Official TOTAL REQUEST COVERFIGHT sign-up Thread

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Ross »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:
Jim of Seattle wrote:So any news on the people who didn't come through? Do we just get left out in the cold?
Jim, I didn't post my list either, maybe for the same reasons you did. Anyway, if you PM me your request that you had for me I'll have a listen and give it a go.
Hey Dan-O,

I am so far song-less as well (officially anyway, I didi receive a gift cover from sp00n), my list is posted, but I listed you for "Elements of Style" which is listed as being by Ross Durand featuring Steve Durand. Just in case you're looking for a project :D
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:First off it's Kris Kringle, not Chris Cringle but maybe that's a joke. And then there's the "E is for Everything" in the spot where the "A" should be, but maybe that's a joke too and I just need to quit finding reasons not to work on this.
OF COURSE THEY'RE JOKES f'r cryin' out loud! But I really appreciate your even considering tackling it just so my stocking isn't empty. You don't need to find a reason not to do it. You just plain old don't have to. You were just being kind after all!
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

jolly roger wrote:
Furrypedro wrote:I think my favourite here so far is between Jolly Roger doing 15-16 puzzle
Thanks! It's nice to know someone liked it. Not sure if 15-16 puzzle has even listened yet.
Yeah, I listened to it. It came out pretty good, even with the parts where you had no idea what I was singing. Thanks, JR.

P.S. I am 15-16 puzzle.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

Jim of Seattle wrote:OF COURSE THEY'RE JOKES f'r cryin' out loud! But I really appreciate your even considering tackling it just so my stocking isn't empty.
Yeah I was just throwing out some dry humor there, maybe we both need to work on our punch lines. I am kind of busy right now, but I have a wierd idea about this now. I may just try a straight up cover if the wierd idea thing doesn't work out. I don't know how long it will take, either way I should have it to you at some point.
rdurand wrote:Hey Dan-O,

I am so far song-less as well (officially anyway, I didi receive a gift cover from sp00n), my list is posted, but I listed you for "Elements of Style" which is listed as being by Ross Durand featuring Steve Durand. Just in case you're looking for a project :D
Hey Ross, this is a song I could probably get done straight up real quick, but as you've seen, I like to mess with people's arrangements. So we'll see which road I choose. I hadn't planned on doing all the covers everyone had listed for me, but this has me re-thinking that plan.

As for everyone else, I'll listen to your requests and take them one by one. Again, don't expect me to be really quick on the draw with these, but I'll do my best to get some of this done as quick as I can.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

Dan-O from Five-O wrote:
Hey Ross, this is a song I could probably get done straight up real quick, but as you've seen, I like to mess with people's arrangements. So we'll see which road I choose.
Thanks for considering it - I look forward to hearing it either way:-)
a bebop a rebop
Push Comes to Shove

Post by a bebop a rebop »

I sent in my PM to Ken a couple of days ago but it doesn't seem to have affected the coverfight webpage yet. Anyway, here's my song, furrypedro: <a href="http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jwl286/jacoblynn_tmk_tfa.mp3">
Jacob Lynn covers Those Meddling Kids' Too Far Away.
</a>

It's a bit of a stylistic re-interpretation, I guess. I hope you like it anyway! (I felt guilty when you reviewed me this week so I skipped a few classes and set down the vocals.)
THIS IS NO JOKE
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

jb wrote:voting is broken, but the songs are up. might as well use ken's page until i get the voting fixed. in the meantime, here's mine:

http://johnorama.com/songs/jb_does_cr_ikmr.mp3

jb
Finally got around to listening to this - nice work JB, thank-you! I like the stripped-back approach. You sound very menacing - you're obviously a pub-brawler from way-back. (I didn't realise the word "carpark" needed translation!)

I like how the rhythm of the chorus starts to sound like The Proclaimers 500 Miles. I'm getting visions of JB and Caravan Ray all hot and sweaty, gappling naked in a cage with Craig and Charlie Reid in a no-holds-barred, fight-to-the-death, tag-team, slam-down (though that may have nothing to do with the song, it's just a recurring fantasy)
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Dude!
at first I thought the intro was sounding like a song PigPen would do but I love the way this builds up. I never considered this a particularly inspired lyric (I much preferred the groove of the original over the lyrical content) but I love the way you use it here as a (metaphorical) bridge between the original and what could be a completely new (and totally cool) song. And I can't believe you skipped classes just for me! I wish my "real" friends did things like that.

Thanks man :) nothing quite makes you grin like a goofy twat than a cool cover.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

My apologies to everyone for my song taking an extra month. I was busy with a new girlfriend and starting a new Parker Street Cinema record. Here is my cover of Andre was here at Midnight's Short Life.

I'll update all the lists now.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Ross
Jump

Post by Ross »

So a previous post says 36 people in (I know some backed out) and there are 24 posted if I count right. Bjam and Lunkhead have kept us updated, any idea how many more are out there Ken?
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

i broke my link by moving stuff around on my site. i broke lots of links actually. anyway, mine is now here: http://johnorama.com/songs/covers/pals/ ... rights.mp3
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

ken wrote:My apologies to everyone for my song taking an extra month. I was busy with a new girlfriend and starting a new Parker Street Cinema record.
Here is my cover of Andre was here at Midnight's Short Life.
I whish my excuse was as half as good as Ken’s, but my cover is still a work progress, and if it comes out as half as good as his cover, I’ll be a happy man. Mine would be in soon.

Seriously Ken, as this man would put it...

<b>Awesome! Freaking Awesome!</b>
thanks.
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

rdurand wrote:So a previous post says 36 people in (I know some backed out) and there are 24 posted if I count right. Bjam and Lunkhead have kept us updated, any idea how many more are out there Ken?
30 participants, 6 covers to go. Most of those are vetern Songfighters, including my own lateness. Coincidence?

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

OK, back in town, back to work, and back to trying to get this cover done...

EDIT: Ken! Great job, your cover rocks.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Speaking of covers, I came across this blog post via completely unrelated means:

http://copycommaright.blogspot.com/2006 ... o-now.html

Check out the 4th link - did you see that, Marcus?
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I think I'm going to post my cover tonight. As a bonus, I may also post a second version that I started recording first, but abandoned for the version I'm hoping to get done tonight.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

OK, finally done! I'm glad to be done and I'm also pleased with how this turned out, and I hope you like it, Marcus Kellis:

Theophilus Monk's "Stairway to the Moon" by Lunkhead

Great song Marcus and thanks to Ken for picking a good one for me.

EDIT: Jim, thanks for the cover of my song, nice work!

EDIT: OK, here's the version where I was trying to rip off the Velvet Underground, but it's not a very good ripoff. Frankly it's kind of goofy and not really that great, but here's a quick mix with some hastily laid down vocals:

Theophilus Monk's "Stairway to the Moon" by Lunkhead in faux Velvet Underground style
erin.
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: kazoo, ukelele, accordion, shakers, tambo, vox.
Recording Method: Cubase, Garageband
Submitting as: Moss Palace,BSS, Merisan,Tiny Robots,Loyalty Day,Bourbon Drops, ...ect

Post by erin. »

Gee Lunkhead, where did you ever find the time to do two covers? Amazing.
Actually, the folky cover sound fantastic. I think it's the most well sung tune of Lunkheads in a while. Great job!
Eeep-opp-orp-opp-opp...that means I love you!
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

True that. I played it for Jennifer last night and she really liked it. I think it is great and appreciate the name check.

Ken

erin.
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: kazoo, ukelele, accordion, shakers, tambo, vox.
Recording Method: Cubase, Garageband
Submitting as: Moss Palace,BSS, Merisan,Tiny Robots,Loyalty Day,Bourbon Drops, ...ect

Post by erin. »

We're on a stairway to the moon "Ken Mahru"...Are you aware of that? Maybe we can take the escalator if you're too tired.
Eeep-opp-orp-opp-opp...that means I love you!
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

sam, this is so great. i'm a big velvet underground fan too; that version had a really kickin' guitar tone and some of the vocal inflections were perfectly velvet underground with the lyrics. lou reed is a big influence on me, def. that beside, and not to be too immodest or anything, but i really feel validated whenever someone pulls a great performance of a song of mine, like whatever my shortcomings as a singer/guitarist/composer/arranger/performer/etc. i do ok when it comes to songwriting (and not to impugn my bandmates either--i do like the original version and their performances on it, but i'm not a gifted producer, i don't have great equipment, and i'm not great at singing.) anyway I'm glad you came through and it was worth the wait. I better try to get my song done here real soon, though finals week begins next Monday.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Dear Veteran Songfighters,

Please spend some time this holiday season FINISHING YOUR COVERFIGHT ENTRY!!!

Thank you.

Ken