version of your song. I also took the liberty of moving "Circle of Titles IX" from the "Contributing Artists" field of the ID3 tag to the "Album" field.

fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

oh oops, encoding mp3s well after bedtime is a mistake. :P Obviously I meant to set that to the album and to set artist to Sockpuppet.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

fluffy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:20 am
oh oops, encoding mp3s well after bedtime is a mistake. :P Obviously I meant to set that to the album and to set artist to Sockpuppet.
I feel your pain; I accidentally left the Artist field blank on my "Good Trouble" entry. We're all good. :ugeek:

j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

For the record i did get round to finishing the other title (with a slight change to it). http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/song/44512

j$
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

j$ wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:40 am
For the record i did get round to finishing the other title (with a slight change to it). http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/song/44512

j$
Nice j$! Hey, did 5090 start already? Also... do they just delete everything there at the start of a new 5090? All of my comments and songs... and everything are missing...
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Yeah it gets wiped every year, same with FAWM. There's an archive function to save the previous year's comments etc but unfortunately you would have needed to know that two months ago for it to be any use. It runs 4th July to 1st October.