Niv and the Exploration

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Re: Niv and the Exploration

Post by j$ »

I think the introduction of multiple fights may have had something to do with increased numbers. A lot of musicians did every title during in that time, so it may be a slightly false positive, so to speak.

J$
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Hmm, that could definitely do it. I always found the idea of doing multiple titles in one week kind of daunting -- seems like trying to do all of them would be a good way to get a lot of kind of half-assed songs. But then again that's just me. I guess our intrepid Niveous will be finding out firsthand whether or not that's the case.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

On the other hand, the multiple titles were a reaction to the individual title fights getting really huge, I thought?
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

correct. we just got tired of ppl complaining about listening to all the songs. and of course after a time we decided to take it to the absurd, for the LULZ
Lunkhead wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:17 am
On the other hand, the multiple titles were a reaction to the individual title fights getting really huge, I thought?
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
MicahSommer
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Voice, accordion, keyboards, guitar, euphonium
Recording Method: StudioOne Artist / AudioBox USB
Submitting as: Micah Sommersmith, All The Robots
Pronouns: they/them or he/him

Post by MicahSommer »

Songs per year.png
Songs per year.png (33.26 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
I couldn't resist making a graph of songs per year. Obviously we're nowhere near the peak anymore, but if 2020 continues apace (I multiplied the current 2020 number by 12/7 to get a projection of 555 songs by the end of the year), it will make three straight years of growth and the biggest year in a decade. Go us! (says the guy who hasn't submitted a single song in 2020.)
"you did a skillful job pulling off the sexy" - RangerDenni
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:39 am
Hmm, that could definitely do it. I always found the idea of doing multiple titles in one week kind of daunting -- seems like trying to do all of them would be a good way to get a lot of kind of half-assed songs. But then again that's just me. I guess our intrepid Niveous will be finding out firsthand whether or not that's the case.
There aren't a lot of half-assed songs. So far in my journey (currently at March 2004 at time of writing), very few people did both fights. You would think there would be some exponential growth in the Trash category with the extra title and sure, there was some new trolls arriving on the scene. Early Wreckdom was particularly inane. All things considered, more titles didn't change the songfight consistency, at least to my ears.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Fun fact:
There are 3285 artists listed in the archive but only 504 of those have 5 songs or more attached to them.

Of course, there's some funny business with that stat (like it doesn't include songds with features) but it is interesting that there are only about 500 artists at a base level who have crossed that threshold.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Day 13-14

I put these two days together because yesterday's listening was literally interrupted by construction. I jumped back in today and between both days went through about 270 songs. The craziest thing is all I got through is Feb and some of March 2004. Is this my favorite time in SF. Not really. I'm not a big Josh Woodward fan and a lot of the songs fell into an adult contemporary vein that didn't just out at me. This was a lot of songs that were OKAY.

Oddity: Max the Cat was all over this set of songs. Max the Cat is SF's worst kept secret. He performs under a psuedonym but his voice is so recognizable that you'd be dazed and confused if you thought it was anyone else. If you listen to the Boarding Call/ Rabies/ Danger Bus trio of fights, you'll find songs by Max the Cat, IMAX, and Minimax. They are all Max the Cat. in fact, they are all the same song. You can call it "Boarding Call, This Danger Bus has got rabies". What kind of maniac does that? Max the Cat does.

Another oddity in this set of songs is my greatest SF shame- Blueberry Hassle by Suave Noise Youth. I've done a lot of bad music at SF but that is the only one that I wish could be erased and replaced with a monologue of me saying "Dear friends, I was a 25 year old jerk. I'm sorry."

Here are the GEMS:
  • Back From Brazil by Drink Drank Drunk
  • Moscow, Idaho by Arcati Crisis
  • Moscow, Idaho by sonofsupercar
  • Romantic Cheapskate by Henrietta and the Hostage
  • Romantic Cheapskate by MC Frontalot w/ Badddspellah
  • Save a Pony From the Glue Factory by Johnny Cashpoint
  • Save a Pony From the Glue Factory by Spy Vs. Pie
  • That's Not What I Need by Doctor Worm
  • That's Not What I Need by his name is dan
  • That's Not What I Need by Octothorpe
  • I Want To Get Better by Dylan Nau
  • I Want To Get Better by Nineteen Foot Cactus Kills Gunslinger
  • Deuce by Revel Yth
  • Upcoming Downtime by Leaf 62
  • Upcoming Downtime by State Shirt
  • Lizard Wizard by Pompeii
  • Across the Dusty Plains by Henrietta and the Hostage
  • Danger Bus by Loaded Lobster and the Meat Cleavage Brigade
  • Danger Bus by Pompeii
  • Rabies by Baby in the Corner
  • Boarding Call by c.layne
  • Boarding Call by Sam Tyndall
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Day 15

Today was sexy day. Dinga da Donga got a little sexy. Gettin' All Sweaty got a lot sexy. Lucky Man, Lavender Splendor, She's on My Mind... yep. There was just something about April 2004. It was everyone sharing those hot hot Gmail invites. Remember those? Maybe it wasn't that. What was the top movie? Passion of the... Okay, not that. Blame it on Usher. Everyone was big on Usher then.

Oddity of the day: There is only one choice for this day. "The Puppet's Dream" by Lightning Ear Fart. Who doesn't love two hours of noise in the middle of your fight. Thankfully I remember that one was coming and didn't waste any time on it.

It's an interesting time. Jonathan Mann is still entering as 40 Second Songs. Josh Woodward is still doing that adult contemporary that voters really dug in 2004. There are a lot of Brits like Pompeii and J$ doing good things. Redcar is a big band in the mix. And this set of songs included the debuts of The Hell Yeahs and Loyalty Day. This all will evolve over the next few months. But time is weird in SF. A band's career can be huge and short. Wait until I get up to Deshead. He had 22 SF wins but only fought between Nov 2004 and Feb 2006. Isn't that nuts.

Here are today's GEMS:
  • Nicely Toasted by Abominominous
  • Lavender Splendor by Lonbobby feat. Maiko
  • Zombie Son by The Frontalittle Squad
  • Zombie Son by Jim Tyrrell
  • Zombie Son by Roy Castle
  • Lucky Man by Abominominous
  • Don't Forget to Come to My House on Wednesday by The Idiot Kings
  • Don't Forget to Come to My House on Wednesday by Johnny Cashpoint
  • She's On My Mind by Jim of Seattle
  • She's On My Mind by Josh Woodward
  • Dinga Da Donga by Dreamy Mo and the Commoners
  • The Puppet's Dream by King Arthur
  • The Puppet's Dream by Motor Monkeys
Still enjoying this journey. There is a ton of good music. If anyone wants to a figure out a way to have a Songfight only radio station, I'd happily be your DJ. (Tommy G can handle the morning show, I'll do drive time)
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

Niveous wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:37 pm
Still enjoying this journey. There is a ton of good music. If anyone wants to a figure out a way to have a Songfight only radio station, I'd happily be your DJ. (Tommy G can handle the morning show, I'll do drive time)
I'm game! I'm looking to do recaps of your Gem songs in the off weeks from the current SongFight soon if you'd like to drop some background in audio clips. I think it'd be a fun show to listen to.
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Day 16

Still knee deep in 2004. Made my way from April to May. Lots of smaller fights. 160+ songs in a month's time. This section included a couple of songs that raised an eyebrow for me. For instance, "A Promise is a Promise" by Pompeii. I used to love that song wholeheartedly. But now it's 2020 and it kinda reeks of things like kink shaming. It feels like when you're watching Revenge of the Nerds again or Porky's or American Pie... gosh sex comedies don't age well. Still love the guitar work on the thing and I still would listen to it a second time but with greater hesitation than I used to. Hmmmm.

Oddity: Another song that hasn't stood the test of time is Eddiebangs with Glenn and Rachel doing a sea shanty about pirating music. That's a thing that happened.

I should take a moment to mention a story from this time. This period sees the creation of Suave Noise Youth. I think we had 4 songs in the span of that month. Suave Noise Youth is an anagram for Niveous Hates You. I was a part of this "record label" with a bunch of Songfighters in it and we were all so angsty about the state of Songfight that we made a supergroup. And we gave ourselves some of the most insane psuedonyms. http://songfight.org/artistpage.php?key ... oise_youth. I'm honestly struggling to remember who was who in this motley crue: MC Menasor, Howard the Human, Bucko, Amateur Drunken Samurai, Threepac Bastard, Skinny Pete, Blondeshell, Tendril Menudo Jr., Dopplegang$ta, DH Hussy, Insane Prophet, Trilobite TK, Excessive Desperado and Heather the Boy Chicken. I know that participants included me, J$, Jon Eric, HInc, Starfinger, Fruedian Slip, His Name is Dan, my sister, my friend Mike, Fishboy Rex, TVIYH and others but I can't recall who had which name other than a few. Can't recall all the punchlines from 14 year old jokes. shrug.

Here are the GEMS:
  • Take a Pill by Glenn Case feat. Eddiebangs
  • Take a Pill by Squirrel Damage
  • Take a Pill by Tonetripper
  • Fight the Sea by Josh Woodward
  • A Very Unlikely Occurrence by The Idiot Kings feat. Jim of Seattle
  • Mission Accomplished by The Idiot Kings
  • Hold This For Me by The Hell Yeahs
  • Hold This For Me by The Idiot Kings
  • Hold This For Me by Sissy Fist
  • There Are So Many Possibilities by Forty Second Songs
  • There Are So Many Possibilities by Puce
  • There Are So Many Possibilities by The Sober Irishman
  • Snooter by Johnny Cashpoint
  • Snooter by Josh Woodward
  • A Promise is a Promise by C Hack
  • A Promise is a Promise by Loyalty Day
  • A Promise is a Promise by Pompeii
  • So Kind Stacey by Pompeii
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

So, as of yesterday, I had gone through 2489 songs. That means I'm just about at 20% done with the archive!

Here is where my findings stand:
227 GEM
1583 OKAY
669 TRASH
10 OTHER
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Niveous wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:36 am
So, as of yesterday, I had gone through 2489 songs. That means I'm just about at 20% done with the archive!

Here is where my findings stand:
227 GEM
1583 OKAY
669 TRASH
10 OTHER
~10% gem rate seems awfully generous. Exhibit A:
Niveous wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:50 am
  • There Are So Many Possibilities by The Sober Irishman
I feel you on the archive cringe. I don't think I outright dropped any "cancel"-able lyrics, but there's certainly some stuff of mine in the archive I'd rather forget. Hopefully we grow and get better.
🤠
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Yeah I have a couple from way back in the day I deliberately didn't claim during the last gift of music cause nobody needs to hear that...
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Day 17 & 18

These two days comprised the nearly 300 songs of late May 2004 to late July 2004. And it was a lot of OKAY songs which is a blessing and a curse. On one hand, it's a bunch of songs that I didn't kill me when I heard them. On the other hand, there was a lot of stuff that was just middle-of-the-road and sometimes you need those extremes to keep you alert. It's like a long stretch of highway with no scenery.

There were some interesting things in there on occasion though. There were the three Beatles titles which brought out varying degrees of creativity. Caravan Ray made his debut. Puce (Max Bombast) was here. Michael Maas. c. layne.

There were some good collabs here like Sissy Fist which was 15-16 Puzzle with Son of Supercar. There was also Johnny in the Corner which was Jack Shite & Johnny Cashpoint. Gosh, I need to look in my old hard drive and see if I still have the associated acts list. I feel like that may become pertinent information as this thing goes on. Oh, speaking of collabs, can't forget the debut of the Elite Inner Echelon Blood Circle, aka the most grandiose way of saying "We are a bunch of people who share the same birthday".

Oddity: State Shirt rapped on a song. That was odd. And have you ever heard the Systik Mybrosis song that won the Sincerity Machine fight? It tries to tackle telepathy in song. It's weird.

GEMS:
  • Hey Ruth by Jim Tyrrell
  • Say the Word by The Def Author
  • Say the Word by Doscientos
  • Say the Word by Future Boy
  • Less of You by c.layne feat. Revel Yth
  • Less of You by Glorious Mono
  • Thanks for Coming by Chriven
  • Thanks for Coming by Dr. Water
  • Elvis in Space by Abominominous
  • Cellar Door by Loyalty Day feat. King Arthur
  • Cellar Door by Puce
  • Sincerity Machine by Michael Maas
  • The Chair We Share by Johnny Cashpoint
  • In Full Effect by 10 Feet Tall
  • Texas by Diode
  • Texas by Max The Cat
  • A Day in the Life by The Befores
  • A Day in the Life by Sissy Fist
  • Paperback Writer by The Funk Nuggets
  • Let It Be by Johnny In The Corner
  • Let It Be by Kens Super Duper Car n Stuff
  • WTF by Redcar
  • Under The Horse by sonofsupercar
  • Dizzy Spells by Freddielove
  • Quentin Tarantino by Blind Mime Ensemble
  • Quentin Tarantino by R. Mosquito
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Archive Cringe:
In the Gutter by Chris Voss.
"Her heart began to flutter as he fucked her in the gutter then left her body there where it belongs".
What? What??
And it's power pop.
What???
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Day 19.

Knocked 200 more songs off the list getting me to September 2004. Day 20 will include the Cur fight which I'm really looking forward to hearing with 2020 ears. It was the fight where SF pushed for experimentation (which I think should always happen anyway) and I wanna listen again to the results. But the undercurrent of weird appears here in Day 19 as you get stuff like that band whose name just mucks up things and was sometimes just referred to as "tildecloseasterpipeasteropentilde" which was the early forays of later appearing weirdos Phunt Your Friends. There was also the first appearances of Down With Gender whose entries varied from experimental to just plain trolling. And this is also the point where WreckdoM went from just plain trolling to the true avant garde wizards they were destined to become.

Oddity: One that I wouldn't have realized if it wasn't for the way I'm listening. The last song of "Can't Take Our Love Away" was by Phole. The first song of "I'm With Steve Now" was by The Big Dumb Jerks. They're the same song but with slightly different lyrics.

Here are the GEMS:
  • In The Ditch by The Hell Yeahs
  • In The Ditch by ~)*|*(~
  • Five Minutes by C Hack
  • Five Minutes by Josh Woodward
  • The Gutter by Brittlebone and the Fractures
  • Jimmy Hat by Sad Big Eden
  • Gin or Ginseng by Abominominous
  • Gin or Ginseng by Buffalo Speedway feat. J and Odnard
  • Chainsaw by The Air Kick Pigeon Band
  • Chainsaw by Josh Woodward
  • I'm With Steve Now by Gyre feat. Emma Lee
  • Can't Take Our Love Away by Johnny Cashpoint
  • Can't Take Our Love Away by Jute Gyte
  • As Icons of my Youth Fall Silent by Forty Second Songs
  • As Icons of my Youth Fall Silent by Hentai Kitty Death
  • As Icons of my Youth Fall Silent by Max The Cat
  • Gift with Purchase by Kimmy D
  • Big Disco by Miss Teen Universe
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Day 20.

Actually got in a few songs yesterday during my day off but this is the full 20th day. Today I reached the point where Songfight got our current forum. That gave me the chance to compare my listening from today with my opinions from 16 years ago. I'm not gonna do that anymore. I remember once on livejournal that someone called me a hipster elitist. I read those old reviews and I can see it. I was awfully pretentious, especially for someone who was still learning the ropes.

This set of songs had some interesting stuff. There was Cur aka the Blind Mime Noise Challenge. There was Half a Stone, which was the live fight title from Songfight UK. A ton of small fights. Lots of songs that you can sink your teeth into. There's one of the greatest Weezer copies you'll ever hear as done by one hit wonder Hobbes. Hoblit does a great Ramones during From This Day On. Lots to check out.

Oops: Little weird things here and there. Two songs from Are You Having Fun? just plain didn't work. One song in Start Over is listed as Astrolamb_so which is clearly wrong but will probably stay wrong forever as a piece of history. Tony Hightower's Shower Scene is clearly supposed to be Start Over but he ended up in the wrong place and that's where he'll stay\

Oddity: I had a huge Mandela Effect moment. J$'s "Half a Stone". I clearly remember him singiing "You say 7 kilos, we say half a stone". I remember conversations where we explained that the only Americans who use kilos are drug dealers. But when I listened today... "7 pounds". Did I jump dimensions? Is this the one with Fruit Loops and Berenstein Bears????

Here are the GEMS:
  • Hero Points by Abominominous
  • Are You Having Fun? by Henrietta and the Hostage
  • Are You Having Fun? by Loyalty Day
  • From This Day On by The Unknones
  • Frannie by Los Hermanos
  • Frannie by sonofsupercar
  • Laugh Riot by Loyalty Day
  • Chaos vs. Order by Draft
  • Tri-State Area by The Cow Exchange
  • Tri-State Area by Southwest Statistic
  • I Don't Like Eggplant by Dreamy Mo and the Commoners
  • I Don't Like Eggplant by sonofsupercar
  • Start Over by c.layne
  • Start Over by Doctor Worm
  • Nearly Burned the House Down by PiGPEN
  • I Thought I Loved You by Poor June
  • I Thought I Loved You by Sven Mullet
  • Moon Shine by Henrietta and the Hoodlums
  • Left/Right by Hobbes
  • Half a Stone by Johnny Cashpoint
  • Massive Intelligence Failure by Freddielove
  • Massive Intelligence Failure by The Likely Lads
  • I Am Tempted by Humbert
  • I Am Tempted by Josh Woodward
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Man how many other PHPBB installations have been running for 16 years. And we’ve had like, a day, maybe two, of downtime all those years right?— hope I didn’t jinx it.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Niveous wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:33 pm
Oops: Little weird things here and there. Two songs from Are You Having Fun? just plain didn't work.
It's extremely awesome that you're doing a quality assurance pass over the whole archive like this, as I said. We can maybe fix some of these things. You didn't say which songs so I went to check, it's the Max the Cat song:

http://www.songfight.org/music/are_you_ ... t_ayhf.mp3

And the Overcast song:

http://www.songfight.org/music/are_you_ ... t_ayhf.mp3

Perhaps fluffy can work some wizardry on these and fix them up. Or maybe they worked correctly originally and got corrupted somehow somewhere along the way and somebody in the community has working versions of these files that we could upload into the archive in place of the broken ones.
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Day 21.

Got through about 130 songs. A lot going on in this group of songs. You had Deshead on the rise. It was the first appearance of Luke Henley. Josh Woodward debuted his alter ego Big Mountain Fudge Cake. This is the beginning of Wreckdom going from trolling weird to awesome weird. 15-16 Puzzle is back in the mix. And SF got all nostalgic. Is it too early for nostalgia? Late 2004 they reused titles from 2000 and brought back all of the old tracks. It did feel a little weird, I have to say. This set of songs also included the debut of the late Edge of L.A. With all the artists that come and go through Songfight, I wonder how many have passed. Morbid thought, I know. But it's a part of wondering about all these artists. All throughout this process, I have been holding myself back from doing a deep dive. There are only about 500 artists in the archive who have 5 songs or more. That's a solid number for a project (updating a wiki or the cards or something). But I have to pull myself back. Maybe in 2 months when this big listen is done, I consider taking that on. Oh, and Songfight Radio. That's another project to resurrect. I was looking at that thread today and wish those links still worked.

Oops: In the Les Anchois fight, Pipe Fist and Hostess Mostess tied for the win with 21 votes each, but only HM is listed as a winner. Gotta say, what a little SF career for Pipe Fist. They entered 8 fights and won 5 (though it only says 4). That's mighty impressive.

Here are the GEMS:
  • Dark All Day by Glenn Case and the Half Racks
  • ABCD Puppies by Bjam
  • Zero 2 Phantom by The Befores
  • Piece of My Heat by The Def Author
  • Piece of My Heat by The Hell Yeahs
  • Red Skates by Loose Laces
  • Wrath Of God by Interactive Electric Nipple
  • Wrath Of God by The Likely Lads
  • Les Anchois by DesTete
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Niveous wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:13 pm
Oops: In the Les Anchois fight, Pipe Fist and Hostess Mostess tied for the win with 21 votes each, but only HM is listed as a winner. Gotta say, what a little SF career for Pipe Fist. They entered 8 fights and won 5 (though it only says 4). That's mighty impressive.
I think we can fix that.