Hxaro del Stinko

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
The Secret-Hxaro Santa
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Hxaro del Stinko

Post by The Secret-Hxaro Santa »

Hello Paco,

You've been very good this year, even winning Song Fight! To honor you and all you've accomplished, your friends recorded their own versions of some of your songs. Enjoy!!!

Berkeley Social Scene - Whale
The Brainpipe Family Singers - Onomatopoeia
Caravan Ray - Convalescence
Jim Tyrrell - Late for Babies
Jon Eric - Gary
prayformojo and his Good Time Funs Band- Stairway to the Moon
Ross Durand - Outside Paradise
sockpuppet - Sometimes It's Hard To Keep Yourself Moving

Warmest Regards,
The Secret-Hxaro Santa
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Hxaro del Stinko

Post by JonPorobil »

My cover of "Gary" features the inimitable Jan Krüger! Thanks Jan!

Paco, do I have your permission to post the original? It doesn't seem to be online anywhere.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

GUYS! What the hell? I am knocked out and can not believe this!! Unreal. I just can't fathom that you'd do this for me and am BLOWN AWAY! It must be a plot to get rid of me somehow! :)

I get all awkward feeling receiving gifts, and now feel a sense of indebtedness to you all, but I will eat this up and love it. Thank you so very much. thank you one and all, thank you!!! Absolutely the nuts, man!

Jon, you may certainly do what you like with "Gary", I'm sure nobody'll run off with it. But guys, if I wasn't clear before. I am beyond psyched!!!

Trying in vain to return the love, you guys are the best! - Paco (the happiest guy alive right now) del Stinko
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Since it's not posted anywhere else, I uploaded the original of Paco's "Gary" to this link.

Listening to the rest of the songs now. Great stuff, everyone!

We love you, Paco!

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

I love you too. All of yas. I just listened to the songs and while I am admittedly still aglow, I can honestly say that they are improvements over the originals. I'm not beating myself up here, but I know I have limitations on things I try and do, and you all managed to take my ideas and run with them. Bravo. I am humbled and moved. I laughed, was chilled, and smiled throughout.

I'll cook these to disc and crank them on my ride to work tomorrow after listening again, and I'll post up some thoughts by the weekend. One thing I'd like to mention, though. Am I right that Niveous thought this up? He's always been an honest critic of mine, and one of the guys I go "Yeah!" when he doesn't slam a song of mine too badly. Anyway, I know that he liked my "Convalescence" song as it contains themes that he identified with. Hearing Caravan Ray's genuinely chilling version made me think of Niv and the trying times he's going through, so I just want to give him a big thanks and extra positive vibe sent in his direction. Know that we're thinking of you.

Thanks again, all, I am floored.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

yes, that was the idea of niveous, and a good one at that. may he have better times coming soon.
also, you're welcome!
looking forward to hearing the other songs myself.
-bill

edit: my 4000th post, do i need to get a life or what :)
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

paco, you've done so many spontaneous covers of other people, i think you deserve this
(i'm 1/2 of brainpipe, if that's not clear)

-craig
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs

Post by The Weakest Suit »

i wish this one wasn't invite only. i would have liked to participate.
congrats paco.
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

You can cover someone at any time for any reason, so go for it. :D
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

The Weakest Suit wrote:i wish this one wasn't invite only. i would have liked to participate.
congrats paco.
Then do it! I'm sure Santa will appreciate and post late entries. And I'm sure Paco will love it, as well. :D

prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Melodica, Misc. Noisemakers, Etc.
Recording Method: 2 old bean cans and a piece of string
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

Just thought I'd warn you guys... 2 pfm songs in a year is a sign of the end of days.

I love me some cover songs! Thanks for talking me back into the fold, Ken!

Glad you dig the tunes, Senior Stinko!
White people, is you funky?
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

prayformojo wrote:Just thought I'd warn you guys... 2 pfm songs in a year is a sign of the end of days.

I love me some cover songs! Thanks for talking me back into the fold, Ken!

Glad you dig the tunes, Senior Stinko!
Q: If two prayformojo songs in one year is the end of days, what would three in one year be?

A: FREAKING AWESOME.

It's good to have you back, pfm.

Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Still basking here, people! Be cranking it up on the highway in a few minutes.

Bill - You have plenty of life. Lil Baby Bill says so. :)

Craig - One of my favorite SF! voices, how could I not know? Great work, and improvement on the original. Love the crackup at the end too!

Jon - Hell yeah, I'd love a Tweakest cover! I might bust with glee, though. But...

Tweakest - Thanks, and would've loved it. No pressure, but I have open arms.

PFM - Glad to meet the end of days with the magic you conjured there. Incredible, and I am honored. But Jon is right, three songs = FREAKING AWESOME.

Rone - You too, are correct sir. Hop off yer trampoline and spew out a Melvin cover. You can do a Paco for a warm up!
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Congrats Paco! I hope you enjoy our fairly literal interpretation of Whale.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Paco Del Stinko wrote: Craig - One of my favorite SF! voices, how could I not know? Great work, and improvement on the original. Love the crackup at the end too!
fyi - brainpipe is me and craig, in case you didn't know. the brainpipe family singers is a supergroup that also includes craig's wife and two kids and my wife and young sir (yes, even at 3 months old he sings - that is him at 1:35). i "sang" the "doo-wop" section.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Thanks, Ken, I LOVE it! You guys blew the whale right out of the water!

Bill - I knew it was you, and tonight figured it must be Craig's fam on there. Great work, guys. When I first saw the Family tag, I thought maybe J$ was in on it, but am in no way disappointed. Ha! No slight to the magnificent J$, by the way! :)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

yeah, sorry Paco, you will be getting a little addition to this fine list at some point in the not-too-distant; work and play conspired and I just haven't had any time to crack on with the cover I started. But I will!
signboy
Mean Street
Instruments: things that make noise
Recording Method: lots of stuff plugged into lots of other stuff

Post by signboy »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:Hop off yer trampoline and spew out a Melvin cover. You can do a Paco for a warm up!
:D
Irwin: I'd sell my soul to jesus to program drums like signboy.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

J$ - No need to apologize, my good sir. Just commenting that I had initially thought that you were part of the gang. :)
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Hxaro del Stinko

Berkely Social Scene - Whale - Now, I know that Glennny is a fan of this song, so I'm sure he put the squeeze on you guys to do this. But wow, what a great bit of togetherness it ended up as. I have no idea how the first half is assembled, but love the almost percolating percussion of it, all mando'd out and sounding like a sitar. I almost thought that was my voice spliced in at the start, and know it's Glennny when it goes higher, still him down low? The rock part is great, showing how the drums should be played, and I love the lead trade offs, not being able to pick a fave of the bunch. Pacific coast whale showing me how it's done.

Brainpipe Family Singers
- Onomatopoeia - Originally, this is one of my least favorite songs, but you guys improved it to no end. Running with the goofiness, and the synth stuff taken to higher levels, Craig's voice is perfect to add cool to my dorkitude. Bill's is just right for the bridge and the doo-doo, while sounding like a guy doing house chores, is too cool. At first I thought the supporting vocals were Craig all sped up, but I am even more psyched that he got his family in there. Any other song of mine and I might have been frightened for them. But the synth work functions on so many levels, improving on the original in tone, timbre, and melodic/harmonic structure. Great work guys, and I love the crack-up at the end, glad you left it in.

Caravan Ray - Convalescence - Man, so dark. I mentioned already that I found this chilling on first listen, and still after many more. Great deconstruction, loosening up my typical rigid format, and taking this to a more psychic level. I got some criticism on the boards for the storm and feeling better lines, but I think they work well here, inside some poor souls head as he tries to convince himself he's doing, or will be doing, OK. This version feels like the rains are stil to come and despite the darkness, things probably will be better. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but there ya go. Great work John, I mean it as a compliment when I say that I wouldn't recognize this tune right off tha bat as something that I had originally written. It's got your stamp all over it, and that's a wonderful thing. Thanks.

Jim Tyrrell - Late For Babies - When I first did this, a couple of years ago now, I thought it was kind of cute, and a half decent near joke tune. But here you made it into a real song with it's graceful pace, sweet vocals by a real singer, and wonderful instrumentation. I write with a crayon in my fist. This is closer to a quill pen, just not all stuffy and foo-foo with extended pinky. I think you must have re-written the chords, because I'm sure I couldn't have done ones that nice. The tinkling key solo is great, a darkly humorous lullaby. I imagine some folks at the pubs you perform in would love this, some might run you out of the place with a broken bottle. No matter, this is absolutely great, and I can't believe that I had anything to do with it, as it's too good.

Jon Eric f/ Jan Krueger - Gary -While the original had a cow-punk feel, hopefully, this is from the parlor and spilling out onto the front porch. I can't believe it's under three minutes, as so much happens in that time and it takes you to so many places. The Ramones lead-in is classic and the good time strum-along feel is irresistible. I love all of the solos and am duly impressed by your keyboard skills. The lead vocal captivates and you make it sound like you were having fun, even if you weren't. I hear some South in there, especially in the accordian solo, and that's great. It's all stepped up a notch when a hay-wagon full of overall wearing Germans show up to harmonize at the end. Jan's lead is great, I love the flatted sounding note in the melody, and his signature backing voices are delicious. Sounds like a big, slightly weird family having a party. Just don't invite Gary.

Prayformojo
- Stairway to the Moon - You made this song great. The lyrics are a bit cheesy, but you give such a good feel I don't hear them that way here. Nice. The instrumentation is sweet, and the gentle build by the end is a nice touch, versus a slamming door approach I would probably employ. But the vocal work is fantastic, both the lead and the supporting tracks, especially the moo-ooo-oon voice, and those higher harmonies that come in, they are warm and dreamy. The bridge is effective, with the sadder vocal lines nudging past the hooky and brighter music, it sets up the ending nicely. While the modulation took some slams on the review boards, and I very rarely attempt, I think it's a perfect fit here and is tasteful and smooth. The gentle ending sets it delicately into place, and bids you goodnight. Thank you sir, I am honored and impressed.

Ross Durand - Outside Paradise - Unreal. I would swear that you could have written this, it fits right into your Dylan-esque commentary so well. I absolutely love the guy and guitar here, I would never have even considered trying it this way, but it feels as though it was born like this. While a brief arrangement, you've allowed to breathe, yet it's all the heavier despite its woody and organic tone. It makes you listen. While maybe not intentional, maybe, I love the lesson in vocal PHRASING that you give me here. Ha ha! Dramatic, and no where near hammy. After countless listens I am still not sure if I'm hearing one or more guitars. Doesn't matter, as your acoustic tone is probably my favorite around here. One, ten, I'll take them all. Great work Ross in both performance and lesson giving. I am grateful and appreciative.

Sockpuppet
- Sometimes It's Hard To Keep Yourself Moving - This is the dance song I wish I had written. No stock disco beat for you, thankfully, as I had tossed in there. The modern pulse and throb here is perfect. Ribbons of color stream out of this as it evolves through a tastefully arranged smorgasbord of textures and rubbery crotch busting synth tones. I totally dig the over-processed vocals here as well, they are a perfect fit and don't come close to annoying as they might elsewhere. I would have loved your 'regular' voice just as much, but am very excited and delighted by Mr. Electrofluff. This is fun and danceable and while it sticks to the verse/chorus/etc. arrangement pretty closely, it is totally new and a million miles away from what I could ever conjure up. That's good. I love it and thank you very much.

Well, I learned a lot here. I know I I'm not a good singer, and don't pretend to be. I use my voice because it keeps the same pace and schedule as I do. But all of you showed me how it's done. I feel like I've come a long way in many areas during my three and a half years at Songfight!, but you all patiently showed me how it's done right. Taking my work and grading my papers, so to speak. It may take another three and a half years to come half as close to you all on so many levels, but I'm willing to try. If you're all willing to keep me aboard. And remain patient! Thanks a ton, again, I love the love. And although it will take me a while, consider yourselves warned/threatened/promised: my insecurities about accepting gifts demand that I repay you all. Bwa-ha-ha-ha! :) - Love, Paco
Billy's Little Trip
Odie
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums, Skin Flute
Recording Method: analog to digital via Presonus FireBox, Cubase and a porn machine
Submitting as: Billy's Little Trip, Billy and the Psychotics

Post by Billy's Little Trip »

I can't believe I missed the opportunity to give tribute to one of my favorite musicians in the history of the world the universe! Congrats, Charlie. And mark my words, I'm going to try to give tribute to you sometime soon in the future! *hetero hug* Image

The songs are GREAT guys!
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Hi - got 'em, all the links still work! Thanks!
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs