Deck the Halls with Tunes- It's the Gift of Music 2006!

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

Heather. Redmon. wrote: Neither of us has ever gotten a gift of music in return.
Ok, this isn't entirely true. Last year Glenn did a cover of Alison - Elvis Costello for the Hell Yeahs. Rachel Layne was our Gifter, but Glenn did it for her... that's the same thing that happened when I couldn't do my song last year and Phil did it for me. Sorry to have forgotten about that.

Thanks to all who have volunteered to step up and cover songs from our list. You don't have to... :wink:
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

Heather. Redmon. wrote:I think a black list might be a good idea.
I'll second this. I've never been burned with GOMs (nor have I burned anyone), but stuff like this is really offensive:
Niveous wrote: Wormsweater- you were just in the It Belongs To Me fight. You had the time to do a song for yourself recently but you left someone else in the lurch. That's low.
I also think that the original GOM system where the participants were matched (i.e. A covers a song for B and B covers a song for A) might make it a little more difficult for a lax coverer.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

i hope i'm not the only one who finds this both DONUTS and funny that a bunch of people used to creating, writing, and recording something in a week can't record a cover of another song in 3 months time.

i mean, excuses are one thing, but seriously! i'm still waiting to read that 3-month viable excuse.

change the name to the the gift of excuses. it's more on point.
Last edited by jack on Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi!
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

I dunno. I find it kinda funny and pathetic that grown ups are getting all uppity about not getting a song. I completely understand where they're coming from, but really? It's a song. It'll probably be a shitty cover anyway. I doubt any of the late gifters are holding out on their coveree out of spite. Crap comes up. The wormsweater thing is rather crappy, but what are you going to do? Send angry e-mails and shake your fist at the sky?

Go ahead, flame away and tell me I'm a terrible person for not giving a song. I explained my situation to my coveree, and no matter how much they steam and spout away, it's not gonna make me finish faster. Personally, getting good grades so I get into a good college is a hell of a lot more important than finishing some song. Just be understanding. I'm sure your coveree isn't trying to piss you off.

There you go. That's what I think. And it's all this petty shit that brings out the awful side of Songfight.

Yeah.
Songfighter since back in the day.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

yeah, i agree bjam, it is funny and DONUTS that people get worked up over something as dumb as this.

but fact is, it sucks if you participate and get nothing back. especially if you've done it 3 times. and 3 months to do a song from someone that can easily do something in a week is a lack of priority, motivation and effort before it's a time management problem.

fact is, it's this BEER that kept me out of this (even though calfborg asked me to help, i wouldn't have touched this otherwise).
Last edited by jack on Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi!
Märk
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, bass
Recording Method: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL, Cubase
Submitting as: ROTR, svenmullet, I forget what else
Pronouns: master

Post by Märk »

I'll try and take a swing at one of the Hell Yeahs' choices too. I feel particularly sympathetic to Phil because I was one of the guys who screwed him on a GoM song (although I did actually finish it, eventually)

That said, at what point do we decide that it's been long enough, and do reviews/vote/etc? The slackers had their week extension, and then some, and I think it's time to move on...
* this is not a disclaimer
Eddiebangs
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Vegas 8, Cubasex3, Delta 1010, Wavelab etc...
Submitting as: Eddiebangs, Big Seed DNA

Post by Eddiebangs »

Marcus, I apologize- I have tried to update the page as soon as people sent their songs in- for some reason I skipped right over yours when it came in - my bad...

As for all the ranting- this is EXACTLY WHY I POSTED THIS ON OCTOBER 8, AT THE BEGINNING OF THE THREAD:
Eddiebangs wrote:I'm in, and I would just like to add this:

If you aren't going to do it DON'T SIGN UP
If you aren't going to do it on time DON'T SIGN UP
If you are going to do a half-ass last-minute job because you were lazy or forgot DON'T SIGN UP
(this is just my personal opinion)

-Eddie
So I hereby declare I will no longer participate in the GOM, and most likely in all of songfight as well. Farewell....
Be my friend
or you suck
Märk
Jump

Post by Märk »

Aww, dude....
Duuuude. Don't do that.
Phil. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Abominominous, The Hell Yeahs, Spy Vs. Pie

Post by Phil. Redmon. »

Shit, I totally meant to PM Bjam back and shit, adnd say that I was already aware of her busy-osity from her lj and stuff, and I'm not all beefed out at her, more at the fact of the matter, y'know, the threepeat. The covers weren't even my picks this year anyway, and junk. I'm kinda surprised at her, uh, comeback? (grown-ups? ouch!)

Eddiebangs wins points for melodrama, fer sure, and I've felt the same way tons of times (recently I've joked that I'm never participating in anything again, like riding the bus or taking communion [not that I do either of those anyway])

Also: I object to "pathetic" and "petty shit." Sniff.

Basically, everybody is totally fucked, and I'm gonna go visit my dad in the hospital.

(and, I will likely participate in GOM next year, because I genuinely love recording.)
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Phil. Redmon. wrote:
i've edited my posts and replaced those expressions with Donuts and Beer.

because i don't want to offend anyone and we all love donuts and beer.

and if anyone is still offended, have a donut. and a beer.

also, eddie and niv, nothing but respect for your efforts.
Hi!
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

jack wrote:
Phil. Redmon. wrote:
i've edited my posts and replaced those expressions with Donuts and Beer.

and if anyone is still offended, have a donut. and a beer.

also, eddie and niv, nothing but respect for your efforts.
Cute! :) I second the thanks and respect to Niveous and Eddie.
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
obscurity
Mean Street
Instruments: Keyboards (88-note and qwerty), guitar, bass & edrums.
Recording Method: Pod X3 Live & Yamaha 01X -> Cubase 5 & Komplete 5
Submitting as: soon as I see a title that inspires me.

Post by obscurity »

jack wrote: i've edited my posts and replaced those expressions with Donuts and Beer.

I am offended because I have no donuts or beer.
jack wrote: and if anyone is still offended, have a donut. and a beer.
Oh, sure, rub it in, you bastard.
obscurity.

"Only the great masters of style ever succeed in being obscure." - Oscar Wilde.
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

Bjam wrote:It's a song. It'll probably be a shitty cover anyway.
Is this trembling finger of accusation pointed at me? Because it should be.
Märk
Jump

Post by Märk »

I hate donuts. That's it, I'm fucking leaving songfight FOREVER.

(I do, however, love beer. And I have some here, too. In fact, I'm drinking one as I type. It's good, obs. Reeeaaalll good. Like golden angel's pussy)

(also, I'm not really leaving.)
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

I'm straight edge and trying to lose weight, so I take great offense to donuts and beer.

Bjam, I know you're busy. I'm on your LJ. I know how you've been racking your brains with all the wonderful stuff that goes on with being 17 and having a future ahead of you. But what it comes down to is that a group of people said they would do something and they didn't. It's not just a "crappy song" (ever heard of a self fulfilling prophecy, Bjam?), it's a gift they screwed someone out of and a pledge they didn't keep.
Last edited by Niveous on Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Märk
Jump

Post by Märk »

Niveous wrote:I'm straight edge and trying to lose weight, so I take great offense to donuts and beer.
I take offense to you being XstraitedgeX.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Actually I can't call myself straight edge anymore. Damn Roast Beef with Merlot sauce. Oh well, I never had enough emo overtones to be pure sXe anyway. :P
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

Bjam wrote:Personally, getting good grades so I get into a good college is a hell of a lot more important than finishing some song.
Fine, but if that's the case why did you sign up in the first place? It's not as if you don't know when you'll have schoolwork. It's not as if you don't know when the GOM deadline is. If you're not certain that you can do it, then it's clearly better to abstain than to disappoint someone.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

A huge thanks to Eddie and Niveous for all their work that goes into GoM, I love doing it and I'm sorry we weren't on time with our cover.

Jb I hope you like this, I was very happy to have the opportunity to take a stab at this particular song

http://www.rubberrobot.net/wreckdom/Wre ... 20dirt.mp3

Furry Pedro, you're version of Telstar is awesome. It has the spirit of everything I dig about the original but totally reinvents it at the same time. I love the nifty sci fi keyboards that come in for the second half. I love the guitar coming in for a big close. Telstar is one of my favorites and I was really hoping to hear someone bring something new and unique to it and you exceeded my expectations! It's a lovely cover I'm very grateful for it. Thanks TMK! Thanks GoM!
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

The last 10 posts have restored my faith in SF.

But I'm leaving after this because of the previous 15 posts, since the last 10 came too late for any true redemptive value to kick in.

I had a fresh donut this morning on the street walking to work. And a fine Negro Modelo at dinner. So I support the whole donut and beer thing. Sorry Obs.

Oh, and I happen to be in recording mode right now.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Egg
Mean Street
Instruments: whistles and egg shakers
Recording Method: Cakewalk, Cubase, Audacity, Garageband
Submitting as: Phunt Your Friends

Post by Egg »

Jim of Seattle,

I am so sorry that this is so late. I am a silly boy. I just keep dropping off the face of the earth and I am very sorry. I chose Shenandoah because no matter how I tugged and prodded it, no matter how sparse or heavy, it would still have the staying power of that classic. I hope you enjoy it. I am so sorry it is late. I am a silly egg.

<a href="http://www.yousendit.com/download/KUAlk ... nandoah</a>
glug glug glug egg makes wine. You can make wine too.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote: Jb I hope you like this, I was very happy to have the opportunity to take a stab at this particular song

http://www.rubberrobot.net/wreckdom/Wre ... 20dirt.mp3
HAHAHAAHAHA that's great! It's like a nightmare ride with The Hitcher. DON'T TURN AROUND. KEEP YOU HANDS ON THE WHEEL. DON'T SAY NOTHIN'. THIS SHIT'S FOR REAL. Then he's all mumbling to himself about feeling it in his sex and stuff, while the passenger is scared out of his wits.

Love it.

Pat, I am your santa, but your song won't be coming 'til next week. Profound apologies. Everybody else, geez, what's with the stressing. This is how sidefight things go. Why is it surprising this far into history? Some people will be on time, others late, others won't come through at all.

Here's my philosophy on gifts, and it's just how I feel about them going in the direction of me to receiver: It's a gift. I expect nothing in return. You don't have to even acknowledge it. Understanding that, I know that others expect reciprocation. I had a long-term girlfriend who basically weighed gifts according to appropriateness and required reciprocation, and was very upset when that balance wasn't kept. So, I know where you're coming from even though I don't share those feelings.

[on second thought, bitchy nonsense thought better of and removed, sorry guys, just lighten up already wouldya]

Ok, my breakfast is gone, trouble has been stirred on the Internet, time to head to the office. I should just move my bed there, these days.

JB
Last edited by jb on Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy