Niv and the Exploration

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Re: Niv and the Exploration

Post by Niveous »

Day 22

Welcome to 2005. I have finished 2004. And that certainly ended with a bang. A lot of stuff happening here. The final Fluffy Porcupine song was in this lot. They would debut Sockpuppet in 2006. This section would be where I would run down little cool bits like Jute Gyte and Puce (Max Bombast) collaborating as Children of God; Grumpy Mike debuting as Manhattan Glutton, or how this is where Lindsay of the BeWells debuted but I really wanna talk about the oddity.

Oddity: There was some quirky stuff in this lot for sure, like the song by Robot Tarzan which is just a Danish pop song backwards for no apparant reason. But I wanna talk about a weird trend from this time and I guess Jim of Seattle spearheaded it. You had Songfight Orchestra and Ants (Invisible) and both of them existed to make short song bits that if you listened to them all in a row would create one giant piece. Ants was just JoS trying this out solo and you can see where it flowed between "The Wrong Girl" and "Fell Out of the Sky". Essentially he made a two minute song called "the Wrong Girl Fell Out of the Sky". SFO used a revolving door of artists to attempt the same thing. Now in hindsight, you can listen to the finished products and they are wildly disjointed things. The flow never really appeared. interesting idea though.

Here are the GEMS
  • Run Faster by Children of God
  • The Pawnbroker's Stepdaughter by Puce
  • The Pawnbroker's Stepdaughter by Rule 6
  • Things To Do In New York by Eight Legged Oedipus
  • Things To Do In New York by Fifteen Years
  • Hope You're Okay by Deshead
  • Hope You're Okay by Me$$iah
  • Hope You're Okay by Morbid Morgan
  • Hope You're Okay by R. Mosquito
  • I Wish I Was So Sure by R. Mosquito
  • Fell Out of the Sky by Deshead
  • Fell Out of the Sky by State Shirt
  • Ninja Gang by Boltoph
  • Ninja Gang by The Frontalittle Squad
  • Glass Eye by Doctor Worm
  • Glass Eye by Mother Funker
  • When it Snowed by Deshead
  • When it Snowed by Null Dynamo
  • The Truth About Aspartame by 15-16 Puzzle
  • The Truth About Aspartame by The Bewells
  • Prep School by Max The Cat
and now off i go into Jan 2005 where SF was doing 4 fights at a time. I am not looking forward to that.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

Wow, I had actually never thought of listening to the whole Song Fight Orchestra "song" before. You can do that here http://sfjukebox.org/artists/Song%20Fight%20Orchestra by sorting the songs oldest to newest and hitting play. Fun!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Lunkhead wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:30 pm
Niveous wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:13 pm
Oops: In the Les Anchois fight, Pipe Fist and Hostess Mostess tied for the win with 21 votes each, but only HM is listed as a winner. Gotta say, what a little SF career for Pipe Fist. They entered 8 fights and won 5 (though it only says 4). That's mighty impressive.
I think we can fix that.
This is fixed on the "Les Anchois" fight page in the official archive now. The Pipe Fist artist page doesn't seem to have updated. I think that will probably get updated next time I do the whole site update. I'll get around to fixing it all in the Jukebox at some point too. UPDATE: Fixed in the Jukebox.
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Day 23-24

Started one day, got swamped by work and other stuff and then finished it today. Got through 300+ songs and I'll be honest with you. This set was nowhere close to my favorites. Sure, there is some good stuff in there like the Systematic Panic fight which is one of my favorites but there are a lot of things I really dislike in there. This set includes that Hillbilly song that uses the N-Word and created a ridiculous argument back in the day between those who believe in free speech and those who say there's no reason to use it. As a BIPOC, I decided not to give that one any type of score. Wasn't fond of Electrocushion's "Toy Puddle" throwing around "God hates fags" either. Ugh. There was a lot to dislike in this set.

And I say all this with the knowledge that this was one of my most prolific times at Songfight. This is the point where I started recording as x-tokyo-river-god and making strange electronic pieces with a text to speech vocalist I called Nataly K. "Snow Fort"by XTRG still stands up as a good song. Then it goes down hill and by the time it gets to "Saint Peter" where I'm doing the vocals myself, it's really bad. Thankfully when I listen to tomorrow's set, it will be the point where XTRG becomes a trio with Noah McLaughlin & Johnny Cashpoint helping me to right the ship into some much better experimentation.

Enough with all this bad stuff, here are some GEMS:
  • Naked on the Meach by Jim Tyrrell
  • Failure and Regret by Abecedarian
  • Failure and Regret by Deshead
  • Hollywood Fantasy by Loyalty Day
  • We Are All Famous by Dopant
  • Dog Boy Hits the Skids by Eight Legged Oedipus
  • Shut Up and Sit Down by Deshead
  • 1000 Words by The HipTripper
  • 1000 Words by Luke Henley
  • Bite Size by Mellified Man
  • Gallows Hill by Josh Woodward
  • Tank Top by Andy Balham feat. Sarah Beanz
  • Tank Top by Deshead
  • Snow Fort by Eight Legged Oedipus
  • Devils Live In A Quiet Pond by c.layne
  • Devils Live In A Quiet Pond by The Special Relatives
  • Punk Bartender by WreckdoM
  • Our Love Violates Corporate Policy by Minty Handy
  • Pig Sticker by Johnny Cashpoint
  • Pig Sticker by Minty Handy
  • Everybody Now by Ants (Invisible)
  • Everybody Now by sonofsupercar
  • Systematic Panic by Abecedarian
  • Systematic Panic by Calfborg
  • Systematic Panic by The Hell Yeahs
  • Systematic Panic by Motor Monkeys
  • Hiss and Hearse by Johnny Cashpoint
  • Oh Britney by Sell Crazy
  • Ancient by sonofsupercar
I would also like to state that I really like "Systematic Panic" by JBB... but not as an electronic song as it appears in the archive. I like how it evolved years later as done by JB's band Menage A Garage. https://magrocks.bandcamp.com/track/systematic-panic
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Day 25

Still trucking my way through 2005. There's a lot of Deshead doing that thing where he does a subtle verse and then brings a powerful chorus and then wins everything. Phunt was running around doing songs that were just lectures over the slightest bit of music. I was doing weird stuff too that was once referred to as "Emo Wreckdom". J$ was in prime form. We saw the Double Team Techno Dream which was the real hint of Merisan to come. I don't have a ton to say because despite covering almost 170 songs today... it was only a month's worth of Songfight. 2005 was a wild time. So many songs.

Oddity: Ryan Hardigan. That name totally didn't ring a bell. Usually I see a name pop up and it's a reflexive cue to the music I'm about to hear that I've listened to once many moons ago. Why did I forget him? Because he only made instrumentals and that's pretty frowned upon around these parts. But he did make some good tunes. I even gave one of his songs a GEM because I would totally listen to it again. And I give another one, "Get Me Back", the oddity mention because it's some sort of Legend of Zelda remix.

Here are the GEMS:
  • Die For Me by Hope, Oath, and Suspicion
  • Die For Me by roymond
  • Baseball Vs. Opera by Hostess Mostess
  • Ellis Island by Senza
  • Ellis Island by x-tokyo-river-god
  • Honeymoon in Polynesia by roymond
  • A & A by add
  • Don't Break My Heart Again, George Lucas by Caravan Ray
  • Don't Break My Heart Again, George Lucas by Jim Tyrrell
  • Scissor Kick by Johnny Cashpoint
  • I Meant to Remember by IRC All Stars
  • Get Me Back by Johnny Cashpoint
  • Mad City by Ryan Hardigan
  • One Beautiful Summer by Double Team Techno Dream
  • Courage by State Shirt
I'll be taking a few days away from the project to work on music. I'll be back at it, refreshed, on Tuesday.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Lunkhead wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:20 am
Lunkhead wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:30 pm
Niveous wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:13 pm
Oops: In the Les Anchois fight, Pipe Fist and Hostess Mostess tied for the win with 21 votes each, but only HM is listed as a winner. Gotta say, what a little SF career for Pipe Fist. They entered 8 fights and won 5 (though it only says 4). That's mighty impressive.
I think we can fix that.
This is fixed on the "Les Anchois" fight page in the official archive now. The Pipe Fist artist page doesn't seem to have updated. I think that will probably get updated next time I do the whole site update. I'll get around to fixing it all in the Jukebox at some point too. UPDATE: Fixed in the Jukebox.
This is fixed on the Pipe Fist artist page in the official archive now too.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Ha! Just discovered this thread. Great stuff Niv. From a child of the golden year of 2004.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Here's a question: how has the genre composition as a whole changed over the few years so far? Are there any styles (other than instrumental ones) that have been exceedingly rare? I know metal fighters aren't super common, and I haven't heard a lot of bluegrass on here.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I'd even been interested in how it's changed from arrangements (sparse to busy) Heaviness (acoustic-ish to distortion or electronic pop to EDM etc.,) or just in general feeling of the changes. It's hard to get a feel listening to a fight here and there.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Well, a small nightmare has occurred. Had a computer crash and somehow lost a couple of days worth of spreadsheet. Thankfully I have a paper backup...
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Every time I see the thread title I want to see it as "Niv and the Explodation"
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

and I keep thinking this means Niveous has started a new band called The Exploration
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Lunkhead wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:02 pm
Niveous wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:33 pm
Oops: Little weird things here and there. Two songs from Are You Having Fun? just plain didn't work.
It's extremely awesome that you're doing a quality assurance pass over the whole archive like this, as I said. We can maybe fix some of these things. You didn't say which songs so I went to check, it's the Max the Cat song:

http://www.songfight.org/music/are_you_ ... t_ayhf.mp3

And the Overcast song:

http://www.songfight.org/music/are_you_ ... t_ayhf.mp3

Perhaps fluffy can work some wizardry on these and fix them up. Or maybe they worked correctly originally and got corrupted somehow somewhere along the way and somebody in the community has working versions of these files that we could upload into the archive in place of the broken ones.
Oops I wasn't subscribed to this thread so I didn't see this post until just now.

It looks like the Overcast entry is MPEG-1 layer 2 (instead of layer 3), and no idea what the heck the Max the Cat entry is. Unfortunately, whatever the Max the Cat one was, I can't find any tools that can make heads or tails of it. But I've converted the Overcast entry to a proper mp3.

FWIW the review thread is in archive.org: http://web.archive.org/web/200501061845 ... 5&t=001461 - looks like nobody could play the Max the Cat entry, and the Overcast entry, while playable, sounded like crap even by the standards of the day. Which is unsurprising given it's a low-bitrate pre-mp3 file. How do people even end up with these things? Jeeze.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

fluffy wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:38 pm
no idea what the heck the Max the Cat entry is. Unfortunately, whatever the Max the Cat one was, I can't find any tools that can make heads or tails of it.
Looking at a hex dump it looks like a project file for some DAW (Apple, presumably, so maybe Garageband?) with ID3 tags tacked on... there are track names, item names, plugin config XML and other fun things in it.

Edit: actually I'm fairly sure it's a Logic file. There are mentions of Logic within.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Ah, interesting. The id3 tags on the one in the archive are my fault, but I have the original un-tagged file as submitted on my local machine (and have restored it to the archive as well). I was able to open it in Logic and unsurprisingly there's very little that's actually playable inside, it's mostly just a crapton of tracks that reference unavailable wav files. There's a few instrument tracks that I might try playing if I can figure out what the instruments were supposed to map to but it'll be sparse, at best.

Oh well!
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Here's about all I could recover from it.
maxthecat-ayhf-skeleton.mp3
(1.42 MiB) Downloaded 51 times
maxthecat.jpg
maxthecat.jpg (155.05 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

My opinion (worth what you paid) If it didn't play in the original fight it probably should be removed.
I also think you should share the stems or the midi from that song and have a side remix fight: Mat The Cax Remix
Or maybe optional challenge or something.

But it was cool to listen to and interesting to see what you did to recover those songs, Fluffy.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Seriously that's some CSI shit. ENHANCE
🤠
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Day 25 (kinda)

I had taken a couple of days off from the project to work on some music. I was thrown into working on a one hit wonders compilation and ended up working on covers of "Your Woman", "No Myth", "The Promise", "Angel Eyes" and "Missing You". It was a crazy few days. Then I came back to the project and several days worth of work were gone and it took the wind right out of my sails. But I will persist.

There definitely were some oddities in this bunch, like Phunt Your Friends' 16 minute epic "Happy Life" that starts with the Templates bit. There's DJ3XHC's "What's In It For Me" with its dirty talking robot. How about Morbid Morgan's vagina and dildo filled art? There's lots I could talk about but like I said, I feel like this project took a sucker punch and I need to take a second and get the wind back. So, I'm just going to post up a new set of GEMS, look at it and say "Okay, back on track" and then jump back into this all in earnest on Monday.

GEMS:
  • Season Finale by Hussalonia
  • Feet by Max The Cat
  • I'm Not Impressed by Puce
  • Mean to Me by Adam Dachis
  • Crossroads by Deshead
  • Crossroads by Loyalty Day
  • Crossroads by The Nutwalls
  • What's in it for Me? by Loyalty Day
  • What's in it for Me? by Stolar Skye
  • Policy of Rape by Jute Gyte
  • Policy of Rape by Southwest Statistic & Puce
  • Janjaweed by sonofsupercar
  • Happy Life by Jute Gyte
  • Happy Life by Shovel Sitting Down
  • Short Life by Max The Cat
  • Fat & Happy by Black Bottle
  • Twin Kiss by Starfinger
  • I Hate You by State Shirt
  • I Hate You by Wally Harbinger
  • Obey All The Laws by Sell Crazy
  • One Less by Future Boy
  • One Less by Hostess Mostess
Did that. Good.

Okay, also there was a question about how genres have changed. I think that's a question for a later part of this exploration. But i will say that I think genre is a really funny thing so I also may not be the best person to ask either, even though I'm doing all this listening.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Day 26,

A simple little day of exploration. It covered August 2005 to early September 2005. Was there anything wild or unusual? Any big stories? Well, let's see. This is where Melvin starts popping up but he isn't the forced to be reckoned with just yet. Pumpkin Buzzard is in the mix- that's what happens when Jute Gyte and Calfborg and their record labelmates have a supergroup. Since there isn't a ton to talk about in this set of songs other than a deep monologue from Fluffy during "God Hates Penguins", I'll tell a fun story from around this game (it's actually a little later). Jute Gyte of Pumpkin Buzzard sends me a PM out of the blue one day and asks for my address because he wants to send me something. Here was someone I barely knew other than being a fan of their music. I don't recall why I send the address as that sends up all the stranger danger flags, but I did and I don't regret it. One day I received a mysterious box. What was inside? The guys from Pumpkin Buzzard sent me CD copies of their entire discography. I was a fan of their music and they just wanted to thank me. It was like 9 CDs (all in these long DVD cases) worth of music. It was pretty awesome.

Okay since writing this is actually taking time away from listening to stuff on Day 27, here are the GEMS.
  • Funeral Director by Draft
  • ...In Bed by Gert
  • ...In Bed by Luke Henley, featuring Madi
  • I Know My Rights by Caravan Ray
  • I Know My Rights by Jim Tyrrell
  • I Know My Rights by roymond
  • I Know My Rights by Southwest Statistic feat. Brass Candle
  • Come a Hellin' by Ross Durand
  • Come a Hellin' by Wally Harbinger
  • Rattle by Japantown Three
  • Rattle by Vivid Life Sound Labs
  • God Hates Penguins by Ben Foxworthy
  • God Hates Penguins by LMNOP
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Day 27.

Made my way through 185 songs and have arrived at the end of October 2005. This is the time period where Songfight was on TV. Spud and JB appeared on G4TV. If you've never heard of G4, it was a cable network that leaned heavily on video game related content but they also loved tech and all things internet which lead them to Songfight's door. Two fights were born out of that, Attack of the Show (which was the name of the show JB & Spud were on) and Prayer for Pancakes (a 30 minute fight that happened during the program).

Other things from this time period include a couple of notable debuts- Merisan; Seamus Collective; Those Meddling Kids; and the infamous Rone Rivendale. There are also a bunch of quirky titles such as "Rockopolousaninjananophone Eternal- the Vishnu Cycle" and "Welcome To ____________". There was a winning instrumental. Smalltown Mike won with a skit. This was a very interesting month to go through.

Here are the GEMS:
  • I'm Going Away for a While by The Divorce
  • Fax Machine by Jesus Barbedwire Suicide
  • I'm Having Trouble Concentrating by Monorail Racetrack
  • Attack of the Show by The East Bay Acolytes
  • Attack of the Show by Octothorpe
  • Prayer for Pancakes by Luke Henley
  • Pieces of Eight by Johnny Cashpoint
  • Pieces of Eight by The Seamus Collective
  • Boundaries by Dos Enemigos
  • Boundaries by Motor Monkeys
  • Boundaries by Thornberry
  • Big Yankee Fan by Link vs. Music
  • Dead Nose by Luke Henley feat. Steve Durand
  • Welcome to ______ by Bax
  • Welcome to ______ by Jim of Seattle
  • Welcome to ______ by Merisan
  • Welcome to ______ by Piracy Undermines Creative Expression!
  • Welcome to ______ by The Tiny Paws of Fury
  • Clip Art by sonofsupercar
  • Brimming With Tears by Melvin
  • Rockopolousaninjananophone Eternal- The Vishnu Cycle by Frankie and the Falangists
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Day 28

Made my way through 160 songs today. I was a very good set of songs. Not a huge amount og GEMS but there was a lot of good tunes in there. This was the first appearance of Anti-M as well as Tiny Robots. I don't have a ton to say. It was a bunch of straightforward fights. A couple of surprise appearances in there like MC Frontalot in "Fresh Dog" and Balls to Monte returning in "We Have The Technology" after a year and a half absence.

Seeing as i just did a 30 minute interview with Glenn Case talking about SF, I'm gonna take this opportunity to use that as a cop out and go straight to the GEMS. :)

GEMS:
  • How Do You Like the Colors? by Eddiebangs
  • Leaf Blower by Location, Location, Location
  • We All Need Love by Jordan Seavers
  • We All Need Love by Melvin
  • We All Need Love by Mime Cavity
  • We All Need Love by Phunt Caravan Ray
  • Other Places I Have Lived by Anti-M
  • Other Places I Have Lived by Deshead
  • Other Places I Have Lived by HANK.
  • Fresh Dog by MC Frontalot
  • Fresh Dog by sonofsupercar
  • Fresh Dog by VISITATIONS
  • The Red Door by Anti-M
  • Mountain Home by Lin-Z
  • We Have the Technology by Luke Henley
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo