Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

The Umbrella Academy (on Netflix)

Post by Lunkhead »

We've been watching this show this weekend. The first couple episodes had a bunch of cringe worthy stuff that had us concerned it was all going to suck. There are some really trying-too-hard moments, at being the cross between The Royal Tenenbaums and Watchmen that it's being called. Once the exposition dies down and the plot picks up, though, it becomes more engrossing. The focus shifts to the central mysteries (how did the father die? how does the world end? etc.) which you learn about at a slow steady drip. The acting overall is pretty good after the first episode too, after folks have to stop doing awkward dance routines for no reason (barring one long exception later). The effects are also well done and it looks mostly really good but there is too much orange/teal coloring for me in all the scenes that take place in low light.

Anybody else checking it out?
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Re: The Umbrella Academy (on Netflix)

Post by ken »

Finally started watching this over the weekend and it is okay. I'm mostly surprised by how old some of the songs on the soundtrack are. David Gray songs from White Ladder?
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Finished this over the weekend and enjoyed it. It became fairly clear where it was going, but they set up season two well enough for me. I'll watch it when/if it comes out.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

I enjoyed it but you have to get through the first couple of episodes which are a bit of a slosh.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost