New Players stand up and be counted.
drproximo
A New Player
Instruments: vocals, sequencing, acoustic guitar
Recording Method: GarageBand, ModPlug Tracker, Audacity
Submitting as: Dr Proximo, Van Gauche

newb

Post by drproximo »

about 10 years ago I was going to participate in a songfight. I had written lyrics of a rap song for the title "Elements of Style", in which I name-dropped Strunk & White, but mostly concentrated on bad-mouthing Benzino. I used Hip-Hop eJay to create a back track, then tried recording my vocals in that program as well, but I had latency issues, I would record but the playback was delayed about a half-second. at the time my software knowledge was almost non-existent and the computer I was using wasn't very powerful, so I really wasn't equipped to fix it, and I gave up the day before the deadline.

fast-forward a decade, in addition to a fairly good handle on ModPlug Tracker and Audacity, I now own an iPod Touch with GarageBand, which has no latency issues. last year I recorded a demo as part of the RPM Challenge. it was fun, felt good to finally have something finished, even if it had little value other than "proof of concept". so now that I know I can actually make music, I'm going to try to get into songfighting for realz.

Dr Proximo is my "primary" persona, nerdcore hip-hop, but I'm also toying with Van Gauche, which is a continuation of glitch music I made as Ugliness Man when I first started experimenting with MPT. I got back into the site a few days ago, so instead of trying to do a rush job on "Drop in the Bucket" I decided to wait for the next title.

edit: I asked a dumb question about how long it takes for the new title to be announced, I wasn't really taking into account that entries from the previous title have to be dealt with so they can be posted at the same time as the new title, please forgive any appearance of impatience. please don't shoot me.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: newb

Post by Lunkhead »

Welcome to Song Fight! Please be awesome. :)

(That's our standard n00b greeting these days I think?)

Don't worry about asking about the timing of the updates. It's deliberately kept mysterious and vague. It usually happens 0-4 days after the deadline passes. Before the new title goes up, the Fightmaster requests it from Deep Throat, and Deep Throat responds with the new title whenever he/she/it feels like it. Before the songs for a fight can go up somebody has to submit some cover art, and somebody has to make a review thread. Then there are other less specific factors.
drproximo
A New Player

Post by drproximo »

Lunkhead wrote:Before the songs for a fight can go up somebody has to submit some cover art, and somebody has to make a review thread. Then there are other less specific factors.
I'm told on IRC that nobody has submitted art for Drop in the Bucket yet, and that you are the person who needs to set me up with an account to submit said art. so I am requesting that you hook me up, and in the meantime here's what I got:

https://imgur.com/NOTjY1s
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

fixed.
ditb.jpg
ditb.jpg (81.78 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

I actually have no idea how to add art accounts for people yet. :( Sorry! I should really get one of the other Fightmasters/etc. to explain that to me at some point. For now send an email to fightmaster@songfight.org and one of the real gurus will hook you up. Thanks for contributing art though, that's helpful!
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I don't get fightmaster email but I can set up an artist account for you. PM me with your preferred username and password. (Please, please, please do not use the same password as on anywhere else, because it is not even remotely secure.)
drproximo
A New Player

Post by drproximo »

fluffy wrote:I don't get fightmaster email but I can set up an artist account for you. PM me with your preferred username and password. (Please, please, please do not use the same password as on anywhere else, because it is not even remotely secure.)
I'm set up now and already contributed a better cover the "conventional" way, but thanks.

HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

On a different topic, good bandnames!
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas