SUPERNOVA -Rockstar

Blab about the Boob Tube.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

SUPERNOVA -Rockstar

Post by Leaf »

Ok. Whoever this dude is that is singing the Duran Duran... wtf was he thinking????

My favourite thing about this show:

How they continue to repeat what a "huge, amazing, exciting, incredible" adjectiveadjectiveadjective Supernova is.

Like, let's hear a tune!!

I got a few favs so far...none that were in tonight's bottom three.

Uh... we got this technician from Iceland here right now. He's all stoked about Magni... who I thought rocked but may be TOO heavy for this commerica...uh I mean serious heavy rock band. Iceland. 300,000 people.

Seriously...Roxanne and the Duran Duran thing... uuuhggghhh. ( I love Roxanne but seriously dude. Yer on tv. )
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

I hope a fat person wins.
Niveous wrote:It's a song about your dick and there's just not enough material to satisfy.
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Denyer wrote:I hope a fat person wins.
Ha ha. Joke's on you. No fat people.

But there are two short chicks... and they rocked hard. Might be the best two in the whole thing.

I like how Dave Navarro is selling the whole thing like they are a serious rock band. I can't believe Newsted is doing this. Then, I look at my bank statement, and I go "ohhhyeahworkitJason".
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

well I hope a short person wins then.
Niveous wrote:It's a song about your dick and there's just not enough material to satisfy.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

Post by king_arthur »

We've been watching this (and saw it last season), and I was impressed... other than, yeah, that guy who did Roxanne and didn't seem to realize that all he did was show off that he couldn't hit Sting's notes. Then again, by next season, maybe it'll be "Rock Star: Duran Duran" and he'll have, like, the inside track.

Dilana and Lukas were amazing. "Somebody to Love" gave me chills, but maybe that's just the song...

Biggest complaint I had about this show last season was that they started referring to all the contestants by first name only, which seemed to me like it reduced it from "15 serious rock singers competing for a real career" to "15 kids who will go nowhere if they don't win here." I mean, at least Idol gives the contestants some exposure... even those who don't win can turn their appearance into a career as a DJ or something, 'cause people have heard of them...

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

What was Matt thinking????
Dave Navarro: Next time, bring the rock.
Matt: I'll do Duran Duran
What are you thinking????

Dilana makes me laugh. She's so over the top.

Lukas Rossi & Storm Large are my favorites so far.

The Roxanne thing was kinda rough. That guy had no chance of hitting Sting's notes. But then again, he sucked at doing the Doors too. So i think he just sucked, peroid. Same for the guy who did Iris...or should I say overdid.

Magni is some kinda rock god in Iceland. His band A Moti Sol is big out there. He's got two gold records under his belt.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Dilana and Lukas are the two people (so far) who would make some people want to go see this band live, people who might not otherwise have any interest in a new band featuring Tommy Lee and those other two guys. There are some good singers there, but those two are the ones who'll sell additional tickets. Which is what it's all about, right? I suspect the guys in the band will either go, "we gotta have this guy (Lukas)" or they'll decide, "no way am I spending a year on a tour bus with this guy..."

Of course, the other cool thing about this show is that every week the singers get some sort of training, some area where everybody gets some guidance from the pros on how to improve - singing, posturing, clothing, hair, etc. OK, yeah, they get that on Idol, too, but... this is better.

And there won't be any "standards" nights or "Stevie Wonder" nights or any of that. This is rock 'n' roll...

Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

Yeah, my favs so far I think are Dilana, Lukas, Magni, Storm and for some reason, Dana is digging Josh. He was good, but I'm not sure if he's got the rock.

This Chris guy thinking they are amongst the 15 best singers in the world... buddy...buddy... at least he can change hairstyles between performances. That's gotta count for something.

I love how Lukas tries to mind game. I'd like to mind game that dude. It'd be fun makin him cry. I like his rock vibe though.
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Wow, Supernova was a bit more harsh this week. I enjoyed that.

Jill not knowing she was doing Courtney Love is BULLSHIT.

Zayra was terrible and it didn't help that she had never heard "You Really Got Me" before. But still Dilana had never heard "Ring of Fire" before and she wasn't nearly as atrocious. And Zayra was so snide. She had better pray she's not in the bottom 3.

Storm Large continues to impress me. As did Lukas Rossi. I almost forgot that was a Coldplay song he did.

I can't stand Phil Ritchie. Last night I actually said "i wish there was a trap door" while watching him. I wished he was on Showtime at the Apollo so Sandman Simms would have brought out the hook.

Chris Pierson looks like Anakin Skywalker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ol-Q5qKys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khts4H0ktK4

Dana Andrews is milquetoast.

Josh Logan can't rock. He just can't. He tries but he's a soul guy. He just can't rock.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
a bebop a rebop
Push Comes to Shove

Post by a bebop a rebop »

I've never watched the show, but I couldn't even make it through that youtube clip you linked. The crowd shots were just ridiculous. (I guess that's kinda the point? But still...)
THIS IS NO JOKE
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

Yeah, Lukas, Dilana, Magni and Storm are my favs so far... some people have to go. NOW.

I have to wonder, what were the auditoners thinking?? This isn't IDOL, it's a fuckin band project. You need band members with their own personas and not Zayras that NEED TO FUCK OFF.

If I was auditioning for a band I'd learn the tunes they had done. EVERY SINGLE ONE. What is she thinking "I've heard of your music"??? What a fucking egotistical moron.

Uh.. I hope Dana is still there... man, she is clueless (and no, I don't mean MY Dana) That makeup... priceless. I can't wait to see how she embarrasses herself!!
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Funny thing, my wife thought Dana was hot. The three of us all thought she was horrible and clueless but the wife was still happy to watch her.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
hectified
A New Player
Instruments: None
Recording Method: Fruity Loops
Submitting as: Drop Dead Average

Post by hectified »

I've seen Storm and the Balls live a couple times at Dante's in Portland. From what I've seen on the show, she's a little off her usual form so far. She'll settle in and be even better as long as she stays.
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Looky Looky...
I don't know how reliable the source is (but it seems pretty good) but here are what this week's performances are gonna be:

Patrice - Helter Skelter - by: The Beatles
Josh - Come As You Are - by: Nirvana
Storm - Just What I Needed - by: The Cars
Lukas - Let’s Spend the Night Together - by: The Rolling Stones
Jill - All Right Now - by: Free
Ryan - Fortunate Son - by: Creedence Clearwater Revival
Phil - White Rabbit - by: Jefferson Airplane
Dana - It’s My Life - by: Bon Jovi
Toby - Runaway Train - by: Soul Asylum
Magni - Plush - by: Stone Temple Pilots
Zayra - Everybody Hurts - by: R.E.M.
Jenny - Drive - by: Incubus
Dilana - Zombie - by: The Cranberries

If this is accurate then this should be an interesting week.

Hearing Josh Logan who has done ballads the last two weeks do Nirvana shoule be interesting. Zayra doing a ballad is gonna suck.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

WTF! Zayra survives?!
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

The reason why Phil was eliminated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjsyPLu_1bg

A lesson- watch what you say to the press.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

For the songs for next week, the band (Supernova) is giving an instrumental track they recorded to all the contestants, and the contestants have to write lyrics and melody to the song, and perform it. Not sure if it's the same track to everybody or just how they're handling it, but that seems to be the plan. Sounds vaguely like... a songfight!

I'm really enjoying this show, especially the comments from the band members on what they're looking for week to week... this just makes "Idol" look so pointless in comparison.

Charles (KA)
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Well, I have no idea what happened to the Supernova songfight... I wasn't blown away by any of the performances last night, though the guys in the band seem to be pretty happy.

Charles
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

I posted the Rockstar Songfight. It's in the post above yours.

I think Storm Large did very well last night.

Everyone else wasn't anything to write home about.
Patrice was bland.
Toby and his megaphone was okay.
Jill was atrocious.
Dilana did well, she looked like a frontman.
Lukas....I'm done with Lukas. Please take him off my TV.
Magni has never thrilled me. This was his "awww he's playing for his family moment". Makes TV drama but not good music.
Zayra is kept around so Supernova have someone to laugh at and with her heels, top cat and gold outfit....she was a clown.
Ryan--WTF!!! What was with the silly hoodie and raccoon makeup!!
Josh did worst of all. He seemed so starstruck up there with Tommy Lee.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Ahh, okay, that's what that was about... I was stuck on a barely-working wireless hookup for a few days there so I didn't check out those links yet... thanks!

I was sorta hoping that Lukas would finally turn me into a Radiohead fan by doing one of their songs (I'm starting to get Nirvana based on some of the performances on the show so far), but, yeah, he mostly just convinced me that he's lost his way.

Charles
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

So maybe Niv and I are the only ones still watching this, but...

Every time the Supernova guys do one of their own songs with one of the rockers, the video image seems noticeably different to me... at first I was thinking maybe "film vs. video" or something. It made me think that maybe those segments were being done ahead of time, so they could be more carefully edited, and then just shown as video during the show. But it seems like, if that's what they were doing, they'd be able to do a better job of making it look like the rest of the show... I'm not even seeing this in HD or anything.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this, and if any of our video gurus have a guess what's going on. Are they just turning up the lights way brighter and blasting the cameras? Or is something else afoot, maybe?

I'm still enjoying the show, although the Supernova songs are probably my least favorite of the music... I'm actually starting to think that I need to plunge into Nirvana, and that I'd actually like some of it if I gave it a fair listen!

Charles