Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Inhumans

Post by Lunkhead »

Ugh. I haven't loved every Marvel Netflix series. And Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has had its ups and downs. But Inhumans seems to be the first irredeemable turd of the MCU. I'm really trying to get through just the first episode. It's not going well. Has anybody watched the whole show...? I read a review of later episodes and it sounds like it doesn't really improve much.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Re: Inhumans

Post by ken »

I've watched a few episodes and it is unlikely to be worth watching further. I read a great critical review of it and it was totally spot on. Terrible costumes, premise, acting, the list was spot on. Maybe it will somehow find a groove later on, but that just seems unlikely. The takeaway from the article I read was that something that worked as a comic, just doesn't translate to live action television.

Now, who has started watching the Gifted? I've been recording it, but haven't started on it yet.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Man, it is SO terrible. I can't believe I have to wait two extra months for Agents of SHIELD so they could air this flaming turd. And I'm still just trying to finish the pilot! EDIT: Oh, that was the end. What?!?!?! It just ended very abruptly and in a rather non-sensical way. WTF?
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Black Bolt sure stands in the middle of the road a long time. Also, how come everybody has to say out loud what just happened, how they're feeling, and what they are going to do, all the time?!!
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Here's the review: http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2 ... t-inhumans

It's all about this -
I mean at one point a character says, "If anyone can do this, it's Gorgon!" You know? That's an actual line that works fine — sort of fine — on the page. But when spoken by a person? In a So-Fro Fabrics space tunic? It's less than fine.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Yeah, that pretty much nails it. I feel like having a character that doesn't speak is challenging and these writers were SO not up to that challenge. In a comic, you can do thought balloons, and have narrative exposition text. They could have replicated the thought balloons by having a voiceover maybe with an effect on it or something so that the audience could hear what he is "saying" to people. Or just have subtitles when he is "speaking" to people. Clearly he has some way of communicating somehow to others, with his custom sign language and expressions. Instead they have the actor just stare intensely and have other people say the exposition and/or repeat what he's "saying" to them. It's so clumsy and terrible. And how the f do they have audio-only communicators when they're freaking king can't speak?!?! No FaceTime on those things? And yet they have all kinds of other sophisticated technology, including some kind of video cameras e.g. for surveillance on the moon around Attilan. AARGH!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

And what is with the darts in Medusa's awful colored Attilan attire that are right over her nipples?! Who the f thought that was a good costume design.

And Gorgon just randomly finds himself amongst a bunch of ex-soldiers?!!!!

And these royals sure are a murderous lot.
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Yes, the guy has goat hooves, except when he is wearing boots, then his feet are totally normal. The list goes on and on...

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I managed to get through this show. I guess it got slightly less terrible in the second half? Or maybe enough of my brain cells were killed by the first half. Anyway, they wrapped it up in a way where it's pretty ridiculous for this show to suffer the fate of Agents of SHIELD and not have any meaning in the context of the Marvel films. Also they bothered to hint at future stories/seasons? Seriously?!?! Who would watch more of this?!!