Remixfight

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Re: Remixfight

Post by jast »

There sure is a lot of pre-processing on these tracks... this will be interesting.
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

Depending on how the timing goes, I can do a Listening Party for the Mixdowns with the last SF of the year on 12/28 if people are interested.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Gosh I haven't even started mine yet and ostensibly they're due in... two days? gah
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise
Pronouns: he/him

Post by lichenthroat »

How do we submit these? Should we post them in the thread or email them somewhere?
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I've been working on mine in the evenings but it looks like I'm out of time as I'm out of town the next two days. I'll need directions on who to send this too before too long or it will have to wait until my return on Monday the 21st.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Evermind
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: UAD Volt 2, MXL770, Alesis VMini, Reaper, Hydrogen
Submitting as: Evermind, Moody Vermin, Ever Kenievel

Post by Evermind »

lichenthroat wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:23 pm
How do we submit these? Should we post them in the thread or email them somewhere?
Let's post them in the thread!
I am definitely too square for how experimental this is, but I can imagine that if I was in the right state of mind, the section starting at 2:20 might transport me to another dimension - jeffhenderson
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Here's mine. I'm out of time. I hope you don't mind. I used this as a "mix" fight instead of a true remix. I only used the tracks in the download. I didn't have time to go too crazy so I focused on getting as clean a mix as possible. I'm looking forward to hearing all the other mixes.

https://songfight.net/forums/download/file.php?mode=view&id=1478
Attachments
PigfarmerJr_WalkieTalkieRemixDec20v3.mp3
(4.36 MiB) Downloaded 65 times

lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise

Post by lichenthroat »

Here's mine. I added a tiny bit but mostly used the tracks in the download, and not nearly all of them.

https://songfight.net/forums/download/file.php?id=1479
lichenthroat_walkie_talkie_mix.mp3
(3.09 MiB) Downloaded 71 times
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I don't think I can do anything with these tracks. Oh well.
seemanski
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: seemanski

Post by seemanski »

Here's mine, I basically pinched the bits of the tracks I liked. Messed around with them and pasted it all around. I moved the vocals around a bit, I have no idea what it means so the track lyrically probably makes absolutely no sense if translated. I couldn't do anything with the drums to make them pop out (my eq and compressor knowledge was no enough). So I found some samples and slapped them on top. I did put a little bit of synth from the second verse but other than that I re-used what was there and just arsed around shifting them about and applying different plugins to try and change the sound. I had fun with this :)

https://songfight.net/forums/download/file.php?id=1480
seemanski_wt.mp3
(2.83 MiB) Downloaded 64 times
Evermind
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Vocals, Bass
Recording Method: UAD Volt 2, MXL770, Alesis VMini, Reaper, Hydrogen
Submitting as: Evermind, Moody Vermin, Ever Kenievel

Post by Evermind »

This was a tough mix, but fun! So many tracks, and some of them were REALLY rough (looking at you, drums). I took this opportunity to try simulating the signal flow of an analog studio using Hamptone pre-amps fed into a British 8-track mixing console, and using a TC-260 for tape bounces, all simulated in software.

I've included both the version with all the studio simulation, and one with it cut out. Obviously it's not a 100% fair comparison since all the character of the analog simulation affected the way I ended up balancing / EQing everything, but you can really hear the difference between the two, and I think I'm going to continue using this simulated analog studio method for future rock mixes.
Attachments
evermind_mix_walkietalkie_no_sim.mp3
(3.74 MiB) Downloaded 53 times
evermind_mix_walkietalkie.mp3
(3.79 MiB) Downloaded 58 times
I am definitely too square for how experimental this is, but I can imagine that if I was in the right state of mind, the section starting at 2:20 might transport me to another dimension - jeffhenderson
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Here’s mine! I really enjoyed doing this. Set myself the limits of No Subtraction and No Addition, so there’s no new recordings and I used all the tracks supplied. Out of curiosity I wanted to see how long it took me, so I made a new project in my freelance time tracking app, and it clocked in at exactly four hours (over the course of a few days).

HotPinkHalo_mix_WalkieTalkie.mp3
(4.68 MiB) Downloaded 60 times
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
WreckdoMelle
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox, sax (sorta)
Recording Method: Bitwig Studio
Submitting as: Brown Word and the Big Whine, sometimes WreckdoM
Pronouns: she/her

Post by WreckdoMelle »

Bah, I dropped the ball. Was moving rooms, which includes my studio and wanted to focus on Mystery Solved. Maybe next time!
Brown Word and the Big Whine on Bandcamp:
http://brownwordandthebigwhine.bandcamp.com
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I speeded it up and added different drums

All the rest is the same, though I only used the bits I liked - but cut up and pitch shifted a bit
Attachments
caravanray_remixfight.mp3
(1.83 MiB) Downloaded 47 times
jast
Ice Cream Man

Post by jast »

I spent a few hours on a mix, using all of the original track in exactly the original places. I'll relisten after a good night's sleep, add any tweaks that come to mind and then I'll upload it.
I also recorded a live stream of (most of) what I did, which I can share with you guys if you're interested...
jast
Ice Cream Man

Post by jast »

Okay, here we go. It's been fun but I think I'm done with working on this now.

https://songfight.net/forums/download/file.php?id=1490

Some notes:

- Unfortunately many of the raw tracks had already been heavily processed, making it difficult to get everything out of them that I would have liked to have. That said, at least there were two drum tracks per hit and rebalancing them made it possible to shape the sound a fair bit. I actually ended up using zero EQ on the drums.
- All in all I had to apply very little by way of filters and effects, most things worked out fairly well just from the static mix. I did need EQ on 19_Break2 and 20_Break2 for unmasking and to help 20_Break2 come through the mix better. I also thought the 30-32_Gtr01 family sounded a little iffy taken together and used high shelves and some cuts on them, and I pitched 30_Gtr01a down by an octave and lowpassed it to make this group sound a little fuller.
- I found the final part kind of boring, what with most of tracks 40-47 (Gtr05-07) doing mostly the same things. Unfortunately there wasn't really any way to change this without rearranging the song (which I decided not to do, ahead of time), but I did put a bit of delay on most of Gtr05 and Gtr06 to open it up just a little bit.
- The bass was heavily distorted and though I could make it sound a little bassier and a little less overdrivey, using a bit of EQ, I didn't get all of the low end I wanted out of it and I ended up adding in a copy that was pitched down by an octave, with an aggressive low-pass filter on it.
- To keep the feeling of the starting drum loop going throughout the song, I applied a bit of bitcrushing to one of the other loops.
- I stereoized a few tracks: 18_Break1 and part of 26_SampleSFX6.
- Easily the most puzzling tracks for me were 23_SampleSFX3 ("vacuum cleaner") and 24_SampleSFX4 (bells). I still don't quite get what they're all about. Still, by adding a ton of reverb to 23 I think I made it a little more palatable... and ring modulating and low-passing 24 a bit made it a little more interesting and, simultaneously, less harsh to the ears.
- I did very little on the vocals - a bit of compression, some volume automation during the middle section with the many ambience tracks, and some very subtle octaving to beef them up just a little. Like many other tracks, the raw files were already pre-processed, so I could probably have gotten by without any treatment if I really wanted to.
- Finally, there's a little bit of reverb on pretty much all of the submixes to glue things together. It's fairly subtle overall, though.
Attachments
walkie-talkie.mp3
(4.39 MiB) Downloaded 46 times
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Here's a .rar of all the songs I see in the thread. I took the liberty of changing the main ID3 tags so they'll be easier to see if you import all of the tracks at once.

Format
Name: Detsky Sad
Title: Walkie Talkie <songfighter name> Mix
Album: Songfight Mix Challenge Walkie Talkie
Date: 2020
Genre: Indie Rock

I'm hoping we'll have another one of these between Nur Ein, Spintunes, gift etc., etc., so I figured this album format could work if we do mutiple mix battles or whatever we call them.
Attachments
WalkieTalkieRemix.rar
(24.73 MiB) Downloaded 34 times

starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

i was thinking fondly about remixfight earlier today.. is this thread the last activity on that topic?
we used to remix songfight songs.. anybody up for doing something like that again?
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yes, yes, and yes, respectively.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I would love to do another remixfight. However, my free time has just been reduced drastically for the next year and four months or so. I can still do things but I have to pick and choose. If someone organizes, I'll do my best to participate.

HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

reeeeeemixxxxx
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

Anybody have songfight material they want to use? Any starfinger song is fine (or the latest purdy lips for that matter). Is there a way to use sidefight infrastructure to facilitate this?

-craig