Re-Introductions

New Players stand up and be counted.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

tonetripper wrote:I was speaking of The Hip Cola, but just so y'all know I've tried it but I never inhaled. :shock:
What did The Hip Cola have to say when you tried to inhale him?
Justincombustion
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums. Drums. Drums.
Recording Method: Whatever that stuff in Glenn's basement is.
Submitting as: HalfRacks, Drink/Drank/Drunk, Baby In the Corner, Chuck the Bear

Post by Justincombustion »

j$ wrote:
tonetripper wrote:I was speaking of The Hip Cola, but just so y'all know I've tried it but I never inhaled. :shock:
What did The Hip Cola have to say when you tried to inhale him?
"ahhhh....gently now!!!! Right there....."
"When you can balance a tack-hammer on your head; you can then head off you opponent with a balanced attack!"
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

I'm trying to recall whether or not it was after I gave him a nice, warm glass of chocolate milk........ I'll get back to you both on that one. :twisted:
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

What's that? It's Plat!

Submitting as "The Cow Exchange" usually, but hiding behind other names on occasion. Keyboardist, eccentric computer-geek, wanna-be guitarist, and keyboard drummer. I have way too many "welfare keyboards" from thrift shops, and throw weird stuff on my Dillfrog.com site, including a unique rhyming dictionary, and the unofficial songfight explorer. Lately I've been experimenting with the most excellent Ninjam faketime jamming community. And preparing for marriage! Less than a month to go.

But enough about me, let's talk about you.
Freddielove
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Freddielove »

Ok.

Hi, I am Fred, or Freddielove, which was a name given to me by some ladies, no really.

I like heart to heart conversations till the break of dawn and long walks down the beach. And I don't like mean people.

I heard about Song fight from JD who found out about SF through MC Frontalot's site. I was working on getting a group together for a Crapart AAD when he told me about it. He thought I had already heard of it. Togteher we formed Buffalo Speedway and submitted several songs to mediocre reviews.

currently JD is working on his acting, appearing in several plays around town, and I am now submitting solo with the occasioanl help of J~, who I cajole into singing at odd hours af the night and day (really, it will just take a sec).

One day Buff Speed will return, to even mediocrer reviews.
Everything But the Girl but without the scary big chinned woman

- Furrypedro
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

songfight explorer rocks!
Plat wrote:And preparing for marriage! Less than a month to go.
hey, congratulations! it's fun, i can speak from recent experience ;)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

hi

my name is blue and i wish i could afford to be an alcoholic.

i found songfight when slashdot linked to exploding dog, in whatever year that was, and greatly enjoyed the birds of our own fight. i filed songfight into my 'online places to find cool music' folder, along with mp3.com (remember when you could buy cheapo CD's from them? that ruled) and maintained a passing interest until my current band got up the nerve to start entering fights.

since then, i've entered a billion fights under a billion names and with a billion other people. i don't think i could remember them all even if i tried.

i like to cook.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Well, if Blue is doing it ....

My name is Johnny Cashpoint. I currently plague the fights under the name Jay String (given me by Sven Mullet), where you will find my voice is an aquired taste. I infest the boards under the name 'j$' (given me by Niveous) where you will find my Sahara-dry wit is very much an aquired taste.

There is little relief from the Cashpoint house of hits - I try and post a song every week (I've missed two weeks in a year and a half I believe) while on the boards I am the "self-proclaimed king of posting", apparently.

I came via Otis Fodder's 365 Days project, just in time for the 'Please Don't Call Me Ken' fight. That site is no longer active, so there's no way back :)

j$
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

... And since Johnny's doin' it...

Hi! My name is Heather and I am the singer and occasional bass player for the Hell Yeahs. I came to Songfight via my husband Phil of Abominominous and Spy vs. Pie (and of course, the Hell Yeahs). I started just as a lurker, then reviewing fights that Phil was involved in. My first faux pas on the message boards was a snide remark about the Idiot Kings that got me in serious trouble with Jack Shite! Phil and I have since become the best of friends with Jack.

The Hell Yeahs entered our first fight in April of 2004. We have participated in 11 official fights and numerous sidefights, coverfights and Hxaros.

I just had a baby, our second child, and we will be moving into our first owned home at the end of this month. Once Phil is settled into his new basement studio, I'm sure the Hell Yeahs will fight again.
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

I'm still at lurker level for the most part. I've finished only a couple solo entries, cowbell'd on another and helped with some last-minute drum programming on a fourth. I have about a dozen half-finished entries, most of which will probably never see the light of day. I found SongFight! from a friend, and my first faux pas on the message boards was either overreacting to blue's warm welcome, or trashing on cashpoint's Direct To Helmet, or possibly both at the same time. And yes, I likes me some of that jass musics.
Let cake eat them.
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Hi, I'm Mogosagatai. I used to be called "user", until I realized a more applicable name. I'm a member of several SF "bands", many of which are one-shots, others which are repeat customers, such as Karl's Mom & the Delicate Flowers and Phunt Your Friends (both of which are collababorative efforts). I love this place, despite that I hate most people (turns out I'm a spiteful loner, according to some dumb personality quiz online). I'm a cynical old bastard who loves making music. I've been a part of 34 SF submissions so far, and I plan to keep going as long as I can muster it. Three cheers for Song Fight, and then three more!
chucky
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth

Post by chucky »

my name is chucky and i'm an alcoholic. my real name is kevin alborough..

i'm 20, born march 21st in the year of our lord, 1985.

i'm canadian. i like mexican food, black coffee, irish whiskey, chinese cars, and women of all nationalities.

i play guitar, keyboard, a little bit of bass, and i recently picked up an electric chord organ for 5 bones (that's dollars, in canadian). i most certainly do not sing (nor do i rap), as most of you already know.. been in some bands, right now working on a couple projects and band-y type.. things.. and stuff.. like that.

i grew up loving, and still do, punk rock, metal, rock n roll, and other noisy things. currently i hate punk rock, metal, rock n roll, and other soulless things that we hear on television and see on the radio, and buy in our cereal boxes.. what i really like these days is "indie" rock. i know that can mean anything. i also am not a fan of putting genre tags on things.

i like books, art, music, booze, fire, scenes containing violence, nudity, coarse language, stupid shit on the internet, cartoons, eating paper, touchin stuff, and lookin' at things. i enjoy long walks on the people and meeting new beaches. i'm going to college this september in north bay, ontario to take advertising. i took film production for a year but it sucked balls.. they would not let me make dirty movies; so i guess that's really why i'm back here on songfight: to find somebody to make dirty movies with.
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

HillBilly here-mountains of North Carolina, just moved from Raleigh, life was too fast there. Just bought a 2 story handyman special in a little crossroads called Carbon City. I enjoy remodeling, trout fishing, 4 wheelers and bar hoes.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

Post by king_arthur »

I'm King Arthur (real name Charles Wolff) from Phoenix, Arizona. I found out about SF either from rec.music.makers.songwriting or from Glade's Songwriter Message Board. Old guy (53) who was a software engineer for Motorola until about two years ago, a student ever since 'cause I couldn't face job hunting.

Been playing guitar for 46 years and writing songs for 37... lifetime goal is to write and record a thousand songs, currently up to 801 written / 799 recorded. A bunch of that was Christian / worship stuff, including a lot of "contemporary worship" songs since '94. Came to SF to find out if I still knew how to write a real song, and other than being hopelessly out of date style-wise, I guess the answer is "maybe." Current leader for the SF King Arthur award (most SF entries under a single name without a win). Target of the first super secret hxaro lovefest, which was pretty cool...

Current recording setup is a Yamaha AW16 digital recorder, '57 Strat, Martin HD35 acoustic, Pod XT, Roland XV-5050 synth module and XP-10 synth, some sort of Epiphone bass, Oktava MK-219 vocal mic, and then a few other instruments lying about here and there. I use "Band In A Box" to do my drum programming (and occasionally keyboards and/or bass) and mix through 7506 headphones. Almost entirely a "lyrics first" songwriter, though the music sometimes starts developing along with the lyrics.

Musical influences: Grateful Dead, Beatles, Jackson Browne, Joni Mitchell, Jimmy Buffett, Larry Norman, Bruce Cockburn... big fan of Prince's music, as well, but it probably doesn't show up as an influence as much as those others...

That is plenty...

Charles (Art is my middle name!)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Hi I am abecedarian. I am a person newly emerged from trying times and will begin submitting music again soon.
Dan-O from Five-O
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Mandolin all graded on a sliding scale
Recording Method: Mixer to a Fostex D-160

Post by Dan-O from Five-O »

Hi, I'm Dan-O. If you don't already, you will either come to hate me or love me. So far the latter has only happened once, so I married her and bred 3 lovely looking, incredibly smart-ass children. By smart-ass I mean both intelligent and quick-witted biting in commentary. You see it has a dual meaning making it a homonym. No? Nevermind.

So you want to know about me? Very well, where should I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims, like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. A sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. If I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard, really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fifteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum. At the age of eighteen, I went off to evil music school.

From there I found Songfight and mostly hang out writing longwinded posts and reviews critical of everything for no apparent reason. I have completed only two official entries, one sidefight and one coverfight that no one can listen to apparently. I have about another dozen entries that didn't beat the deadline but inspired me to write a song, and that's the main thing I love about this place. The inspiration.

Oh and I've been an alcoholic since the day I found it. I'm Irish see and.... No? Nevermind.
jb wrote:Dan-O has a point.
JB
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

Hi I am stueym, husband of the long suffering Sarah, father of Bjam and her older brother Jamraza. Only professional qualification is as a registered psychiatric nurse. A wistful, wannabe troubadour but the income comes from working in a senior sales consulting role for a US healthcare IT solutions company. British by birth and Sottish by the grace of god. Born and raised in Ayrshire, Scotland famous for Robert Burns, Troon, Turnberry and brown and white cows.

Learned guitar and sundry other stringed plucked and picked instruments from the age of 11. Had an EKO jumbo western style guitar that was a glorified plank of wood, had an action you could use to make chips (steak fries to our american hosts) and I carted around on my back in a large canvas bag as previously issued to sailors for their belongings...perfect guitar case!!. Played on the Scottish folk club circuit doing primarily scottish traditional folk music with a mix of contemporary pop-folk and a flirting with rock and/or roll music with my brother who played bass. Love almost all styles of melodic and rythmic music. Not keen on the avant-garde styles of many. If its got a story in the lyrics I am so much more inclinced to listen and like (see told you I was a wannabe troubadour!! :-))

Have been infatuated with Ovation guitars for almost 30 years and now have a health collection of 3 Adamas (2x6, 1x12), matching pair of Ovation custom legend AD2's and an Ovation Mandolin. Got hold of cubasis 4 years ago, but didnt really play with recording til last year. Now got a dedicated PC with Cbase SX3, lots of other Steinberg toys and the Yamaha 01X as a control surface/recording interface. It is awesomely powerful and well beyond my meagre capabilities. I love being able to try and get lots of elements that I can write/play and sing along to.

Introduced to Songfight by Bjam and delighted to be here. My daughter's passion and friendships here have encouraged me to make more effort to participate.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in Boston and to those of you who won't be there...hope to see you real soon someplace else.

Slàinte mhòr agad!
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

This thread is starting to rule. Dan-o. that was awesome.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

King Arthur: You MUST let us hear the two songs out of eight hundred and one that you have not previously recorded.

Also please describe in general terms what sort of path I'd need to be on to get into your will re: that '57 strat. Things like rigging songfight, marrying of daughters.. whatever you need done.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

stueym wrote: British by birth and Sottish by the grace of god.
Hey - weren't you one of The Proclaimers?
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Leaf wrote:This thread is starting to rule. Dan-o. that was awesome.
Mike Myers thought so too!
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

Hey'uh!

I'm HipCola. I like good music, dislike shit music. I'll like shit music better if it sounds good. I decide which is shit. I really like production, some might say at the expense of good music, that's fine. My posse is getting bigger. Gert is really hot on my radar right now. redcar has withstood all the crapstorms brung and still kicks it, but currently has been assimilated by The Gert. Resistance is ----.

There are many legends here, and I love that about SF. You can be one too.

SongFight rules, has become my best friend and continues to challenge my marriage. I love the crazy variety of music found at SongFight. I always wish I had more time to give 'er.

I will never stop trying to make the music found here sound better through the use of production. Napoleon Dynamite is the best movie I've seen in a long long time.