Fun-A-Day and Jamuary 2021

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Fun-A-Day and Jamuary 2021

Post by Lunkhead »

I have yet to figure out how to get a good sound with the vocoder plugin I have. I'm probably doing something wrong. Tonight I was interrupted by a cat puke situation. I'm up a bit later than usual knocking something out, this bit of instrumental electronic stuff.

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I made some bass/guitar/Rhodes instrumental music tonight with some fake shaker and congas for percussion.

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

vowlvom wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:16 am
Not sure how many more I will manage. Feeling a little burned out this week. Weather has been terrible and I haven't been able to go for a walk to get some exercise / clear my head.
That's a bummer, hope you find some new motivation somewhere somehow and get back at it. Just the last 10 days to push through, or I guess for you it's already down to 9 even! :)
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I'm still going. Had to get a very late start tonight so I banged out a live synth jam with my volcas and SH-101. "live synth jam" meaning I use the internal sequencers of the volcas and SH-101 to program one or more parts into them, then set them all playing in synch and tweak the settings and on the volcas switch memory slots. The recording is a live recording of the synths playing back with me tweaking the knobs (mostly the filter frequencies and resonance) on the fly, no editing, no MIDI, etc. I don't think I'd explained that yet this year.

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Tonight I spent some time working on the two Instant Band collaborations I'm working on for the "Better Days" fight. I'm pretty tired so I'm going to just count that as my "working on music" for the day. I'm excited to work with a bunch of folks I've never worked with before, several of whom I don't even know!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Have been struggling for energy and motivation but found myself fancying some synth action tonight so did some mostly improvised, arpeggiator-heavy messing around and ended up with this.

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

That's a fun one. I'm curious what you used, are those soft synths or real drum machine and synth? I like the sounds.

I think I'm just going to chalk up today to working on my two Instant Band projects again. I made a drum track for one of them. I might try to record an acoustic guitar track for the other one. So far we only have a demo that's made from chopped up guitar parts from two people to try out a structure idea.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

Lunkhead wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:09 pm
That's a fun one. I'm curious what you used, are those soft synths or real drum machine and synth? I like the sounds.
It's all soft, I recently did an OS upgrade and reinstalled everything so I'm trying to make sure I know my way around the synths I have installed and don't have a bunch of crap I never use (a familiar trap!)

Drums are e-phonic Drumatic 4, but played with a cheap new midi pad controller that I got this week so with probably a little more humanised velocity than usual.

Synths are Surge (free synth which just got a crazy new update with a gorgeous new skin and a ton of built in FX), Vital (also free and full of very "modern" sounds which is not really my comfort zone, not sure whether or not I'll keep this one installed), VirtualCZ (replacing another instance of Surge that started misbehaving when I fed it too much automation) and two of Plogue's retro emulations.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Cool, I'll check those out, thanks!

Last night I wound up spending 2-3 hours on an Instant Band project, when I intended to just spend 1 hour on it then work on my other one. Oops! I'm counting that as my music for the day again.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I spent my music time on Instant Bands today and yesterday too.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I'm limping to the finish line. I started on a song today but ran out of ideas trying to finish the lyrics. I'm going to try to finish it tomorrow and call it a month.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man

Post by vowlvom »

I've been instabanding for the last week and FAWMing from tomorrow but even if I don't manage a final Jamuary song today, I think this has been my most creative / productive January ever. So that's good!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Tonight I finished the lyrics for the song idea I had yesterday and wrote bridge music and lyrics and got a good start on making a recording that, if I can wrap it up tomorrow, I might submit as a late Lunkhead entry to the "Better Days" fight. I think there are some good bits of this. It's in a 90s/Weezer-ish vein.

And that's a wrap! I'm very happy with how this month went. I've got 2 Lunkhead Song Fight songs, 2 BSS Song Fight songs, 2 instant band Song Fight songs, and several other songs, plus a bunch of instrumental music. Not too shabby! I'm ready for a break though. FAWM sounds like fun but no way can I do Fun-A-Day then FAWM back to back. Have fun though Vom!