The Song Fight Vote History Widget

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

The Song Fight Vote History Widget

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Have you ever wondered:

Who received the most votes in 2006?
Who has submitted the most songs without receiving a single vote?
Did Octothorpe ever receive more than 25% of the votes from an entry in 2005?

Now you can answer these questions and more!

Check it out!

Jim of Seattle's Song Fight Vote History Widget

A few notes:

Hovering over marks will show info for that song, and there's a link in the tooltip to play it. However, you may actually just get redirected to the fight page instead. I'm working on getting direct-link permission.
Because this is about vote history mostly, I'm filtering out all fights before the vote totals were recorded, but sometimes you might see them showing up anyway.
The Artist Name filter does not behave exactly as in most websites. You have to hit Enter, and to clear the filter, you have to erase the text and hit Enter. I could get crazy to make that more standard, but it's some work.
There is another tab along the top called Other Stuff, it's just charts I played with that I want to keep but aren't that cool.

Let me know what you think or if something isn't working right.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Re: The Song Fight Vote History Widget

Post by glennny »

That's very cool!
What does "Enough Entries" mean? seems to always be zero.
Thanks for doing that, I especially enjoy the number of votes in 2013 ;)
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

This is super awesome! I am really happy to see something like this come about, thanks Jim, great work.

Oh, one other minor thing about the data, you may want to filter out fights with <2 votes, because there were a couple instances where the actual vote tallies were lost but the fightmasters remembered who won, so they set all the votes to 0 for the losers and 1 for the winners.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Lunkhead wrote:This is super awesome! I am really happy to see something like this come about, thanks Jim, great work.

Oh, one other minor thing about the data, you may want to filter out fights with <2 votes, because there were a couple instances where the actual vote tallies were lost but the fightmasters remembered who won, so they set all the votes to 0 for the losers and 1 for the winners.
I thought of doing that, but they were anomalous, and therefore interesting in that regard! However, on further consideration, you're right, it throws off the numbers for the participants in those fights.
glennny wrote:That's very cool!
What does "Enough Entries" mean? seems to always be zero.
Thanks for doing that, I especially enjoy the number of votes in 2013 ;)
Enough Entries, oops! Nice catch. I'll remove that as well. Tomorrow for both of these. I agree, it's fun to adjust the knobs and filters until it looks like you alone are the awesomest songfighter of all time.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
kaz
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Non-bowed strings, piano, vox
Recording Method: ProTools10 / M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Submitting as: Tuners Union

Post by kaz »

Dang Jim this is awesome! Great work. Out of curiosity, how do you get this data?
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

kaz wrote:Dang Jim this is awesome! Great work. Out of curiosity, how do you get this data?
The data is courtesy Lunkhead, who collects it for the SF Jukebox. The visualization comes from Tableau, where I work now, so building this thing was actually part of my actual JOB. (Sort of... I'm training and am using SF data.)
AJOwens
Panama
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

Very cool!
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Fascinating facts from the Song Fight Vote History Widget.

* Paco del Stinko has the most entries in SF history at 148. He has won 4 times, but it took him over 70 entries and 3 years to win his first.
* Least successful Songfighter? Depends on how you look at it. Cases could be made for:
- The Weakest Suit - 8th most prolific Songfighter ever with 101 entries. Songs average 3.84 votes each. One win however, (though that was a tie).
- Andre Was Here at Midnight - 35 entries spanning five years, averaging 1.31 votes per entry. Most votes for a single song: 6
- Wages - 54 entries spanning 7 years, average of 1.50 votes per entry, most votes ever received: 7
- Rone Rivendale - 5 year SF career, 45 entries, avg 1.82 votes per song, received 6 votes twice

(NOTE: This is not an indictment of these good folks, rather I am holding them up as inspirational examples of songfighters who keep at it despite their repeated poor reception. Good on ya!)

* Most votes received by a song that did not win: John Benjamin Band, What We Need More Of Is Science, 62 votes, second place, August 18, 2003

* Notable one-hit wonders (excluding obvious instances of regular SFers simply using a different name that week, and suspected friend floods)
- Dr Spectacular's Power Circus - January 28, 2006, received a whopping 52 votes for Adonai
- Ajl Anderson, Dec 1, 2010, 37 votes and the win for Look at the Sky (a few weeks later returned as Ajl and Andrew)
- Bock got 33 votes and the win for his lone entry, Cellar Door, June 14, 2004
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Depends on your definition of 'fascinating' and also your concept of 'successful'. But I would say that, right?
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

That's why I said "Depends how you look at it". By one definition, Andre is the least successful. But he's certainly received more votes than, say, Russell Okung, left tackle for the Seattle Seahawks. (And Okung's been injured the last few weeks, so it's not like he hasn't had time to enter a few fights.)
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Average Votes per Entry, with trend lines

The votes were sinking and sinking, and then the rules were changed to allow multiple votes per fight. Since then, votes per song have remained constant for five years. Interesting (depending of course how you define "interesting")
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Nice, that settles that question from this thread.