American Gods

Blab about the Boob Tube.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

American Gods

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Okay, so the first season is over. (I'm always timely in my posts, right?) Anyone watch? Anyone like it?

I read the book many years ago and enjoyed it. They are taking great liberties with the original story, but I like what they've done. The stories are decent, the cinematography is very well done. I like that, especially the latter episodes, each segment can be it's own story while still furthering the main arc. A lot of character development and some episodes are better than others, but I'm enjoying it. Sucks it's on Starz, but...

But I wonder how others feel. Anyone read the book? Anyone watching the show?
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Re: American Gods

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

Yes and yes. Good grief, it's the first series I've had to preface my recommendations with a disclaimer ("Okay, there's going to be some over the top blood stuff in the beginning, but the story isn't all Viking blood sacrifices... <bites tongue> those guys aren't in it past that beginning bit"), and I rave about the AMC series Preacher to all who'll listen. Sans gore disclaimer.

Naturally, I say nothing about Bisqus' introduction :twisted:

Intrigued by the changes myself, not hating them or finding them gratuitous. Although... Mr. Nancy's character is delightfully heavier than in the book (and also heavier than in "Anansi Boys", his book by Gaiman; no little restructuring of character expectations there!), but his line "Angry... gets shit done!" forgave all perceptual dislocation in my mind.

So far, my review and opinion is "Whee!"
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Re: American Gods

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I don't watch T.V. as a rule. Cardinals baseball and Mizzou sports and I watch a few shows with my wife sometimes, but I don't miss them when I miss them. So it is unusual for me to be interested in a series. My wife asked me about it and I had two things to say (just a few episodes into the series.) A lot of blood and more penises than I've seen since high school gym class. All of it extremely well done. Artistically, too. The cinematography is pretty darn good. This definitely felt like a "set up" season. But then again, I like the tales they are telling and the pace is good, if slow at times. It's good story telling.

I guess it's time to cancel Starz until next year for season two.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang