Long time no see

New Players stand up and be counted.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Re: Long time no see

Post by Jim of Seattle »

AJOwens wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:43 am
Welcome back! When I started here, you stood out for me because people in the chat rooms were wondering if I was you, making a comeback (so I'm told; I never used the chat rooms). This is mostly because we have almost the same name (do people add "s" to yours? They often drop it from mine), but also people seemed to see similarities in our contributions -- maybe because we're both eccentric and versatile. I can't see any other reason. I don't remember if we were ever in the same fight, but I enjoyed your musically literate contributions in the archives.

I never thought you were a dick; just not afraid to be helpful, even if it meant being honest. You could be badly wrong (I sometimes thought to myself), but that's different. I particularly appreciated your "orthogonal reviews" project, when you volunteered to review all of someone's entries. You did that for me, and I learned from it. In fact, I felt like a dick, because I never bought your CD afterwards.

I do wish you hadn't shown up just in time for one of the weakest entries I've ever sent in! (Right Town, Wrong Address.) And the next one's no better, by the way. Now I'm going to have to try harder.
Yeah it's always weirded me out a bit that someone with almost my same real name came here, and also in my age range. I do remember those orthogonal reviews - that was so fun. I don't remember who I reviewed (you, apparently, and Jon Eric I think).

And it's not too late to buy my CD! I have two out now. The record label insists my second one is better, and I think so too, but it got a lot less attention and raves. If you give me your address I can send you copies actually, (as long as you post on here that you're going to start investigating the Bidens). PM me your address and I'll pop them in the mail.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

welcome back!

I'm one of those that bought both physical CDs. DJ Ranger Den raved when you did your first release, so I bought it on the recommendation. I had heard 'Welcome to Windows' but none of your other songs, and I was not disappointed.

Then I got an email from your record company on 'Both The Planet Frank and The Chet Lambert Show', and said 'why not'?
Man, that was some f'ed up stuff, but I loved it! I liked the audio pastiche you were trying to accomplish - almost oldtimey radio but in your own voice.
I kept finding new things in each play on my commute in the car. Nicely done.

I hope you do Nur Ein this year - BYD has been remiss in entering songfights, but have somehow lasted 9 years in Nur Ein. Hopefully we're back in the mix again this year after SpinTunes (if that hits in January).
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

BoffoYux wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:36 am
welcome back!

I'm one of those that bought both physical CDs. DJ Ranger Den raved when you did your first release, so I bought it on the recommendation. I had heard 'Welcome to Windows' but none of your other songs, and I was not disappointed.

Then I got an email from your record company on 'Both The Planet Frank and The Chet Lambert Show', and said 'why not'?
Man, that was some f'ed up stuff, but I loved it! I liked the audio pastiche you were trying to accomplish - almost oldtimey radio but in your own voice.
I kept finding new things in each play on my commute in the car. Nicely done.

I hope you do Nur Ein this year - BYD has been remiss in entering songfights, but have somehow lasted 9 years in Nur Ein. Hopefully we're back in the mix again this year after SpinTunes (if that hits in January).
Wow! It's really rare for me to hear a story like that, almost as if someone actually was paying attention to the stuff I put so much friggin effort into. I'm so glad SOMEone listened to "Both..." more than one confused time through. I'm simultaneously immensely proud of it and embarrassed at what to me feel like face-palm-y mistakes. Parts 1 and 2 should have been swapped, for example, and I think my original decision to leave aspects of the "story" obscure was wrong - should have either spelled it out clearly or else done away with it altogether. And the cover art was completely wrong. Still, there are like 3-4 tracks that I still actually enjoy listening to.

I've never done Nur Ein. It would probably be good for me, although terrifying, to write so quickly. I'd need a good reason though, because it would require me to temporarily put aside both my Star Trek opera and my next album, (which will be almost completely instrumental).

Anyway thanks! Made my morning!
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

Thank you for writing it! I got hours of enjoyment - I don't have many CDs in the car, so it was in my player for longer than I had planned, I probably got a few dozen plays on it. The car is the best playback system I have, and it's got dolby 5.1 so if people do a stereo/quad mix it's a great place to listen.

I wouldn't stress on 'would/shoulda' beens on the cd. Everyone can nitpick after the fact. Once your baby is out, it's got a life of it's own.
People will attach meaning to it you never even considered. Keeping some things ambiguous will help people find there own interpretation, which can be pretty cool.

Case in point - Jonathan Coulton's 'When You Go'. I know so many people who interpreted it as a sad breakup song. I took it that way. Then I heard in interviews he wrote it as a love letter to his infant daughter. Mind blown. Works both ways.

BYD's been threatening to do a real release for a while now. I'm burdened with too much material. 35 years worth between the comedy troupe and the last decade of music. I thought this year might be the one but I think I'll shoot for 2020 to make it happen. Or just release a single a day for a few years. One of the rigors of having a hobby with no deadlines. If it wasn't for deadlines for Nur Ein and SpinTunes, I don't think we'd actually get any product out there.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

BoffoYux wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:08 pm
I'm burdened with too much material. 35 years worth between the comedy troupe and the last decade of music.
I'm in the same boat. I don't see it as a burden at all though. It's like I have decades of material just sitting around waiting for me to turn into something great. I could probably do two really good CDs right now consisting of entirely trunk songs. Between that, the Star Trek thing and the instrumental album, I've probably got the next decade of releases sewn up. Which is an awesome feeling. But it also makes it really hard to sit down to do a SF song though. Looked at Skeleton Key and thought of how I would approach it, which I know is a good idea, then immediately followed by the realization that I'd need to write something BRAND NEW. Ugh, you gotta be kidding me.

I've had this idea for years of writing super duper short 30-second songs for every fight, but they would all string together fight after fight, so each song would start exactly where the last one left off. This kind of stream of consciousness thing. But even that...
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I recall purchasing JoS’s We are All Famous on iTunes - a fine effort - but for 5 years I had a car that would default to my phone iTunes account every time I started it - and play the first song on the list - ABCD Puppies by Jim of Seattle. I know that song quite intimately. I have a new car now.

It could have been worse. It could have played ABCD Puppies by Caravan Ray. But that’s not on my playlist.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Caravan Ray wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:58 pm
I recall purchasing JoS’s We are All Famous on iTunes - a fine effort - but for 5 years I had a car that would default to my phone iTunes account every time I started it - and play the first song on the list - ABCD Puppies by Jim of Seattle. I know that song quite intimately. I have a new car now.

It could have been worse. It could have played ABCD Puppies by Caravan Ray. But that’s not on my playlist.
I'm going to write AAAAABCD Puppies next.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Not before I write \0!!!PUPPIES!!!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Jim of Seattle wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:07 pm
Caravan Ray wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:58 pm

I'm going to write AAAAABCD Puppies next.
LOL. Currently on the front page -

fifteen years ago
ABCD Puppies

winner: Jim of Seattle