First Song Fight

New Players stand up and be counted.
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

Here's my experience. When I first joined SF, I made a song for Crack in My Heart. In the thread for the fight, I said something like -
jolly roger wrote:I wrote and recorded this song in about 20 minutes so not much thought went into the chord sequence. I also have only been playing guitar for about 2 months so that's why it's not great.
As if. I still can't write and record a song in 20 minutes. I put lots of thought into it, and I did my best. (It was true that I'd had only been playing guitar for 2 months). The truth is, most new artists realize that their music isn't up to par with most artists', so excuses are made in order to create the illusion that they didn't really try. I notice this with a lot of new SF artists.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Why'd you lie? That seems weird to me.

I really don't care how bad someone's production values are. If the late Elliott Smith wrote a new song and sent it via satellite from heaven straight through the crappy 4-track he used to record Roman Candle and entered it into a SongFight, he'd probably get my vote (on his way to being trounced by Puce). Because he can write a song.
The Weakest Suit
Mean Street
Submitting as: The Weakest Suit, Test Week Hiatus, Observati, Alienboy, FAWMit, FACE, Epitaphs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by The Weakest Suit »

frankie big face wrote:Why'd you lie? That seems weird to me.

I really don't care how bad someone's production values are. If the late Elliott Smith wrote a new song and sent it via satellite from heaven straight through the crappy 4-track he used to record Roman Candle and entered it into a SongFight, he'd probably get my vote (on his way to being trounced by Puce). Because he can write a song.
frankie, i still get your "heart of a lion" song running through my head every now and then. i still don't know how anyone could choose between those two songs.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

frankie big face wrote: If the late Elliott Smith wrote a new song and sent it via satellite from heaven straight through the crappy 4-track he used to record Roman Candle and entered it into a SongFight, he'd probably get my vote.
...and I would probably say the song was a boring piece of crap from a whiny, pretentious twat.

That's how Songfight works!

(Elliot Smith is right up there with Coldplay and The Shins on my 'inexplicably popular" list)
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Yeah, I think most people who do this aren't lying about it. I think they're only putting in 10 minutes so they can lie to themselves with self-assurances that they could have made something of quality if only they'd tried. They get to ignore any negative comments (because those comments aren't about the writer's *real* songmaking ability) and still bask in the glow of anyone who happens to like it, or thinks that it's okay for a song written in 10 minutes.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

what? there's a correlation between effort and quality?

maybe in the FAQ, slotted nicely between 2 existing paragraphs, something along the lines of.....

What do I get if I win?
Bragging rights. Satisfaction. The jealous glances of strangers sitting next to you on the subway.

What do I get if I send in something that sucks?
Evicerated in the forum for starters. Despite the silly name and open submission format, people on Songfight! take their craft seriously and submit their best efforts with pride in their submissions. Sending in songs that show no effort only wastes everyone's time and bandwidth so please don't suck by submitting your suck.

I have an idea! Now what?
Post your suggestions in the Suggestion/Complaint thread on the message board or send all your clever ideas directly to your friendly neighborhood FightMaster.
Hi!