Protestation Proclamation

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Drew Tetz
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Protestation Proclamation

Post by Drew Tetz »

In the 1960s, there was approximately a crapload of songs protesting war, discrimination, violence, and, well, pretty much anything. There have been songs like this throughout the rest of the years (and what seems to be a recent surge about the Bush administration), but what about the scandalous things that happened before every schmuck with a guitar and an opinion started radiating pure beatnik fury? They deserve a chance to be protested, too! So, that's what this fight is for.

The idea is this: choose any event in history that happened BEFORE the 1900s and write/record a song as if you were there and protesting it. Louis XVI getting you down? Take up your guitar, and off with his head! Taxation without representation? Show your anger with a full-fledged synth attack. It doesn't have to be a well-known event (you can tell us what it is or challenge the history buffs to guess), and it doesn't have to be silly (slavery, genocide, etc. do tend to suck), so do whatever you want.

There's not going to be any prize or anything, so this is more of a fun sideproject than anything else. Only rules are, once again, to do a song protesting an event that happened before the year 1900. Christianity or any other religions are a cheap shot, but we'll allow it - perhaps the Crusades would be a better topic than Christianity itself, but whatever. All styles are welcome, and if somebody wants to do art, that'd be pretty sweet. Then you could make your own bootleg concept album, etc. We'll say that May 20 is the deadline. Have fun!

(any suggestions/questions, just go ahead and mention 'em. Johnny Cashpoint has generously offered to assemble a website when it's all complete, so everybody smile big at him.)
Last edited by Drew Tetz on Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Well, be countin' me in, f'sure!

j$
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Damnit, I really wanted to protest this:

THE FALL OF THE GREAT SIBERIAN METEORITE, JUNE 30, 1908 (TUNGUSKA)

... I guess I'll have to pick something else. Still... Tun-gooos-ka! Heh, fun.

Oh, and :) :) :) to j$
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

I will do this about dinosaurs. Or vampires if they were before 1900.
Niveous wrote:It's a song about your dick and there's just not enough material to satisfy.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

Denyer wrote:I will do this about dinosaurs. Or vampires if they were before 1900.
The novel Dracula was written/published in 1897.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

mkilly wrote:
Denyer wrote:I will do this about dinosaurs. Or vampires if they were before 1900.
The novel Dracula was written/published in 1897.
sweet. I figured it was close since stoker died not long after 1900.
Niveous wrote:It's a song about your dick and there's just not enough material to satisfy.
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

this is a really cool idea.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

I can't resist this one. I've already got a song writing itself in my head. I'm definitely in this one.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Yeah - Governor of New South Wales, Lachlan Macquarie has always had it coming to him as far as I'm concerned - the big, girl's-blouse - and I've also never like Xerxes II of Persia - you bet I'll be in this.
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

[opens up french history book]

god, this site is bad for my health. and you guys are going to hate me and my francophilia soon, but damn the ride is going to be fun while it lasts.

count me in, my little acoustic and all...
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

hey! Je suis un francophile aussi. um... we should collab maybe. sometimes I can write lyrics decently.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

mkilly wrote:hey! Je suis un francophile aussi. um... we should collab maybe. sometimes I can write lyrics decently.
juste pour vraiment faire chier les autres et me montrer plus francophile que toi, ça doit être : "hé ! je suis aussi francophile", ou, au moins, "hé ! je suis francophile, moi aussi." (je taquine, quoi...)

and i've found that i really like collaborations. i'm not usually much at a loss for lyrics, but what i'm lacking now is a good subject. if you've got an idea (or words already to go), i'm more than game.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

nyjm wrote:
mkilly wrote:hey! Je suis un francophile aussi. um... we should collab maybe. sometimes I can write lyrics decently.
juste pour vraiment faire chier les autres et me montrer plus francophile que toi, ça doit être : "hé ! je suis aussi francophile", ou, au moins, "hé ! je suis francophile, moi aussi." (je taquine, quoi...)

and i've found that i really like collaborations. i'm not usually much at a loss for lyrics, but what i'm lacking now is a good subject. if you've got an idea (or words already to go), i'm more than game.
Je regrette. I only took un ans de Francais. anyway--sure, I'll pm you.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Re: Protestation Proclamation

Post by Eric Y. »

Drew Tetz wrote:We'll say that May 20 is the deadline.
i love how you didn't say that was the deadline, but you said you would say that it was. because everyone knows, even if you do say that's the deadline, it really would mean, like, june 20 instead.

anyway i'm really really super freaking busy these days so i can't commit to anything. but i just wanted to express the opinion that this sounds like it would be a lot of fun.
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

one of my favorite classical-style albums is called "Voices of Light" by Richard Einhorn. It is a collection of pieces that outline the story of Joan of Arc. Ever since I bought it in 1994 I've been wanting to write something about Joan of Arc.

Il faut que j'ecrit ce chanson maintenant, peut-etre.
Drew Tetz
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Drew Tetz »

Roughly two weeks til the "deadline"! how's everyone doing?
Drew Tetz
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Drew Tetz »

Anybody do one?
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Damn. I forgot when this was due. And I was working on a song for it. Damn. Damn. We need to have a sidefight due date sticky.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost