How that Austin SF! live DVD is going

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Or you can send it via USPS Media Mail which is dirt-cheap.
bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

Post by bortwein »

MalachiConstant wrote:
By the way, does anyone do a good "movie trailer" voice? I want to put together a trailer for it, but I need an announcer.
A movie Trailer sounds cool. I'd say MC Frontalot would sound really cool on something like that, if you could grab his attention to do it.
b o r t w e i n...it rhymes with Design. / bortwein Music SongFight! Archive
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

fluffy wrote:Or you can send it via USPS Media Mail which is dirt-cheap.
MalachiConstant wrote:If you want to drive down to Houston to pick them up yourself, be my guest, but if this page (http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail ... iamail.htm) is correct it will cost less than $1.50 to ship it
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
MalachiConstant
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by MalachiConstant »

tviyh wrote:shipping would probably be cheaper if you were just sending DVDs and inserts, and if everybody got their own empty cases. that is, for people who would be interested in this option. just sayin'.
This may be true, it's hard to find a postal employee who know what they're talking about. But if it is true I doubt the difference would be greater than $2.70 which is the cost of 2 4-disc cases. Besides, I'd feel a little uneasy shipping them without any kind of case at all.
bortwein wrote:A movie Trailer sounds cool. I'd say MC Frontalot would sound really cool on something like that, if you could grab his attention to do it.
I never thought about that, but that would rock. I'll see if he's interested.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

MalachiConstant wrote:it's hard to find a postal employee who know what they're talking about.
ok i'll shut up, then.

anyway i wouldn't really be interested in having them sent to me without cases anyway, i was just saying that without the added weight of cases (which for so few discs would probably be not very significant anyway) the shipping charge might be slightly lower. like, if somebody was really really a cheapskate.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

mkilly wrote:
fluffy wrote:Or you can send it via USPS Media Mail which is dirt-cheap.
MalachiConstant wrote:If you want to drive down to Houston to pick them up yourself, be my guest, but if this page (http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail ... iamail.htm) is correct it will cost less than $1.50 to ship it
Yeah, like I can be expected to remember what was said a whole page earlier? ;)
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GlennCase »

MalachiConstant wrote: By the way, does anyone do a good "movie trailer" voice? I want to put together a trailer for it, but I need an announcer.
In a pinch, if you are unable to get anyone else, I could probably pull that voice off.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I could give the "movie trailer voice" thing a go, too. I honestly would like to crack into that biz some day some how...
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I could too, but it'd sound suspiciously like Goatfucker.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

GlennCase wrote:if you are unable to get anyone else, I could probably pull that voice off.
when i read "movie trailer voiceover" my first reaction was "glenn case".

or possibly spud.
MalachiConstant
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Okay, another update. The first 7 discs are burned, as in totally-finished-the-version-you-will-see burned. Duplication will be relatively quick due to my access to a duplication machine.

When testing the DVD labels I discovered they might render the DVDs unreadable sometimes, so to avoid shipping non-functioning DVDs the only label will be in the center of the disc (i.e. tiny labels in the center, clear part of the disc). This makes them look a bit more amateurish, but that's better than DVDs that don't work. That will also reduce the cost of the deulxe set a bit.

The afterparty footage is 99% finished, I just need to add a couple of cutaways. It comes out to almost 30 minutes. It moves quick, and I think songfighters will like it a lot. Thanks to Gleen again for taping all that stuff.

I've watched all 7 discs as a final QC and it all looks good.

All that's left is editing the trailer, permission for one of the little extras, and the inserts being printed before I can start taking orders.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

cough
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Need some Robitussin, Marcus?
MalachiConstant
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

mkilly wrote:cough
Yeah, yeah, I know. Everything is edited. All the masters were burned but I ran into problems when I tried some test duplications. My best guess is that the DVD media I used was too cheap. Or perhaps there's some kind of compatibility problem between the iDVD burned discs and the duplicator.

So what I need to do is buy some better discs, then copy all the edited video (about 80 Gigs worth) back to the harddrive, reburn the discs and test them with the duplicator. This means many hours of watching progress bars which I'm not looking forward to.

It's a good thing I backed up all the completed video at least.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

Hey Malachi,

I hope you are not waiting on any footage from me for this project, but if you are, let me know... because I am a slackass!

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
http://glenncase.songhole.org
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Yeah. He is.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man

Post by GlennCase »

See? Spud knows.

Sadly.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
http://glenncase.songhole.org
MalachiConstant
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Yeah, glenn, geez! I've been waiting for you this whole time you slacker!

The real reason is this. All the masters are burned and play just fine. The problem is that the DVD duplicator I use (for some reason) refuses to burn DVDs that are longer than about 30 minutes, therefore it's impossible to for me to duplicate them. I can't tie up the work computer burning them one at a time, and my home computer can't burn DVDs.

If I had a little money in the bank I could afford to pay someone to do it but, alas, I don't.

So either a) everyone has to wait until I can afford it (if the gods are on my side that will be this year some time) or b) if anyone here can duplicate them I can send them the masters.

If anyone has any other ideas I'd be happy to hear them.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

My PC has a DVD burner in it, and I've got some Nero software on there. I think I could probably make copies.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I have iDVD and a SuperDrive, and basically no free time.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

I have a DVD burner, free time, and a stack of DVD-Rs. I also feel competent to do this sort of thing. Unless Mr. T would rather I'll volunteer to tackle this; I guess re fiduciary issues I'll figure out how much paper CD sleeves, blank DVD-Rs, and shipping (postage & mailers) run and ask people donate that much to me and if they're able to tip more to reimburse shipping from you to me or for your work on the things then there'll be that too.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Oh hey, how about <a href="http://mixonic.com/">Mixonic</a>? They do short-run DVDs now.