Hmmm, I know the whole voting thing will take place on coverfight but I thought you might alll like some reviews. As it happens I like them all, so they pretty much say the same thing.
I didn't review the JoS selections - but as documented at the time, Madi's 'Martians' got my vote for inclusion so I'd probably use that one if I was asked.
- Yes. Excellent oompah. Accordian is always a good thing and this is great. I love your 'feelgood hits' because they're totally toe-tapping while retaining just enough good oddness to make me wish I could have heard Octothorpe as a kid rather than the stuff I did listen to. I probably would be the same nutjob but I could have at least got there quicker
I'm not sure the accordian needs to be louder, given it's playing the same riffs but the vocals wouldn't hurt to be turned up.
- I like this a lot and it's surprisingly skate-punk-pop in tone, so it makes a nice contrast to the other stuff. At first I wasn't sure the verses were catchy enough but that chorus totally wins me over. 'Shopping list' lyrics usually turn me off, but for kids it's a good-un. Nice.
(foodfight one) - Love the aussie chanting at the beginning. Cute bassline could be a little louder, perhaps. Love the breakdown chorus from 0:40. It has a little feel of an E-Z listening version of some lost Devo song, which is a good thing.
- hey, that's great! Is turd too rude a word for kids? Over here (UK) it's gone from being almost jokey to being quite a mean nasty word again. Anyhoo, good tune, like Simon & Garfunkel with a sense of humour!
- Cool sproingy snyth sound. That chorus is genius. I like the fact that they don't all line up - it has such a an energy. Made me think of the Monkies. What more can I say - that's reccommendation enough in my book!
- Nice castinets (?) Great overall sound. A slightly wistful tone to music and lyrics which is nice, because that's a whole genre of kids' music (as i remember it) that doesn't seem to have been touched upon anywhere else. Had me involuntarily tapping my toe, which is a good thing, right?
I think my favourite (the one I'd vote for) was either Jack Shite
, but everything above this line should be included on the CD, along with Madi's 'Martians' and Bill's 'Attack of the Zombie Kittens' only maybe under a different name?
If I've missed your song, let me know and I'll review it
. If anyone's not above, it's simply because I'm no good at spotting links in a mass of posts, not because I hate yr song or anything
Lester Bangs is still dead.