Everything I'm Cracked Up to Be by Jen Trynin

Because some of us can read.
Middlemarch
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: Northern New York-west of the Hudson and north of everything (except Canada-and those other places)

Everything I'm Cracked Up to Be by Jen Trynin

Post by Middlemarch »

Trynin only released two major albums (there's a third indie-released one that I haven't been able to track down...), but I think she's one of the best songwriters of the past decade. This book covers her experiences of 'making it big.' There was a major bidding war over her in '95. The big labels and indie labels alike fawned over her, etc. Once she signed (Warner Bros.), she went on tour and the first-class service stopped. She eventually becomes disillusioned with the whole rock-star thing, though she clings to her quickly fading dream for much of the book.

One thing I really like about this book is the insight. We all know that the music business is more business than music, but I appreciated her giving details. There are several pages where she explains clearly but humorously how the 'deals' work, who gets paid what, what's left over, and so on...

The other thing I like is her honesty. She doesn't come across as holier-than-though, idealistic, or whiny. She does whine, and gets angry, and smokes and drinks too much, and gets pissed when that Alanis chick steals all her potential thunder (there was only room for one rockergrrrrl that year, it seems). As a writer, she isn't afraid to come across as silly or crass. She doesn't sugarcoat her feelings or actions while making others out to be at fault; she stands there at fault with them.

It's a quick read, thanks to Trynin's writing style. I STRONGLY suggest listening to her CDs -- Cockamamie and Gun Shy Trigger Happy -- while reading this. They are great albums, with some clever melodies and powerful words.

Jen is playing in the Boston area with the band Loveless. Hopefully, she'll put out another solo album!

http://www.jentrynin.com

MM
<i>"you kind of sound like Oscar the Grouch" -- Feldspar

"sounds like church camp stuff" -- Tricia </i>

<a href="http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/alb ... id=1503">G. Williker at Nowhere Radio</a>
Henrietta
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vox, Kazoo
Recording Method: None
Submitting as: Quimby, Nouveau Pauvre
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Henrietta »

Cockamamie is one of my favorites. Thanks for the tip about her book!
hectified
A New Player
Instruments: None
Recording Method: Fruity Loops
Submitting as: Drop Dead Average

Post by hectified »

Love both of Jen's albums. I thought 'One Year down' was single of the year material when it came out. Plan to pick up the book.