Circle of Titles IV

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass, Guitar, Tin Whistle
Recording Method: Reason
Submitting as: Mike Lamb|The Nutwalls|Kasper|The Narcaloungers|Die Toten Schlaghosen|IRCUSM
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Circle of Titles IV

Post by Mike Lamb »

fluffy wrote:Or you could just see the wonderful default index page at that site, Jon. I am happy with who got mine.
Doh. :(

Knew I shouldn't have sent my unfinished one up. Hardly seems worth updating now that this version is out there. Oh well, I guess it's close enough to done. Enjoy...
"Admittedly, I did not know what to expect with Kasper, but they, I think, just rocked our collective socks off." - GlennCase
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I'm sorry if that sapped your motivation.

For what it's worth, I think your song sounds great as is. The lo-fi disco vibe is really fun in this context.

(Also, for what it's worth, it's your server, and you can pull it back down if you want. :-) I'll take it back down when I get home if you haven't yet.)
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
cookie
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: bananas, eggs, that thing with the strings
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Cookie Blue
Pronouns: he/him or they/them

Post by cookie »

I apologize for being late. I finished writing today and I will record my song tomorrow. :)
come to the dark side.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Code: Select all

touch index.html
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I am going to try to rerecord my vocals tonight... waiting for my wife to go to bed :)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

I'm not finished, and I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it over the weekend. I'm going to skip the bit where I make excuses.
josh
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Kazoo, Vocals, Keys
Recording Method: Reaper, 4-Track Cassette
Submitting as: Zack Facco

Post by josh »

Okay, since I'm way past the original deadline, let me check in and say sorry for slowing the boat down. I actually was going to weasel out, but Jon talked some sense into me :-) I think the problem is that I ended up going down kind of a serious/emo route for the lyrics which has made it extra hard to complete. Better go back to a more goofy approach for the next fight I attempt. Anyway, excuses aside I made enough progress last night and have enough free time tonight, so I should have something up here by tomorrow afternoon. Jon, is dropbox a good way to submit to you?
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

josh wrote:Okay, since I'm way past the original deadline, let me check in and say sorry for slowing the boat down. I actually was going to weasel out, but Jon talked some sense into me :-) I think the problem is that I ended up going down kind of a serious/emo route for the lyrics which has made it extra hard to complete. Better go back to a more goofy approach for the next fight I attempt. Anyway, excuses aside I made enough progress last night and have enough free time tonight, so I should have something up here by tomorrow afternoon. Jon, is dropbox a good way to submit to you?
Yes, Dropbox is fine. I've also discovered that you can attach an mp3 to a PM right here on the Song Fight board! Wow, that simplifies a lot of things, right? Anyway, I'm not picky about how the song gets to me, as long as an mp3 winds up on my hard drive (which I then upload to Mike's server). :geek:

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
josh
Push Comes to Shove

Post by josh »

Oh, cool, I'll do that then. Wrote a few more lyrics then went for a power nap. Haha. Slowly but surely.
BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Post by BBABM »

so recording this evening has been a wonderful series of disasters, near-comebacks, and ultimate failures on the part of coming up with a better recording. i did manage to find the microphone.. however, the drivers seem to have been messed up or lost, because reaper wont recognize it anymore. so rather than battle with this stupid computer all night to get a forced, and rushed recording i am going to let you post the potato version, with an expressed promise to play this very song live during my SongFight Live! set... and hope that you accept my humble apologies and don't hate me forever.
josh
Push Comes to Shove

Post by josh »

Alright, I did it! And in everyone's favorite format: One guy, one guitar, one mic. Again, really cool title, thanks.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

hey, i finished mine.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Sorry - can't do this at the moment. I have always done these as "double-title' songs with the current Songfight! Maybe in a few weeks I will try to do that. But now I still have a Nur Ein hangover, I have a lady coming around for dinner, and then I have to fly to Quilpie.

Yes...Quilpie.
That's a place for your bucket list.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

The entries by Zack Facco and Heuristics, Inc. are both uploaded now.

We're up to eight out of eleven. 8-)

josh
Push Comes to Shove

Post by josh »

So your date is going to end with a trip to the quill pie?
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

josh wrote:So your date is going to end with a trip to the quill pie?
No, it didn't. Never mind - another date tomorrow with another lady. Such is the life of an internet rock star.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

mine is obviously fictional since the bills don't win any games. but we cheer for them anyway.
-bill
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
jast
Ice Cream Man

Post by jast »

I'm finished! Yay! Sending PM now.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

That brings our count up to 9 out of 11, and I'm pretty sure the two stiffers aren't coming through anytime soon, so...

Here's the official site!

http://joneric.table2.com/Circle4.html

Everyone, feel free to try to tackle one of the neglected titles. :-)

BBABM
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, Voice, drums
Recording Method: Session, fruity loops
Submitting as: Bad Boys at Bat Mitzvahs, Fitzroy

Post by BBABM »

When I listen to mine on speakers rather than headphones, it actually doesn't sound as awful as I remember. Cheers.
josh
Push Comes to Shove

Post by josh »

Surprisingly playing the mp3's off that site actually worked on my system (I use Linux... trust me, this is a big deal :-)

Mike Lamb: Some fun lyrics. I really like the bass line and tone. The high hat panned off to the side is perhaps a little too forward in the mix. Guitar tone is a bit thin. Like the overall feel.

Heuristics, Inc: Great concept. Took me a couple of reads through the lyrics to get it. Bass is umm... maybe too low or something. Feels like an ear test going on in the background. I like the dark, paranoid kinda feel, it fits the lyrics well.

BBaBM: Vocals are kinda low and difficult to understand. Maybe I'm just biased because it's my title, but I'd like to be able to hear the lyrics :-) However I did read them over on the lyrics thread and they're strange and enigmatic. I like that. I will say that the title isn't particularly well represented though. Is that a regular guitar, btw? It has a uke kinda feel to it, but somehow sounds a little bigger.

Nick Soma: I like the rhythm guitar sound. Overall the mix feels kinda messy. But it's a pretty competent sounding pop punk song.

Paco del Stinko: It struck me that some harmony/background (oh's ahs) are missing on this. But the recording sounds great and it's a cool arrangement. Lots of interesting parts working together and mixed well. Decent guitar solos, too.

Sockpuppet: I'm a big fan of dissonant chord changes. I like the minor fourth sound a lot. So that immediately got my attention (and yeah, I had to pick up my guitar to figure out exactly what it was). The beats are cool, too and the ambient sections between the choruses. The pithiness on the high vocals is a little distracting, but with the kind of offbeat sound of the song, it's actually not entirely a problem for me and I enjoyed the song a lot.

Jon Eric: Many thanks to our dutiful facilitator. Okay, I feel like piano players have the unfair advantage of having some instant "classiness" added to their recordings. I like the piano sounds. The bass isn't very present. The lyrics didn't catch me much. There's a nice lighthearted feel to the song. It's funny, your vocals remind me a lot of a friend of mine I used to play with.

Jan: I'll try and come back and review this. It wasn't posted yet when I listened.

Oh, yeah, and of course...

Zack Facco: I really like the bridge section... Vocals came off whiny and occasionally pitchy sounding, which always drives me nuts, but I haven't figured out how to "fix" that yet. Maybe other folks can relate to this, usually it sounds better right after recording, worse the next day and then better again if I listen after a long time. Never satisfied, though. One potential positive is that I feel like I end up having a somewhat distinctive "sound" to my singer/songwriter type songs...
jast
Ice Cream Man

Post by jast »

Generic wrote:Here's the official site!
And my song is missing... well, it's listed but the link is broken. Should I start taking this personally? ;)

(The link goes to jankrueger_... but the file is currently named jast_...)