Rolf is a Nazi: A SongFight Tribute

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

That's all right, two parties whose names shall remain unmentioned have already said they're not going to make it. Mos' def' by St. Patrick's Day, though. In fact if it's anything past March 6 I'm going to call in some favors with my mercenary buddies.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Ours is completed, and will be in on time, as soon as I get to a connection where it doesn't take a half an hour to upload it.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

You have mine already, right, MK?
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

Yes, cashpoint.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Good.

:)
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

tap.....tap......tap.....
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

OK, SORRY EVERYONE!!

I'm in now. It's not at all what I'd envisioned, but it's done. And I had to forego using Madi because I needed to finish the damn thing TONIGHT, and she was in bed.

Again, apologies.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

Ken: your song is teh awesome.

all of you guys songs are pretty awesome. but Ken's is teh awesome.
Hi!
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

<Seinfeld>The hills are alive with the sound of music</Seinfeld>

I just starting listening to this and already it's awesome....and I HATE "the Sound of Music".
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Damn. I thought this thread was about Rolf the Walker, the Viking so big no horse could hold him.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Spud
Hot for Teacher

Post by Spud »

<a href="http://www.mightyoctothorpe.com/som.m3u">here's a stream</a>

I will update it if new songs come in, or you know, marcus might do something similar. Who knows?
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

I like Erik's song.

Good job all.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Edge of LA
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Edge of LA »

You guys have totally made my day! Really really reaaaaaaaaaaaaally want to hear Glenn's and Frankie's songs.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Interesting...

I haven't listened to all of them, but Octothorpe and White Hat, I absolutely love them until the singers come on. Then the track is ruined.

White Hat, it's like you're trying too hard to sound pretty (Bjam, I thought the same of you), and it's just no good. But damn if that intro isn't absolutely gorgeous. Octothorpe, your singer sounds like freakin' Shatner. But till he came on, I was thinking "Wow, this is really cool. I'm keeping this."
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

c hack wrote:just plain crazy talk
My opinion is the antithesis of c Hack's. I think White Hat & Bjam did awesome jobs and I love the # spin on their song. No one can beat 15-16's "Maria" though.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

My mum’s a very big fan of Sound of Music, and she’s been commenting when I’ve been playing, so I figured I’d just make her help me review them. Geeky confession: When I was 11 my Mum, my granny, and my aunt, and I went to sing-a-long-a-Sound-of-Music. I dressed up as ‘Ray, a drop of golden sun’. There are no photos, thankfully. Anyway! What we thought of each song

Octothorpe - The Sound of Music
I liked it. It sounded very zombie-movie-from-the-70s. Which isn’t too far from what it was. But ti reminded me a lot of the Moulin Rouge version.
Mum liked it, but thought it was a little too slow and downbeat for the song.

15-16 Puzzle - Maria
I heart this song muchly. Mum ‘really likes’ this one. So woo. Not much too say other than we both love this one. The laugh scares me to death though. And I think mum has a crush on you, "Wicked laugh" "Good voice" "Very good"

Glenn Case - I Have Confidence
Slacker.

Frankie Big Face - Sixteen Going On Seventeen
Slacker.

BJAM - My Favorite Things
Eh. It's not too bad. Big yay for my dad for putting up with me and helping me put it together.

Jim of Seattle - Climb Ev'ry Mountain
I love this one muchly. I like the break-aparty-ness and the jazziness. Mum was a little bewildered as to whether or not to love it or not, but apparently you added a line or something, and that pissed her off. I dunno. But I love it.

High Density - The Lonely Goatherd
A little floaty for me, but still pretty good. Her voice is very purdy. Bleeps are pretty funky. Mum thinks it’s a little slow.

Ken and the New Incredibles - Do Re Mi
Mum thought the introduction to this was a Robbie Williams song, so I guess your production must be pretty good. She also ‘pogo’ed to it at one point- damn kids and their dancing. :) I like this though. It’s fun and different enough from the real song, but still the same feel. You’ve got a good voice on you.

The White Hat - Edelweiss
I liked it. Pretty guitar makes me happy. The little twingley mandolin type object was VERY nice.
Mum wasn’t too keen on your vocals, but she hasn’t heard some of the vocal talent on Songfight, so I think you did a pretty good job for the song. We’re both loving the twingley mandolin-like instrument, especially the instrumental part of the song.

Johnny Cashpoint - So Long, Farewell
Heh, you can tell my mum doesn’t listen to Songfight, “Is it meant to sound like that?” I like it though, a little slow, but the original song is pretty slow.

So yeah. Veeeeeeery good songs. Yay us!
Songfighter since back in the day.
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case
Pronouns: he/him

Post by GlennCase »

Sorry I didn't get this done on time. I do believe it is the first songfight related deadline I have missed.

I think seeing the page up is motivating me to put this back on the front burner. I haven't been recording anything recently because I have been uninspired, and I've been concentrating on getting my music room to a point where I can walk around in it (We have outgrown our apartment).

I can't promise 'when', but I should be able to finish the song soon, and maybe I'll throw together an album-a-day as part of an apology for missing this deadline.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

My reviews. Written as I listen....

Octothorpe - Heh heh cool - intro is a little long but for the first song on the 'album' it's forgiveable. Love the synth stabs that come in about 1.35. Smooth operatic lady vocals make Mad Dog sound like a UN Translator for the State of Octothorpia this time round... me like. Roll on your insurance money so you can get going again ....

15-16 Puzzle - I'm a philistine but I'd love to hear a funky little white rhythym section kicking in behind this ... the multi-partedness of the original suits your style though. I like. The vocal breakdown at 2.00 is my favourite part.

Bjam - I don't mean to be rude, but are you affecting a lisp, or do you really have one? I haven't noticed it on any of your other stuff .. either way, it really sounds cool here, makes up the 'puppies wrapped in toilet roll' aspect of the original and leaves the really nice torch song elements of the music to shine through. The mix is really sweet too. Nice work all around. A little too much midi towards the end but that's understandable (unless you have a cocktail band locked in your cupboard or something)

Jim of Seattle - I don't really know how to review this - here goes - love the first twenty seconds - the next 15 the doobie-doos are too loud - 45-52 is a bit octothorpe - love the next section - the next bit sounds a bit too like the Frasier theme tune, the breakdown is cute but I don't like the patch, next bit 'retarded cocktail singer' is great. Exhausting and entertaining. Can't be sure if I like it or not but I took great pleasure in writing this review, if that's any indication.

High Density - Moboid sounds great here. This reminds me of a dub remix of St. Etienne. The sparseness when she's not singing is good, but I'd like to hear some little nugget buried deep in the mix there. Oh no I take that back, at 1.35ish that's great ... trippy goodness. mad but good ending. That's the best part of the whole thing!

Ken et al - what a hard song to do (in that it is so expressively unique - trying to do it makes one sound like aband covering 'do re mi' in my opinion) havign said that the Weezer approach works well. i love the female voice here. Your voices harmonize really well. You probably know this all ready. In need of a ridiculously overblown guitar solo in my opinion but otherwise hot stuff (in more ways than one :) )

White Hat - lovely guitar. Oh I could listen to that over and over all day. I disagree with hack about your voice - I love the gentleness and the slight anxiousness in your voice, makes the song more fragile and enjoyable ... there's a neil young / nu country feel to this I love but that lead guitar is way too loud. Actually make me jump in my seat when it came in. Owww! That's a shame! Turn that down and you have a gentle but powerful version of the song for your live repertoire!

Me - yes, Bjam's mom, it's meant to sound like that. I like mutant white boy dub reggae ... someone has to! (ps bjam this is recorded at the same tempo as the original - I synched it up and everything. Sang along to the track as well, then played aorund ... )

Good stuff. Good, good stuff. And me.
Last edited by j$ on Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Bjam wrote:15-16 Puzzle - Maria
Mum ‘really likes’ this one.
Best. Review. Evar.

DUHN DUHN DUUUUUUHHHHHN
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

j$ wrote: Bjam - I don't mean to be rude, but are you affecting a lisp, or do you really have one?
Nope, no lisp. Have a very 'proper' English accent, but I tried to make it kinda cheesy cause it's a kinda cheesy song, so maybe that made it lisplike. *shrug*
Songfighter since back in the day.
A Bootleg
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, bass, fiddle
Recording Method: Tascam DR-40 and a fast food attitude
Submitting as: often as Halley's Comet.
Pronouns: He/they

Post by A Bootleg »

# - I never thought that 90s synth modules could sound so good. Nice ladyvocals, and, as a staunch ally of the UN, I second the UN Translator comment.

15-16 - OH SO GOOD I KEEP! Rhythm guitar nice and smooth. Lead guitar nice and love ballady. I save this to hard drive. I cast fake ballot for song.

BJAM- neat midi accompaniment. I like the orchestration, though as a guitarist I have to say that I'd have preferred the guitar. Plus good vocals, though watch your clipping. Unless I imagined that. As a side note, this wasn't the sound of music sing-along at the prince music theater, was it? I think I went to it, too. I didn't dress up, but I wanted to go as either a yodel (by carrying a box of the confection) or as a bad habit (by wearing a poor excuse for a nun's headdress).

JoS - Hilarious. Absolutely beautiful. Jazz breakdown priceless. Reminds me of a cross between Atom and his Package and The Beatles' You Know My Name

High Density - So pretty with the voice and the echos. This was my least favorite song in the movie. You have made it into the top three of this fight.

Ken & NI - I dig this. Duet is cool. Very well put-together.

Meself: Yeah, the mandos' too loud. Yeah, my voice is a bit bad. I tried for the anxious thing to stay true to the film- you know, impending nazis. The guitar's slightly out of tune, too. Those were my only real issues with the song, other than my inability to get a female vocalist on time.

J$ - Very dublike. Reminds me of a "screw tape" someone played for me once. I'm too white for my own good.
My other music is Old Time / shape note.