Songfighters of Gor - fantasy, sci-fi and horror must-reads

Because some of us can read.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

jb wrote:I can't bear to read anything by Orson Scott Card, since I found out he's a raving lunatic asshole.
How the hell did I miss this thread! I would have been posting the hell out of it. Well, all the better for y'all that I didn't.

Anyway, I just finished "Ender's Game" because everyone has said it's the greatest science fiction novel EVER or some such nonsense. It WASN'T. In fact, it wasn't even very good. Kind of compelling, but great? Come on! Plus I also read he's a Mormon fanatic, so that put me off, and made me question throughout if he had some homophobic allegorical meaning to the evil aliens being called "buggers". Big disappointment.

FINALLY reading Iasimov's "Foundation". Dense as dark chocolate, but fascinating.

Has anyone ever heard of Fredric Brown? He was a b-level science fiction writer, most famous for a Star Trek episode called "Arena" (Kirk makes a cannon out of native materials in a fight with a lizard man), but his best work is a series of quirky, funny O Henry-like short stories and novels, my favorite being a comic novel called "Martians Go Home" which I'm currently re-reading. Any Fredric Brown fans out there and you're my instant best friend.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Oh, so more from ME about science fiction.

Dune - great, if a bit thick
1984 - Masterpiece. Hard to believe this was science fiction in its day
Stranger in a Strange Land - A perfect book
The Stand - couldn't put it down

I read a book a few years ago and I can't remember the title or the author, but it was a very science-heavy novel in which super-intelligent squids were engineered and sent into space, and they created this whole huge spacefaring squid society, and meanwhile humans had learned to harness the energy of galaxies and move them around to suit their own energy needs. Does this rings a bell for anyone?

Oh, and my recent FAVORITE sci-fi novels, Moon Rise and Moon War by Ben Bova. Exciting, believable, great.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Jim of Seattle wrote: 1984 - Masterpiece. Hard to believe this was science fiction in its day
Masterpiece, yes. But I don't think it was ever considered 'science fiction' - was it?
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Only by people who don't read science fiction. Although I guess anything set in the future falls under the general umbrella of science fiction.

Jim - how much Foundation have you gotten through so far? The second trilogy has a different feel, probably because by that point he was writing novels, instead of collecting short stories and presenting them as novels. But it's still good.

I've become a recent fan of Michael Swanwick's stories that show up in Asimov's from time to time. He's a nutty guy.
Let cake eat them.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

I thought his son or something wrote the books after the first trilogy... I'm still only on the first book. It's on tape, and given my commute rate, I'll be done with it tomorrow evening. It's really interesting, but yeah, it's not so much a novel as a 200-page rough sketch of a 1000-page novel. I generally stay away from multi-book stories; I usually run out of patience. Foundation, though, seem like it's worth the time investment.

Oh, and the squid book I was trying to think of was Time by Stephen Baxter. Can't say I recommend it, but it's pretty mind-blowing.

So what aspect of 1984 disqualifies it as science fiction? Takes place in the future, has a completely different culture, pits something of an everyman against this futuristic society... Perhaps it's become so accepted by the mainstream as a classic that it's lost its science fiction street cred or something.....?
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Perhaps the lack of <i>science</i> as a major plot device?
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Jim of Seattle wrote:So what aspect of 1984 disqualifies it as science fiction?
Marketing, maybe. Or rather, the author himself, whose life and the style and subject of his other works kept 1984 from being filed in the SF ghetto on the 'sellerses bookshelves of the '50s-'80s.
Jim of Seattle wrote:Perhaps it's become so accepted by the mainstream as a classic that it's lost its science fiction street cred or something.....?
Yeah, it's easier to sell to the straights if it ain't labeled SF (science- or speculative-fiction, that is), heh.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Freudian Slip
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Freudian Slip »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:
Jim of Seattle wrote:So what aspect of 1984 disqualifies it as science fiction?
Marketing, maybe. Or rather, the author himself, whose life and the style and subject of his other works kept 1984 from being filed in the SF ghetto on the 'sellerses bookshelves of the '50s-'80s.
Jim of Seattle wrote:Perhaps it's become so accepted by the mainstream as a classic that it's lost its science fiction street cred or something.....?
Yeah, it's easier to sell to the straights if it ain't labeled SF (science- or speculative-fiction, that is), heh.
Speculative Fiction, eh? Slap any label you like best on it as far as I'm concerned. I love contrasting the Dsytopian Societies of Orwell and Bradbury. Course, reading up on Orwell a while back, it mentioned in his biographal file that he was ill (tuberculosis, I think) and disillusioned by his suffering, which likely colored his world with a darker set of crayons.

So. Given that 1984 is banished to the outlying regions of sci-fi, what genre would "Ethel the Aardvark Goes Quantity Surveying", be?
To Do Is To Be. --Socrates
To Be Is To Do. --Plato
DoBeDoBe, DoBeDo --Sinatra
I could 'see' you-- humming away (a few pill bottles on the sideboard)...But it just didn’t measure up to the insanity that is Freudian Slip...
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Can we please not get into a 'what is or isn't sci-fi' debate? It's as unanswerable as 'What is or isn't Jazz?' or 'Which was the first Punk band?' 1984 is as much science fiction as L Ron Hubbard, and I know which I'd rather read.

J$
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

j$ wrote:It's as unanswerable as 'What is or isn't Jazz?'
:?:
I am Jazz.
Let cake eat them.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

wait... 1984 is fiction???
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

the Jazz wrote:
j$ wrote:It's as unanswerable as 'What is or isn't Jazz?'
:?:
I am Jazz.
No, you are the Jazz. As in mag. hehehe.

j$
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

tviyh wrote:wait... 1984 is fiction???
Some would argue that the whole of the 80s were fiction :)

j$
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

j$ wrote: 1984 is as much science fiction as L Ron Hubbard, and I know which I'd rather read.

J$
1984 wasn't science fiction. It's a social satire. It's actually set in 1948. It's not futuristic. It was releveant to 1948, to 1984, to 2004 and so on.

Science fiction is something that is read by boys who play 'Dungeons and Dragons' and can't find girls to have sex with them. Isaac Asimov had a very small penis.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

you're just trying to start controversy, aren't you.
sheesh. rididculous.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Caravan Ray wrote:
j$ wrote: 1984 is as much science fiction as L Ron Hubbard, and I know which I'd rather read.

J$
1984 wasn't science fiction. It's a social satire. It's actually set in 1948. It's not futuristic. It was releveant to 1948, to 1984, to 2004 and so on.

Science fiction is something that is read by boys who play 'Dungeons and Dragons' and can't find girls to have sex with them. Isaac Asimov had a very small penis.
Hmm, actually it was written in 1948. The inversion of the dates was of course to highlight that it was a comment on where society was going in '48. Doesn't sop it being science fiction, though.

Australia are not Rugby World Champions. There is nothing charming about a dodgy-looking bloke holding a baby whilst wearing a hat. Caravan Ray is science fiction. Discuss. :)
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

BTW, Stephen King was on The Daily Show last night... so the re-runs will air today.

He's plugging a new book he co-wrote with some guy on the Red Sox.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I haven't been reading this thread entirely, but if a thread about science fiction writing has gone four whole pages without a mention of Stanislaw Lem, something is horribly remiss. If he has, in fact, been mentioned, then you can disregard this message. Have a nice day. :)
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Generic wrote:Stanislaw Lem
Uhh... who???
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Mostess »

Lem's "Cyberiad" has a songfight in (I believe) the first chapter. Buy it and read it now.

An appetizer: http://www.cse.wustl.edu/~jbuhler/cyberiad.html
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Jim of Seattle wrote:
Generic wrote:Stanislaw Lem
Uhh... who???
Tell me you're joking, Jimmy.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Caravan Ray wrote:Science fiction is something that is read by boys who play 'Dungeons and Dragons' and can't find girls to have sex with them.
...and who spend a lot of their time posting in online forums, let's not forget ;)
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day